DVD/DTS Poll Pink Floyd - The Division Bell [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Pink Floyd - THE DIVISION BELL

• Total voters
This really sucks if they don't make more for sale. In some ways, it's gratifying that it sold out, but comon, they really need to get this stuff out there and how can they do that if there are none to sell. All it does is make the aftermarket/eBay fiends money hungry. It also leads to rampant file sharing. Sometimes these labels just don't seem to stop shooting themselves in the foot. People WANT to buy product, yet there is no product.

Q: "What do you want from me?" - A: Sufficient Stock!

Agreed. I want to order as well.... as this is a fave of mine. I'm sure there will be pirated versions showing up very soon at this rate... and this time it was caused by the record companies incompetence. The vinyl is already circulating in pirated form. Maybe there will be a silver lining. Is it possible that they are re-thinking and deciding to release a stand alone blu ray? Why produce two different digital surround versions?

Let's hope they've just been taken by surprise at the (thoroughly deserved) popularity of the DVD and get more to market quickly.

Let's hope they've just been taken by surprise at the (thoroughly deserved) popularity of the DVD and get more to market quickly.

Neil,
I don't think it has to do with how many were sold or requested; just a production issue(manufacturing). The PF store told me about this several weeks ago. They have been very responsive in my dealings with them. They basically get "stuck in the middle" when issues like this arise as information from the top only "trickles down" to them; as opposed to the free flow of information you would like to see in any business arrangement.

I know people get upset and like to vent on places like forums; just hopefully they don't take their anger out on the PF store.

...So when TDB came out, you could say I had "High Hopes" for it...:p I think TDB is good, but to put it bluntly, a bit boring to sit through from beginning to end.
To sum up, the 5.1 DVD DTS/DD disc sounds great, the mix is stellar, the content is fair to good, and the packaging sucks. I will give it an 8.

Dennis
Exactly my feelings. I have the same problem with "On An Island". The music is too laid-back / relaxed for my tastes

You watch. When the endless river gets released the rumoured 5.1 mix will only be available as part of an expensive box set.

If they plan to release TDB 5.1 as a standalone blu ray, fine. If they think they're going to drive more dollars to box sets forget it. Someone is calling the shots about this or there is plain incompetence in the business plan. Usually when a seller finds a demand for his product, he makes more available so he can make a profit. Only in the music industry have I experienced the problem of not being able to buy a new product on its release. Remember the special DTS Porcupine Tree edition that was gone on its first day of sale?

You watch. When the endless river gets released the rumoured 5.1 mix will only be available as part of an expensive box set.

If they plan to release TDB 5.1 as a standalone blu ray, fine. If they think they're going to drive more dollars to box sets forget it. Someone is calling the shots about this or there is plain incompetence in the business plan. Usually when a seller finds a demand for his product, he makes more available so he can make a profit. Only in the music industry have I experienced the problem of not being able to buy a new product on its release. Remember the special DTS Porcupine Tree edition that was gone on its first day of sale?

Very well said! (y)

Does this happen with movies on DVD or BDV!? NOOO!! If something sells by the truckload the studio just press up more!

If I hear one more comment.. someone saying there's no demand for surround music.. I'll scream the friggin place down!!!

Not everytime/with every title but too many times, there are clearly more people that want these surround music titles than are made.. just watch the prices for the TDB DVD soar now its out of print.. Warner won't make a penny from the inflated prices fetched aftermarket.. Ridiculous situation :(

WHEN WILL THE RECORD LABELS LEARN?!?!?!? :howl:mad: :flame

Maybe they didn't sell as many Immersion Sets as they planned and by limiting the DVD think more Big Boxes will sell now?

It doesn't make sense, unless this decision was made by the same exec that thought a 'Big Box of Vinyl and Blu-Ray' was a good marketing idea and now covering his A.

Back on topic: Interesting to see the Blu-ray polling is consistently higher than the DVD here. I'm sure that's at least partly due to fans of TDB forking out for the Immersion (blu-ray) and more casual listeners tending to go for the DVD and marking it lower due to its perceived musical content.

I still have not received my DVD but I did manage to pickup the Blu-ray from a local vinyl guy so I've heard the BD mix and I can't see the DVD being less than spectacular. I've been into the album for a few years (actually after I bought David Gilmour's Albert Hall concert blu-ray I went on a hunt and bought OAI in 5.1, then all his solo CDs, followed by post Waters PF that I'd never bought). So I'm a big fan. I love this style of guitar solo with the PF influence. Beautiful. I can never have too much. It's going to be a 10.

Yeah well what else can I give this but a 10? Stellar. I've listened to this album since it came out (the only PF album whose actual release I remember - special place in my heart - still hard to believe there soon will be 2 in that list ;-)). Hearing things in this mix I never heard in the stereo. After 20 years. Oh man.

Anybody notice that one sound in the front right in the first minute of Take It Back? Sounds a bit like a motorcycle. Just a second or two, but I swear I never heard this before.

Sound quality is top notch.

Brilliant all around.

Yeah well what else can I give this but a 10? Stellar. I've listened to this album since it came out (the only PF album whose actual release I remember - special place in my heart - still hard to believe there soon will be 2 in that list ;-)). Hearing things in this mix I never heard in the stereo. After 20 years. Oh man.

Anybody notice that one sound in the front right in the first minute of Take It Back? Sounds a bit like a motorcycle. Just a second or two, but I swear I never heard this before.

Sound quality is top notch.

Brilliant all around.

You must be my same age, I have the same special feelings for this album. Still remember when I read the news in my local newspaper (oh, those middle age times with no Internet)

Its funny how you jokers(and you do know who you are) will spam the crap out of Good Sir Jon's poll threads, causing him to pull out his few remaining hairs, oh the humanity!....

But I will not devolve down to such boorinsh behavior! :rolleyes:

I will simply state that it is now time for my vote:

For me, its about the music. The best physical package means nothing if the mix & sound are not excelllent, but I will say:

The package is a joke - utter rubbish.... (Space Kayak??? My 4 year old daughter can do a better photoshop design.)

The ever changing pricing scheme is borderline theft

The lack of product is amateur and disappointing

But the mix of this recording: 10

If you don't like TDB it does not make this a bad mix, so I will not take off points because TDB is no DSOTM. This mix puts TDB in a whole new light
and brings out moments and frankly a whole new vibe on a macro level. It is fabulous.

My humble opinion of TDB is that; the first 4 songs along with Take It Back, Keep Talking & High Hopes are worthy Pink Floyd tunes for any era.
To have them presented this way in surround is a ten, no ther way of looking at it.

Another DMJ approved remix.

Hasselhoff.jpg

You must be my same age, I have the same special feelings for this album. Still remember when I read the news in my local newspaper (oh, those middle age times with no Internet)

Born in 1980. :) I wonder what we ever did back in the mid-90s... Too young for quad, too early for 5.1, no Internet. We actually had to leave the house to get stuff done... Weird times ;-)

Born in 1980. :) I wonder what we ever did back in the mid-90s... Too young for quad, too early for 5.1, no Internet. We actually had to leave the house to get stuff done... Weird times ;-)

"You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 357
I never new that life in Britain is so hard. :).
I also was born too late, because I missed all the classic line-up concerts of Genesis, Yes, Supertramp and Gentle Giant, Brand X, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, ........

But to stay in this thread.
The more I hear it, the more I wish I could give more then a 10.
This is a fantastic release. :)

Back