Steven Wilson A quick question on Robert Fripp's "Exposure"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G E

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Hello,

A few weeks ago I picked up a mint used vinyl copy of Exposure. It had been quite some time since I last heard it and when I played it again decades later I was unprepared. It is a masterpiece! Some of it echoes his past, other parts emerged in future KC projects. This may be Mr. Fripp's most intimate work. It deserves wider exposure.

Which brings me to my question: Is Exposure being considered for a 5.1 project? It would be great to see the original release and the envisioned release with more of Daryl Hall and Debbie Harry in a hi-res format in both stereo and surround.

And thanks again for all the projects, looking forward to the Gentle Giant releases!

ge

Hello,

A few weeks ago I picked up a mint used vinyl copy of Exposure. It had been quite some time since I last heard it and when I played it again decades later I was unprepared. It is a masterpiece! Some of it echoes his past, other parts emerged in future KC projects. This may be Mr. Fripp's most intimate work. It deserves wider exposure.

Which brings me to my question: Is Exposure being considered for a 5.1 project? It would be great to see the original release and the envisioned release with more of Daryl Hall and Debbie Harry in a hi-res format in both stereo and surround.

And thanks again for all the projects, looking forward to the Gentle Giant releases!

ge

Great album - my favourite Fripp solo album - by far.

The Crimson Projeckt played Breathess from this at the recent concert....

Fripp, & Wilson are you listening? Time for a re-issue in 5.1....

Great album - my favourite Fripp solo album - by far.

The Crimson Projeckt played Breathess from this at the recent concert....

Fripp, & Wilson are you listening? Time for a re-issue in 5.1....

Here here great album, very much in need of the Wilson 5.1 treatment

ya it's a great album, when it came out and first heard it I had to get the promo poster too for it.

A mighty fine album! I would certainly be happy to consider doing it if Robert and Panegyric decide they want to tackle it. The issue may be the potential market for a relatively low profile album (at least compared to the Crimson core catalogue) in surround sound. I think almost certainly Declan at Panegyric will want to complete the release program of the main Crimson catalogue before looking at anything else like this.

+1 for getting this album mixed in surround, but Steven's right. It should be AFTER the release of "Beat", "Three of a Perfect Pair", and "THRAK" in surround.
We have been waiting years for these reissues!

(I do know that's outside of Steven's control, but still always a good point to bring up).

Cool beans, a reply from The Man himself!

Agreed about tackling the remainder of the KC catalog.

I have very much enjoyed hearing this music in surround sound. *THANK YOU!*

I discovered the band in 1971 and they have been in regular rotation since.

There are times when nothing else will do.

If you haven't heard it, you may also want to check out Daryl Hall's "Sacred Songs", produced by Robert Fripp and contains an early version of NYCNY. IMO a great album that was recorded in 1977 but not released until 1980 - "because it wasn't commercial enough".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Songs

If you haven't heard it, you may also want to check out Daryl Hall's "Sacred Songs", produced by Robert Fripp and contains an early version of NYCNY. IMO a great album that was recorded in 1977 but not released until 1980 - "because it wasn't commercial enough".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Songs

I did a while back when I was searching for Fripp produced stuff, an excellent album, and what do record companies know about what is going to be commercial or not.

While we're talking Fripp-produced masterpieces with limited commercial potential (and a connection to "exposure"), the first and third albums by the Roches qualify IMHO. Terre Roche is all over "Exposure" (not so much Debbie Harry, if that's what GE was saying), and 3/4 of King Crimson (Fripp, Bruford, and Levin) intermittently backs the Roches on Album 3 aka "Keep On Doing". Plus the occasional Fripp guitar arcing across from his alternate universe. Great stuff.

Am I suggesting Steven Wilson remix them in surround? I'd buy it, but thats just me. Not sure if pure proggers have the whimsy-tolerence levels required. One or both albums are described in the liner notes as having been recorded in "audio verite", whatever that means, but unless that means "live to stereo" there should be interesting multitrack options to open the sparse arrangements and rich harmonies into 5.1. Plus the original CD mastering sounds a little ragged in spots, a hi-res upgrade with surround and stereo would be nice just for improved fidelity.

Anyway, thanks to SW for the beautiful surround work he does, looking forward to whatever blasts from the past his clients unleash next.

Back