DVD/DTS Poll Pink Floyd - The Division Bell [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Pink Floyd - THE DIVISION BELL

• Total voters
The dvd-preorder page on the pink floyd site has gone. No more dvd?

Probably the dvd alone was selling more than the costly box... too dumb.

The vote is meant to be judged on 10 = Great Fidelity, Great Surround, Great Content to 1 = Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content.

Hmm, why are they different?
You guys are paying attention? Wow. :mad:@:
Are they (different)? Maybe at a first, shallow, look.

But it's just 3 items with their opposites (in a slightly changed order to keep us sharp).

Great Fidelity <--> Bad Sonics
Great Surround <--> Bad Mix
Great Content <--> Bad Content

I voted 10, it's actually a 9.7, this is the best sounding DTS mix I have heard. Very "Immersive" use of surrounds, balanced warm bass, nice Quad sound, no distracting Center channel stuff sticking out. The only downside as noted previously is certain guitar solos, lead vocals and Stephen Hawking voice could have been a touch louder. That and I wish they had given us videos for all the songs.
Now I am ready for Andy Jackson to mix A Momentary Lapse of Reason and any other Floyd he wishes to attempt. (y) :51banana: (y)

I have a complaint about this disc...when I sit and listen to this and get immersed in it, I tend to get so relaxed I fall asleep all the way to the title screen. Now this is not totally uncommon based upon my viscious working hours, but this disc presents an above average problem--the title screen plays the most relaxing ocean wave and breeze type background music, that I don't wake up when the music stops. I have been sleeping on my couch for way too many hours alseep with this and my couch kills my back. Other than that, I really like this disc, lol :)

I was one of the apparent fortunate few to receive this disc. Not only that but got it at the "sale" price after having given up. After listening while moving about (gotta get things done) and now two weeks later in the spot, I can say this is a fine disc. The surround mix is well done, clear discrete elements frequently blended with nice front/surround counter emphasis. I do hope they offer this as a stand alone Blu though here and now in DTS can't imagine it could sound much better.

So hard to believe how inexpensive this was. The record company seems to have left some money on the table, so much that if they ever issue a standalone blu ray I will probably pick that up as well. In the meantime the dvd/dts version will do very nicely. The sound is incredible and the songs very good. Overall 9 but a 10 for the production and mix.

My only question is what is on the Blu-Ray that is not on the DVD-A? I have the DVD-A and have enjoyed it. I am also glad it was not only affordable, it was multichannel. A good example to the record companies, methinks. I even like the minimalist packaging. Jewel boxes are the bane of the digital age, and I wonder how much more it adds to the price.

Thanks for deleting my original fat-fingered rating. Though I can't vote now I'd give it a 10 if I could.

I'm just amazed at how great this new mix is. Really brings new life to the album. Glad it came back into stock and I got a copy!

It could have used more bass, otherwise fine for me. I just like a lot of bass in my music, and I cranked it as high as I could.

The bass content and levels vary widely. Seems adequate for the most part. There are some moments of synthesized sub bass that really push the subs more than I would prefer and they work fine with all other material. Beginning of full band in High Hopes for example...

From QQ deep space

I can't hear it. Lots of treble and mid range, but I can't hear it. This is the only surround album I have this issue with, so I know its not just me. It reminded me of a friend in high school who turned off all the bass and turned up the treble on everything he listened to. I remember hearing the soft kick drums in Cluster One on the stereo mix, so I'm not asking for hip hop levels of bass. I can barely hear the kick drum now.

I can't hear it. Lots of treble and mid range, but I can't hear it.

Are you still using the Sony 598 and Pioneer 578A indicated in your profile? This receiver will not cross mix the lows from main speakers to the sub or vice versa; so it is critical you have your speaker types setup properly in the 578A. This issue is an example of why the LFE channel should be eliminated from surround music disks.

I think Division Bell is the one where Andy Jackson used the LFE exclusively for certain sounds. This may cause problems on some configurations.

Are you still using the Sony 598 and Pioneer 578A indicated in your profile? This receiver will not cross mix the lows from main speakers to the sub or vice versa; so it is critical you have your speaker types setup properly in the 578A. This issue is an example of why the LFE channel should be eliminated from surround music disks. I think Division Bell is the one where Andy Jackson used the LFE exclusively for certain sounds. This may cause problems on some configurations.

To the contrary; by your own response it points to component shortcomings and potential misconfiguration. check the settings and/or trade up if need be.

We enjoy many great 5.1 mixes now where all channels are used effectively and I'd think many surround fans would favor allowing mixers like Andy Jackson to fully taking advantage of all the options to use as he sees fit.

To the contrary; by your own response it points to component shortcomings and potential misconfiguration. check the settings and/or trade up if need be.

We enjoy many great 5.1 mixes now where all channels are used effectively and I'd think many surround fans would favor allowing mixers like Andy Jackson to fully taking advantage of all the options to use as he sees fit.

Yeah, you are correct. If you have a modern system, then it doesn’t matter if the mix is 5.1 or 5.0 – the receiver will make sure the low frequencies go to the sub-woofer – wherever it may be in your system.

Unfortunately, a whole first generation of receivers don’t manage the bass and have this problem with the LFE channel. Due to DVD-A requirements or for whatever reason, these first receivers will not process or apply filters to the discrete 5.1 audio channels; so your sub-woofer is stuck with whatever happens to be on the LFE channel. I don't know if all first gen systems do this, but my 5803 Denon will honor the crossover setting if there is no audio on the LFE channel (5.0) but won't if the LFE exists. This was of course a broken limitation and I went out and got a bass manager for my Denon so I could hear the bass on all my DVD-A and SACD disks. Later, I got an oppo disk player; which has bass management built in on the analog outs.

So, if you have a newer receiver or an oppo like disk player that does bass management for you, you are in good shape. This is all I’m trying to say: if the modern system will make sure the low frequencies go to the sub-woofer anyway, why do we need an LFE channel?

If you don’t have a modern bass management capable system, then you will experience bass issues with certain discrete disks.

I have four large speakers, and the settings indicate as such...I shouldn't need the subwoofer. 4.0 should work just fine, but it doesn't. Like I said, this is the only recording that I have this issue with. The blu ray quad mixes of WYWH and Dark Side sound great, and with lots of bass. Not to mention that this is while using the optical cable instead of HDMI while playing thru a Playstation 3. I figured the dvd for Division Bell would be no problem at all.

And who said Andy Jackson can't use whatever he wants? I'm just stating that it isn't working for me and trying to figure out why.

I have four large speakers, and the settings indicate as such...I shouldn't need the subwoofer. 4.0 should work just fine, but it doesn't. Like I said, this is the only recording that I have this issue with. The blu ray quad mixes of WYWH and Dark Side sound great, and with lots of bass. Not to mention that this is while using the optical cable instead of HDMI while playing thru a Playstation 3. I figured the dvd for Division Bell would be no problem at all.

And who said Andy Jackson can't use whatever he wants? I'm just stating that it isn't working for me and trying to figure out why.

I read the manual on the Sony receiver you indicate in your profile and the Sony will not cross mix the LFE channel to your 4.0 setup. Your Sony is just like my Denon and you must have a sub-woofer or a system that does bass management to enjoy bass with this Division Bell 5.1 mix. As I mentioned above, Andy put some low frequencies exclusively on the LFE channel on this disk.

The implication (by another QQ member) was that if all these were 4.0 it would not be a problem.

It seems that Andy did rely more on the LFE to deliver the bass than we realized.

From QQ deep space

Back