Steven Wilson ELP-Trilogy

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texquad

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
What happened with Steven and "Trilogy"? I know he's not interested in certain titles, and I also thought I'd read on Hoffman's site something about the relationship with ELP or management had maybe gone bad. Too bad no Trilogy 5.1, it deserves it.

What happened with Steven and "Trilogy"? I know he's not interested in certain titles, and I also thought I'd read on Hoffman's site something about the relationship with ELP or management had maybe gone bad. Too bad no Trilogy 5.1, it deserves it.

http://jakkomusic.com/surround.html

Steven has passed on all ELP remixing work to his good friend Jakko Jakszyk, another capable 5.1 surround mixer who has already remixed albums like "A Scarcity of Miracles", Ian Anderson's "Homo Erraticus", and ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery" in 5.1. He is also working on the remix of King Crimson's "THRAK" in 5.1 as well, and that is expected to be released next year.
So "Trilogy" is coming, but we don't know exactly when. It could be this fall or next year.

I haven't heard Jakko's new 5.1 mix of BBS, but then I haven't read good things about it either. Hopefully his new 5.1 Trilogy will be great and affordable!

Last edited:
I have been waiting for the Trilogy release for a long time.
My personal favorite from ELP.
I am sure that Jakko will do it justice.:smokin

It was partly as a result of doing the first 2 ELP mixes, that I came to the conclusion that I didn't really want to remix an album in future unless:

1. I could be sure of having proper feedback and positive interest from the artist (or at least someone representing the band). In the case of ELP they were sent all the remixes and the proposed bonus tracks several months in advance - these attempts were met largely with indifference. Afterwards when various issues were raised I believe they claimed to have never been given this opportunity. Needless to say left rather a bitter taste.

2. I could honestly say I was a genuine fan of the music. In the case of ELP it was a part of progressive rock history I did not especially enjoy myself, but I realised that for some fans these albums are the very pinnacle of the genre. This made me feel I was the wrong person to be working on them (and conversely the way I feel about the likes of King Crimson, Yes, Tears for Fears, XTC..etc.. I believe makes me the *right* person for these artists!)

In this case I was happy to recommend my friend Jakko as an excellent successor to continue the catalogue.

Thanks Steve, for an honest description of the situation. You would think anything put out with your legacy involved might be something to be important and be responsive. Many musicians are too worried about the next gig, or the Scottrade account at that age. But Thanks for being involved to help these guys realize the value in reissuing in the correct way. There is a multitude of artists who will appreciate the effort and be responsive and excited. And many folks who love the results!

I still think you would have done an excellent job remixing "Trilogy", Steven, but I'm glad that you are passionate enough to give your all to the albums you do really care about, as I believe it makes them that much better!

Personally ; I think Mr. Wilson (may I call you that, Steven?) is way too polite to say that someone in the camp, who was the producer of the original LP, is a pain in the ASS to work with...

I also believe he was met with indifference from the ELP members...they don't seem to be too much into the whole surround thing, which is ironic (the Quad PA used in their tours)

Good ole Jakko will do a great job- I am one of the few fans of his BSS remix, it did capture the "dark" mood of the original one....

Back