BluRay Music Video Poll The Beatles - A HARD DAYS NIGHT (CRITERION) - [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BluRay of The Beatles - A HARD DAYS NIGHT (CRITERION) [BluRay]

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003

Attachments

• AHDN.jpg
    AHDN.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 860
The only "cons" on this release is the non participation of Ringo and Paul. And the outtake of "You Can't Do That" looks grotty...It look so much better on the "Making of" documentary from the 90's. Not enough to keep me giving this a 10.

This is a totally awesome presentation. Audio and picture are first rate and the 5.1 mix sounds great.

There aren't enough pimply hyperboles to describe the fabness of this release. Top notch film, video & audio quality and extras. 10.

The picture quality is fantastic, I give it a 10. The clarity of the audio is the best I've every heard it, although it is really only 3 channel with some ambiance in the rears. The snippet of "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "All My Loving" are also very good considering they only exist on two track and "she Loves You" also very good considering it's upmixed from mono. The only songs I noticed as being slowed down to 24fps were "And I Love Her" and "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You".
My biggest gripe is the "repair" of "If I Fell", the flown in "was in vain" is about a second behind the original so you now get "was in was in vain", I can understand trying to fix Paul's voice crack but now it sounds worse and stands out like a sore thumb.Overall this a great package, great picture and audio quality and feast of extras, I would have given it a 10 but the "was in vain" issue annoys me, so 9 overall.

On which sound mixes does this was in was in vain problem occur. Just the 5.1, or is it on the stereo and mono mixes also?

On which sound mixes does this was in was in vain problem occur. Just the 5.1, or is it on the stereo and mono mixes also?

It's on the 5.1 and the stereo but not the mono.
I've just noticed that on my copy (Australian) only the 5.1 audio is DTS-MA, all the others are Dolby Digital.

I had the previous blu ray version of this film and this is far superior in every respect. I usually don't use the word amazing very often but it applies here. When you consider the age and source of this film the end result is remarkable. This is 10 all the way. I only hope that THE BIG CHILL is as good as this one; great songs in that movie. I've been waiting a long time for that film to be released on blu ray and to have Criterion do it is a wish come true for me.

This is such an improvement overall that a 10 is warranted. The localization of the instruments on I Should Have Known Better as well as And I Love Her, make up for the 1/2-second of "was in was in vain" on "If I Fell". The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is how good of a job was done with the audio mastering. The LFE levels (and they are relatively low most of the time) and bass EQ are spot-on and the front/rear balance which was a problem on some Apple releases is again spot-on with the DTS-HD 5.1-channel track.

It's also the only time for a while (I fear) that we will hear the results of going back to the original 4-track masters. The dynamic range increase is noticeable.

Overall, I'm quite comfortable with a 10. Others in the movie industry should use A Hard Days Night as what to strive for in a restoration (picture and audio).

Andy

have not seen the previous version, but this one is terrific. really good cleanup of the film that remains true to it's original film and subtle grain that I LOVE! Ad the audio of course is very well done by a master production engineer, who better than him to do this?
Whats next? "let it be"

So what are the audio streams please?
Presumably DTS-HD MA for the 5.1 to cover the legacy users, but what about the mono/stereo streams?

This is my favourite Beatles film. It's the one that I was most looking forward to. I absolutely HATE the 5.1 mix. I HATE the sound quality of the music. After the generally superb sound on Help!, Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine this is hard to stomach.

Even 2 is generous.

The Blu-ray will gather dust on the shelf. For me it's a complete waste of polycarbonate. I'll stick with the old DVD.

Could you please explain why you find this mix so bad? While some might argue with the use of the rear channels, in general the sound quality has generated only praise. So, I'm curious what you find so "hard to stomach".

Could you please explain why you find this mix so bad? While some might argue with the use of the rear channels, in general the sound quality has generated only praise. So, I'm curious what you find so "hard to stomach".

I find the sound of the main songs - i.e. those on side 1 of AHDN LP - very "modern" and "digital" in nature, completely out of character with the sound way back in 1964. There didn't seem to be a lot going on in the rear speakers, and the mix of the title track didn't seem to have a lot of separation from left to right either.

I was hoping for something with a mix and sound rather like that of Help! which to me is completely in character for its era yet with a full surround mix.

The only saving grace for me is the mixing of the tracks from With The Beatles which to my ears paradoxically sounded better than the main songs.

Maybe I expected too much.

I find the sound of the main songs - i.e. those on side 1 of AHDN LP - very "modern" and "digital" in nature, completely out of character with the sound way back in 1964. There didn't seem to be a lot going on in the rear speakers, and the mix of the title track didn't seem to have a lot of separation from left to right either.

I was hoping for something with a mix and sound rather like that of Help! which to me is completely in character for its era yet with a full surround mix.

The only saving grace for me is the mixing of the tracks from With The Beatles which to my ears paradoxically sounded better than the main songs.

Remember, when we 1st heard this it was on very inferior equipment, and recorded on sub-par recording equipment, most likely in mono? I think your not considering those factors in the decision. For me, I thought it was pretty good overall. With DTS master I guess you expect "more", but it is what it is- a 50 year old recording.

I'm glad you responded and at least gave a reason for such a low score; but about the only thing I could agree with in your posts is that you had unrealistic expectations. I've had this movie in various formats over the years and this version is vastly superior to any of the previous ones. The 2002 Miramax DVD version was horrible; especially the audio. I doubt I could find anyone else that prefers the DVD to this blu ray version, in any respect.

Last edited:
Watched this twice through. First in 5.1, 2nd in mono.
It's been a while, but this is by far the best version I've seen and heard.
Some have complained that the 5.1 is really a 3.1 and Giles M. has addressed this.
I am totally fine with this and the music has never sounded better to me.
As far a musically the killer is She Loves You.
What a great song and visual presentation.
oxenholme,
I don't know that your expecting too much or expecting something that never was.
If you prefer a DVD version of this film over the Criterion, I'm baffled.

Watched this twice through. First in 5.1, 2nd in mono.
It's been a while, but this is by far the best version I've seen and heard.
Some have complained that the 5.1 is really a 3.1 and Giles M. has addressed this.
I am totally fine with this and the music has never sounded better to me.
As far a musically the killer is She Loves You.
What a great song and visual presentation.
oxenholme,
I don't know that your expecting too much or expecting something that never was.
If you prefer a DVD version of this film over the Criterion, I'm baffled.

That's exactly the point I was trying to convey...some people romanticize about that period of time but the reality never matches the actual events..

Back