Pink Floyd/The Division Bell - Ask Andy Jackson about the Mastering and the Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello again, Andy. You said you're working on your first record, can you give us any hints about how it will sound like? I'm really curious about it! Any chances of listening to any snippets on soundcloud or similar?

In fact finished, just need to do a mastering pass on it. Looks like I'll put it out through the Burning Shed online shop. Just sorting out details. Probably going to hold it back to coincide with Endless River, or thereabouts, as I can use the opportunity for promo. Genre? non-widdly-prog?? I'll put some stuff on youtube/ facebook or something in a bit
The obvious question, will the album be released in 5.1? Thanks for all the answers so far :)

Will there be any more Floyd albums mixed in 5.1 such as Obscured By Clouds (a favourite of mine) or Meddle ?

Even just getting presumably finished but never released quad mixes would be fun. The "Shine On" book mentions a quad mix of Meddle which was never released. And Columbia in the U.S. had catalog numbers for quad records and 8-tracks of "Animals", but nothing ever surfaced.

Hello again, Andy. You said you're working on your first record, can you give us any hints about how it will sound like? I'm really curious about it! Any chances of listening to any snippets on soundcloud or similar?

In fact finished, just need to do a mastering pass on it. Looks like I'll put it out through the Burning Shed online shop. Just sorting out details. Probably going to hold it back to coincide with Endless River, or thereabouts, as I can use the opportunity for promo. Genre? non-widdly-prog?? I'll put some stuff on youtube/ facebook or something in a bit

Andy

thanks for your responses great insight

Will your album be in 5.1 as well ?

Andy, on the subject of surround mixing in general... There was a time where stereo mixing was daunting to anyone recording their own material who didn't really know their way around programs like Cubase Audio, Logic, etc. etc. I was doing some mixes of my own stuff a little while back on Logic Pro X, which claims to have the ability for one to mix in multichannel. I realise that the industry standard is ProTools, which is a bit out of the average muso's price range - but do you think it'd be a massive learning curve to create one's own multichannel mixes on something less high-end such as Logic Pro X? I realise you've been in the game a long time with serious runs on the board and that this is a bit of a child's play question, but thought I'd ask anyway....

Can't make any specific comment about Logic as I don't know it, but in general it's pretty straight forward on DAWs. In fact, all the surround (& stereo) mixes of the Floyd & Gilmour stuff were done on analogue mixing consoles, which gets trickier

A few questions regarding other PF albums in surround. Truth is I have no idea. As I said before, it'll probably come down to whether it looks financially viable to the powers that be.

As for my album, I hadn't thought about it before, but there seems to be an appetite for it (from you guys for example) so I may well do so. Again, depends on the dreaded money factor.

hey Andy...i just wanted to personally say thank you for a stunning Division Bell dvd. it has made a previously boring album NOW one of my most favored! listening now as a matter of fact...can't get enough! love it.

The revision of Momentary Lapse project did indeed get started, but stalled at a certain point. Now with no Rick, I'm not sure that it could happen. It fundamentally also needs a lot of commitment of time & energy to do, and maybe everyone would rather use that time & energy elsewhere.

The revision of Momentary Lapse project did indeed get started, but stalled at a certain point. Now with no Rick, I'm not sure that it could happen. It fundamentally also needs a lot of commitment of time & energy to do, and maybe everyone would rather use that time & energy elsewhere.

I for one would not mind if that time and energy is spent on a 5.1 mix of that album (unrevised), "The Endless River", or any other Floyd-related album. The more Floyd-related albums in surround, the better! :)

A few questions regarding other PF albums in surround. Truth is I have no idea. As I said before, it'll probably come down to whether it looks financially viable to the powers that be.

As for my album, I hadn't thought about it before, but there seems to be an appetite for it (from you guys for example) so I may well do so. Again, depends on the dreaded money factor.

Hi Andy, thanks for considering the 5.1 mix of your own album. When you go that route, you might want to contact Neil Wilkes, respected member at QQ, about making it a hybrid dvda/v. He is the best for these type of projects.

Hello once more, Andy. I've got another question, back to the times of the Immersion sets: what happened with Wembley 74 Echoes? Did you also restored its audio? It's a pity it wasn't included in any of the boxsets. Thanks!

Hi Andy, thanks for considering the 5.1 mix of your own album. When you go that route, you might want to contact Neil Wilkes, respected member at QQ, about making it a hybrid dvda/v. He is the best for these type of projects.

yes, found him already & have been discussing formats (dvdv/a seeming like the way to go

Hello once more, Andy. I've got another question, back to the times of the Immersion sets: what happened with Wembley 74 Echoes? Did you also restored its audio? It's a pity it wasn't included in any of the boxsets. Thanks!

Indeed, echoes was the encore in that show. There was going to be a Meddle box set, or something similar, but the record company didn't want to go with it. Might happen at a later date. I haven't heard it. Well strictly I have, I was at that show as a paying member of the audience oddly enough!

I'm being guided by Esoteric as to what to do when, no doubt there will be previews. It's all slightly previous saying about a surround mix, as I haven't done it yet!!!

I'm being guided by Esoteric as to what to do when, no doubt there will be previews. It's all slightly previous saying about a surround mix, as I haven't done it yet!!!

Ha ha, even Esoteric is anxious to have a surround mix! Now you feel the pressure of the quad lobby!

Andy, would it be possible to have your previous records available for download (paying, of course)? Maybe it would be a good idea to do so in parallel with the new release.
Which one would you recommend to begin with?

Andy, the dvd for TDB looks like its sold out already, not sure how many they pressed but I think it shows these will sell if priced fairly and there is a market for surround music. I know its not your decision how they market and sell these things but here at this site is a captive audience and we buy surround music and as endless river will be coming out how about there being a version where you can get TDB and endless river in same package and if it was a 2 dvd or 2 bluray I think it would sell in pretty good numbers.
If the dvd's could have a dvd audio layer as its lossless and doesn't cost much more to put on disk, even better as this also works for people with cars that can play dvd audio's as well as the home market.
I know this is not your call but if you could supply a contact email that would be great.
Thanks again for a great mix of TDB.

peter

Back