DVD/DTS Poll Pink Floyd - The Division Bell [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Pink Floyd - THE DIVISION BELL

• Total voters
I read the manual on the Sony receiver you indicate in your profile and the Sony will not cross mix the LFE channel to your 4.0 setup. Your Sony is just like my Denon and you must have a sub-woofer or a system that does bass management to enjoy bass with this Division Bell 5.1 mix. As I mentioned above, Andy put some low frequencies exclusively on the LFE channel on this disk.

Gotcha. I do have a subwoofer, so I am assuming that the receiver is the issue. I'll give it another go with the sub turned up as far as it will go. Maybe this will help?

Gotcha. I do have a subwoofer, so I am assuming that the receiver is the issue. I'll give it another go with the sub turned up as far as it will go. Maybe this will help?

No, that won't help. I think the problem is that Andy mixed this disk like a video 5.1 disk and used the LFE out only for a few floor shaking moments on the disk. The other low frequencies are on the Front Left/Right speaker channels. Most DVD-A disks put everything below 80Hz on the LFE channel; so these low frequencies are redundant on both the front speakers and the LFE. To get this disk to play properly on your system, you need to get a crossover that directs everything below 80 Hz from the Front Left/Right channels to the sub-woofer. This is what a bass manager does.

Problem fixed! I simply changed from "large" to "small" speakers in the setup menu, and the bass came roaring from every speaker, shaking the floor.

Now excuse me everyone as I go listen to this the way it should be listened to for the first time ever!

:smokin

Last edited:
Problem fixed! I simply changed from "large" to "small" speakers in the setup menu, and the bass came roaring from every speaker, shaking the floor.

Now excuse me everyone as I go listen to this the way it should be listened to for the first time ever!

:smokin

Cool! I was going to ask you about your speaker setting next. Glad you got it working!

I have large speakers, but apparently putting the setting on "small" speakers, it increased the bass and put a smile on my face!

BTW, this is bliss. Put me down for a "10", and I haven't even reached the halfway mark of the album!

Now bring on Endless River...

I have large speakers, but apparently putting the setting on "small" speakers, it increased the bass and put a smile on my face!

BTW, this is bliss. Put me down for a "10", and I haven't even reached the halfway mark of the album!

Now bring on Endless River...

I suspect putting the speakers on small allowed the receiver to direct the low frequencies to the sub-woofer. It may seem like the lows are coming from the mains, but it is often difficult to tell which direction the lows are coming from. It could also be that you have phase issues and redirecting all the low frequencies to one sub-woofer overcomes the wave canceling that can occur.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad it is working for you now!

Just got my DVD. All in all I give it 10 out of 10 bricks in the wall.

Top notch fidelity: Check

Excellent surround mix: Check

Hearing things on the surround mix that I've never heard before on the CD: Check

Great music video for Marooned: Check (I can watch Steadicam all day)

El cheapo cardboard sleeve: Check (at least there was bubble wrap around it and a sturdy box around that though, so it arrived undamaged)

Anyone got both the BD and the DVD and done a comparison of the two?

Last edited:
I didn't have much interest in this until it became available as a stand alone DVD, as I wasn't about to spring for the immersion set just to get the blu-ray. Although nowhere near my PF favorites of DSOTM, WYWH, and Animals, great reviews of the 5.1 mix got me curious. For me, this is one of those records that go from a good one to a great one, due solely due to the 5.1 mix (Hawkwind's Warrior at the Edge of Time being another). I cannot disagree with any of the glowing reviews of this disc. I think Andy Jackson should have been given the job on the Dark Side and WYWH blu-rays. The sound field just envelops the listener in typical PF fashion. My only gripe is that the surrounds are a little too pronounced at the expense of the vocals on Keep Talking. Oh, and the minimalist packaging leaves a little to be desired. I'm giving it an 8 (a HIGH 8).

I didn't have much interest in this until it became available as a stand alone DVD, as I wasn't about to spring for the immersion set just to get the blu-ray. Although nowhere near my PF favorites of DSOTM, WYWH, and Animals, great reviews of the 5.1 mix got me curious. For me, this is one of those records that go from a good one to a great one, due solely due to the 5.1 mix (Hawkwind's Warrior at the Edge of Time being another). I cannot disagree with any of the glowing reviews of this disc. I think Andy Jackson should have been given the job on the Dark Side and WYWH blu-rays. The sound field just envelops the listener in typical PF fashion. My only gripe is that the surrounds are a little too pronounced at the expense of the vocals on Keep Talking. Oh, and the minimalist packaging leaves a little to be desired. I'm giving it an 8 (a HIGH 8).

At one point this disc was selling for $10 on the Pink Floyd Website Store...and then $15...at those prices they can put it in toilet paper and I'm fine with that...just saying...I just want a quality disc...

At one point this disc was selling for $10 on the Pink Floyd Website Store...and then $15...at those prices they can put it in toilet paper and I'm fine with that...just saying...I just want a quality disc...
Agreed. I've owned the CD since it was released so I'm very familiar with the cover art, credits, etc. And since I paid less than $12 USD for this, I didn't expect marbles and a scarf. Just as you say, for this price I'm just looking for a quality disc, which this certainly is. And I didn't consider the packaging when I gave my rating.

Been long enough - figured I better weigh in on this particular disc/version. I think it sounds excellent, for me, much better than Dark Side....cleaner, more powerful. I never owned the LP or CD, so I was pleased to get this surround version and have listened to it often. Packaging means little to me...it sure takes up little space, which is a good thing.

I'd rate it a 9 overall I think.

Agreed. I've owned the CD since it was released so I'm very familiar with the cover art, credits, etc. And since I paid less than $12 USD for this, I didn't expect marbles and a scarf. Just as you say, for this price I'm just looking for a quality disc, which this certainly is. And I didn't consider the packaging when I gave my rating.

Thanks for your response...I'm curious...would you rather have the same disc with some pictures of the band with the typical "book" type container that holds the disc and would be priced in the $25 to $30 range...

Been long enough - figured I better weigh in on this particular disc/version. I think it sounds excellent, for me, much better than Dark Side....cleaner, more powerful. I never owned the LP or CD, so I was pleased to get this surround version and have listened to it often. Packaging means little to me...it sure takes up little space, which is a good thing.

I'd rate it a 9 overall I think.

I take all of my hi rez discs out of their packages and put them in plastic "DVD" like containers that holds 2 discs...some of these elaborate factory disc containers are so poorly designed they will scratch the disc if you keep removing the discs...either that or they tear...or get damaged...

Thanks for your response...I'm curious...would you rather have the same disc with some pictures of the band with the typical "book" type container that holds the disc and would be priced in the $25 to $30 range...
Probably not for this disc. But let's say the immersion sets never happened and WYWH blu-ray was released in this type sleeve. I'd be a little bummed no matter what the price was. A record like this (WYWH) merits some type of deluxe packaging. That's what's so great about the Tull re-issues. The booklet gets right to the how and why of the recording with period pictures and even some tech stuff, all for a reasonable price. And without the ridiculous "collectibles". That being said, I DO own my share of super deluxe editions. Sometimes I just can't resist.

Anyone got both the BD and the DVD and done a comparison of the two?

Being one of my fave Pink Floyd albums, I bought both versions. And yes, the difference it's there, I would almost say night and day!! In my own words: instruments are embodied, textured... you can hear every little nuance that in the dvd DTS version is almost lost. Voices are clearer, I can hear every word =) A Great Day For Freedom has another immerse experience... Just awesome!!
I must admit that the first version I received was the DVD and I posted a 10 for it! A demonstration disc in all ways, but the Blu-ray is a fidelity, textured music demonstration disc!!

Just for the record, my gear: Oppo BDP-95, Onkyo TX-NR809 A/V Receiver, front & rear shelf B&W DM303, centre B&W LCR3 and B&W ASW600 Sub.

Being one of my fave Pink Floyd album, I bought both versions. And yes, the difference it's there I would almost say night and day!! In my own words: instruments are embodied, textured... you can hear every little nuance that in the dvd DTS version is almost lost. Voices are clearer, I can hear every word =) A Great Day For Freedom has another immerse experience... Just awesome!!
I must admit that the first version I received was the DVD and I posted a 10 for it! A demonstration disc in all ways, but the Blu-ray is a fidelity, textured music demonstration disc!!

Just for the récord, my gear: Oppo BDP-95, Onkyo TX-NR809 A/V Receiver, Shelf B&W DM303, centre B&W LCR3 and B&W ASW600 Sub.

That is not my experience.
I also have both versions and to my ears they sound the same.
There is no need to get the BD imho.. :)

Sorry to be OT, but I know people have been looking for this one. I ordered from the Floyd website on December 8- disc shipped on January 6th. (I don't have it yet.) I don't see it listed anymore, but now might be a time to try to get one if you don't have it yet.

Back