Silverline DVD-A Winners & Losers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that. I might as well pick Dizzy up if I see it again.

I listened to this one again this evening to refresh my fuzzy memory.
This is a reissue of 2 LPs on the Perception label plus a third live album (not the live in paris '73 called The Giant).
The first LP 'The Real Thing' is very funky jazz. The second LP 'Portrait of Jenny' is definitely jazz genre. The 3rd live in nyc is definitely jazz.
All are stereo recordings, the surround mix is derived from the stereo, derived ambience only in the rears.

noffour

Sex Pistols - No Future U.K. might be the worst-sounding DVD-A known to man. My only comfort is that I paid less than 8 bucks, including shipping from Corea :yikes

Sex Pistols - No Future U.K. might be the worst-sounding DVD-A known to man. My only comfort is that I paid less than 8 bucks, including shipping from Corea :yikes

I didn't expect it to sound GOOD, but it is pretty bad indeed. Have never compared it to my original vinyl of Spunk, but maybe I should...

Mark Z

Thanks to the suggestions I got on this thread, I ended up picking up John Hammond's Rough & Tough SACD and a couple of Eric Bibb's SACDs. The John Hammond disc blew me away because it is the kind of blues I absolutely love (raw/emotional/nothing fancy just straight up goodness) and the Eric Bibb discs were not too exciting to me. I think the best thing about the John Hammond disc is that the recording makes it sound very live and you really feel like your in a small dirty bar listening to the man...great :)

Eric Bibb is definitely not traditional blues, but he is quite talented. I would equate him to someone like Keb Mo (for the most part) in that he utilizes aspects of blues and other genres in his music, but really, I didn't think his recordings (those I've heard thus far) were anything to get excited about.

Thanks for the suggestions and I am waiting on a Rory Block sacd to arrive.

Cheers, GabeL

I just picked up a used copy of Live from the Front Row John Entwhistle for $5. It seems to be the same 1975 live concert released a couple of times on cd. The credits don't specify. I only listened to it once so I'll give it another chance but at first blush there is strong center channel action with some information coming from the rears but not real discrete. Sound quality is ok not stunning but if this is live from 1975 thats understandable. There appears to be alot of Silverline From the Front Row DVDAs and I wonder if anyone can reccomend any of the others. Anyways at least I have a replacement early style super jewel case now. All the used DVDAs left at Amoeba records appear to be silverlines.....

Jeff

well I agree with most of you but I will go so far as to say as for sound quality I have not heard one silverline release that is decent. The only redeeming quality of silverline is that they had revived alot of music that had long been tossed away by other record companies, and some of it very good, allowing us a chance to hear stuff that was not available. so for that alone I give them a C+. which may be generous but I'm sticking to it.

i will like to include in the list of Silverline winners, the Mineral albums (The Power of Failing and End Serenading) and Motorhead´s Ace of Spades, this last one, i know it is not the best surround title in the world, but the mix is really good and very powerful (if you like heavy metal, like Metallica or AC-DC) i have heard this title probably 6 times (without skipping tracks) since i own it (one month ago).
I also enjoy "Inside the music - Women on top", not a very agressive use of rears, and the mixes are different for all the tracks, but all the songs included are very enjoyable and "listenable", all my friends found it very enjoyable even though they arent surround enthusiasts.

I believe Living Colour's "Collideoscope" was a Silverline disc. Absolutely atrocious, flat, unimaginative 5.1 mix.

I totally disagree.
OK, the 1st song is stereo but it is a VERY active surround mix in many songs and I don't find it flat at all.
Sting's "Ten Summoner Tales" is the a limp gland, this is not.
Yes the sound is a bit muddy here and there, but I guess it's part of the production.
I would rate this a solid 8 for 5.1 mix.
The music is something else, not quite up to LC's standard but not atrocious, a 6.

I totally disagree.
OK, the 1st song is stereo but it is a VERY active surround mix in many songs and I don't find it flat at all.
Sting's "Ten Summoner Tales" is the a limp gland, this is not.
Yes the sound is a bit muddy here and there, but I guess it's part of the production.
I would rate this a solid 8 for 5.1 mix.
The music is something else, not quite up to LC's standard but not atrocious, a 6.

one man's 8 is another's...... ;)

not a huge fan of the album either. bought the surround while picking at the carcass of a closing Tower Records. i thought it was weak (as the even newer album is as well) comeback, with the "Back and Black" cover silly. there is one song, "Flying," which i think is just stellar, though. one of the best, and most haunting, 9/11-related songs I've ever heard.

The Gloria Record - The Gloria Record/A Lull In Traffic
Anyone know if all Silverline's crank! releases are fake surround?

Has anyone heard T-Bone Walker's Back on the Scene 2003 DVD-A on Silverline? I cant find any comments in the forum and was wondering if its one to stay clear of also. Thanks!

I thought I had added my $.02. Just looked thru my collection. I like:

Cell: Five - Correctional Facilities. Great whiz-bang, discrete stuff, appropriate for the electronic material
XXL from Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band. Awesome performances, recording and discrete mix. Even better than Swingin' For The Fences. Probably my favorite Big Band surround disc
The Mavericks. Pretty good, nothing amazing, but I like it
The Jane Monheit discs are fabulous
Surrounded by Tipper. Another aggressively discrete electronica title

I like 3 of the Inside The Music Silverlines. Surf's Up, New Wave and Classic Country. I hated the one with the Pat Benatar song on it. I even complained about it to Silverline. Got rid of that. Forget what it was called. Women on Top ? Maybe.

Since there is no poll for this title, I just put it here.

Blondie; "The Curse Of Blondie"

Just got this Dual Disc the other day and was very pleasantly surprised! It is 5.1 MLP and the mix ranges from very good to downright aggressive. Not like most Silverline releases at all. The music is not exactly my thing, popish with most songs having a prominent dance beat. Kind of a mixed bag of sounds overall but after repeated listening's you can't deny that this thing rocks.

The other two audio tracks are DD 2.0 and DD 5.1. So if your looking for Hirez stereo, it's not there. It includes one video which is interestingly fun. Considering her age Blondie is holding up pretty well and her voice is still spot on.

It had a pretty good review in Rolling Stone when it came out and I remember at the time thinking it would be a good one to pick up. Being a Silverline title I shied away and never did. Now that I'm scratching for new surround music to listen to I stumbled upon this one again and thought I'd give it a try and was not disappointed.

My Pioneer shows it as 24/48 PPCM. I really have no way of measuring but the record quality sounds good to me - 9. The mix is very good - 10. The content is not bad - 7.

There are still 9 left at Amazon for $13.99. How can you go wrong?

http://www.amazon.com/Blondie-Curse/dp/B00067Z2W8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1300214027&sr=1-3

Dennis

I thought I'd summarise the list as I've found some of the Silverline discs at a local chain store !!!!! I think they brought them in cheap from the US!

Silverline DVD-A Titles That Shine
Aaron Neville - Believe
Aaron Neville-Devotion
Atomic Rooster - Best of
Awaken
Big Band Christmas Vols 1&2
Big Bill Broozy - 1955 London Sessions
Big Head Todd and the Monsters
BJ Cole -Trouble in Paradise (Immergent)
Blondie -The Curse Of Blondie
Blue Oyster Cult - A Long Day’s Night
Blues Traveller - Truth Be Told
Brimstone Butterfly - Normality Killed The Cat
Bruce Dickinson - Balls To Picasso
Classic Christmas - LSO
Corrosion of Conformity America's Volume Dealer
Dar Williams - both
David Becker Tribute - Germerica
David Diggs - E-Klek-Trik
Dishwalla - Opaline
Fairport Convention
Gary Moore (not discrete but still ok)
Gary Numan - Anthology
Glen Phillips - Abulum
Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Swingin' For the Fences
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - Greatest Hits
Gus Black - Uncivilized Love
Inside The Music - New Age (other titles spotty)
Jackie Leven - Shining Brother Shining Sister
Jane Monheit -All three
Jimmy Witherspoon - The Blues, the Whole Blues and Nothing but the Blues
Lauren Ellis - Feels like Family
Mineral - The Power of Failing"
Ministry - Animositisomina
Moist Machine - Punch Through
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
Poncho Sanchez - Poncho at Montreux
Queensryche -Tribe
Rambient - So Many Worlds
Richard Thompson - Old Kit Bag
Robert Cray - Time Will Tell
Shankar & Gingger -One In A Million
Sugar Hill Gang
The Church -Forget Yourself
The Fixx - 1011 Woodland
The Mavericks
Tipper - Surrounded
Toots and the Maytalls - In the Dark
Van Zant - Brother To Brother
Van Zant - Van Zant II
Widespread Panic - Ball
Ziroq

Silverline DVD-A Titles To Avoid
Corrosion of Conformity -Live Volume (sped up recording!)
Desmond Dekker
Greg Kihn (fake surround)
Jack Bruce - Shadows In The Air (ctr/rr sounds like megaphone)
The Heptones - Cool Rasta
Living Colour - Collideoscope
REO Speedwagon (fade ins & fade outs = incomplete songs)
Rick Wakeman - Live From the Front Row (more like the parking lot)
Sex Pistols - No Future U.K.
Uriah Heep - Best Of
Various Artists - Reggae Pulse
X-ray Spex - Germfree Adolescents

Last edited:
I just picked up one not on this list for pretty cheap on ebay: The Icarus Line - Mono. With a name like that and on Silverline (Crank!), you wouldn't expect much discrete separation. I think it sounds pretty good. The music is a cross between the Jesus Lizard and Laughing Hyenas, so caveat emptor applies here. For me, the screaming vocals wear out their welcome after a while, but in small doses, this one is a winner.

Interesting that you have the Robert Cray in the "To Be Avoided" column.

What is the problem with it?

Almost bought a mint used copy yesterday, but decided to pass.....maybe I made the right decision :)

Refer to post 11 in this thread from Neil..

The Robert Cray disc shouldn't be in the avoid list, I'll amend my list....

Back