ELP tape set on ebay

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Hey, if the guy that outbid me on tapes 1 and 3, but lost out to me on tape 2, of the ELP set on ebay would like to discuss keeping the set together, PM me. I don't really need a tape 2 only.

What sort of tapes are these? (Remember the good old days when you could just contact the buyer... before eBay got all private).

The ELP Welcome Back My Friends 3 tape set. The seller listed them separately. I placed the same bid on all 3 tapes. Got sniped on tape 1 and lost it. Same guy sniped tape 2, but less, so I got that. Then I got sniped on tape 3, and my ebay session timed me out as I tried to counter (just lovely....I had just placed 3 bids, but nooooo, the 24 hour mark of when you last logged in just passed, so who cares that you're active, you gotta sign in again right this second. This is even more annoying with Google plus when it happens in the middle of doing a broadcast).

So, now a perfectly good set gets split up, and I'm sure no one is happy about this.

The ELP Welcome Back My Friends 3 tape set. The seller listed them separately. I placed the same bid on all 3 tapes. Got sniped on tape 1 and lost it. Same guy sniped tape 2, but less, so I got that. Then I got sniped on tape 3, and my ebay session timed me out as I tried to counter (just lovely....I had just placed 3 bids, but nooooo, the 24 hour mark of when you last logged in just passed, so who cares that you're active, you gotta sign in again right this second. This is even more annoying with Google plus when it happens in the middle of doing a broadcast).

So, now a perfectly good set gets split up, and I'm sure no one is happy about this.

Apparently the seller thought he'd make a bigger killing by listing them separately, but from a collector's standpoint, should have been offered as a full set, he might have done even better, this one's pretty tough to find en toto. I haven't heard a version of this in anything but mediocre quality, so how good it actually is, I don't know. It's a set I wish I'd gotten back in the day, but alas....and I wish a man of your skills had gotten hold of it all. [PM coming, my friend]

Wow. Look at this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151338724716

I used to have this one. Should have kept it a bit longer. It was a bit hard to come by. I purchased it new for about $2 as a closeout.

Why anyone would pay a price that outrageous for a reel of that album is beyond me, but then, there are audiophiles who consider reel versions to be the closest they're going to get to that elusive 'master tape sound' without having to put up with the shenanigans that have always hurt the credibility of most CD 'digital remasters.' But that much?!? Good grief!

Of course, I have collector buddies who have bought obscure '50s (and beyond) 78's in nice condition to hear the best possible sound. The few dubs I've heard from mint 78's suggest those editions were better than the 45's or 33's, but most folks don't care that much. I admire those who do, though, and sometimes, I still hear sound on vinyl that surprises me, not least because it seems better than a CD version, which makes me wonder if 'getting it right the first time' does indeed have validity.

ED :)

Back