Silverline DVD-A Winners & Losers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can add Dokken-Erase the Slate to the loser pile.

The sound is muddy at best. The mix is muted and uninspiring. At $3.00 I paid $2.99 too much.

Anybody have "Tribe" by Queensryche? It was mentioned in thís thread that this is a good release, but I cannot find any other information about it. I see there's a DVD-A and DualDisc version out there, both available pretty cheap. How is the music? How is the mix? Sound quality? Does the DualDisc have hi-res audio?

Anybody have "Tribe" by Queensryche? It was mentioned in thís thread that this is a good release, but I cannot find any other information about it. I see there's a DVD-A and DualDisc version out there, both available pretty cheap. How is the music? How is the mix? Sound quality? Does the DualDisc have hi-res audio?

I have the DVD-A its not bad - in fact better than Empire...mix is good and the SQ is not bad either...

I can't comment on the dualdisc, but it should be the same...

Nobody's mentioned Pat Benatar; not my favorite, but some fairly decent live tracks; IMO
Surround mix, is fair, at best; doesn't sound like 5.1
Sort of reminds me of Pete Townsend's/"Who Came First"/DVD/A
One of the worst 5.1 issues; I sent it back; actually, was bummed, because the
original Rhino CD was excellent. When the DVD/A is inferior to the CD..................................

The two Dar Williams DVDA's aren't too bad - in particular 'The Beauty of the Rain' I also like Hane Monheit's Come Dream with Me (but that could be because I recently saw her in concert!) :)

Not an impressive mix. It appears to be an"upmix" from a stereo source.

Yep - Silverline-Surround-o-Matic.

Oh well - at least I got a mint sealed small Hinge DVD-A case.

Last edited:
I've given up on the Silverline's completely now! There's just too many crap ones! I think there's only the couple of Gordon Goodwin DVD-A's that haikubass recommended to me I've still to get and then I'm done with them! :)

I've seen several mentions that the Dar Williams ones are worthwhile and I resisted buying as I love her earlier stuff but the two dvd-a releases were not (imho) her best efforts. But, having seen "The Green World" listed for $2. + shipping it was hard to resist and I feel it's the better of the two so I look a little forward to getting it. If it helps change my opinion of that album maybe I'll give the other a go.

totally agree with your findings, Dennis.

The Blondie DualDisc is the only Silverline I've really enjoyed and kept, apart from
The Fairport Convention DVDA which sounds good but I'm not that fussed about the performances.

Just got this for £3.99 plus £1.26 P&P.

Another great Silverline disc is (oddly) the Sex Pistols "No Future UK" release.
Not because it is a great surround mix - it isn't, it is well faked with just ambient rears, but because of what it really is:
It is the pre-NMTB Dave Goodman sessions - done as a bootleg originally called S'punk and long unavailable until it got a reissue with modern remastering on Universal.
You can hear how the Pistols really sounded as the NMTB album sounds - to me - like the producers speeded up the tape.

Well I'm happy to eat my words! There's at least one more Silverline winner I didn't have!

Todd Rundgren's "Liars".. available almost everywhere for a couple of quid, nice album (slightly cheap home studio production) but mix is great - its a keeper! Woo!

Dar Williams' Green World on its way, plus a couple of other Silverline's (incl. Jack Bruce - I'm prepared for the worst, the surrounds supposed to be awful.!) while they're still cheap & easy to get.

Well I'm happy to eat my words! There's at least one more Silverline winner I didn't have!

Todd Rundgren's "Liars".. available almost everywhere for a couple of quid, nice album (slightly cheap home studio production) but mix is great - its a keeper! Woo!

Dar Williams' Green World on its way, plus a couple of other Silverline's (incl. Jack Bruce - I'm prepared for the worst, the surrounds supposed to be awful.!) while they're still cheap & easy to get.

I bought it a few years back BQQ (Before I found QQ polls!) "Liars" is good from a musical perspective and a good mix. Jack Bruce isn't the best, but if it was cheap it'll be OK.

I want to challenge Corrosion Of Conformity 'America's Volume Dealer' as being a winner. The sound quality is ok, but it's not discrete at all - it just sounds like the stereo mix has been 'unwrapped' or whatever process they were using at the time.

Has anyone ever seen Money Mark 'Change Is Coming'? It was supposedly released in October 2002, but I've never seen a copy of it anywhere. I love his two previous solo albums (and work with the Beastie Boys) so it's always been on my wishlist.

just spent the last ten minutes looking around for the Money Mark DVD-A (it came up in a search one time, the cover art is familiar but I didn't pursue it further) anyhoo.. none of the usual avenues go anywhere, variety of sellers just say its "unavailable" etc.

Back