Pink Floyd/The Division Bell - Ask Andy Jackson about the Mastering and the Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy, would it be possible to have your previous records available for download (paying, of course)? Maybe it would be a good idea to do so in parallel with the new release.
Which one would you recommend to begin with?

Nothing is in print at the mo. I might see if it's worthwhile to put out the "Obvious" album again. They are all collaborative efforts rather than solo, so it all gets a bit more complicated.

Andy, the dvd for TDB looks like its sold out already, not sure how many they pressed but I think it shows these will sell if priced fairly and there is a market for surround music. I know its not your decision how they market and sell these things but here at this site is a captive audience and we buy surround music and as endless river will be coming out how about there being a version where you can get TDB and endless river in same package and if it was a 2 dvd or 2 bluray I think it would sell in pretty good numbers.
If the dvd's could have a dvd audio layer as its lossless and doesn't cost much more to put on disk, even better as this also works for people with cars that can play dvd audio's as well as the home market.
I know this is not your call but if you could supply a contact email that would be great.
Thanks again for a great mix of TDB.

peter

If the record company doesn't want to provide the product, buyers will find it elsewhere and instead of the proceeds going to the band it will go to these 3rd party sellers like this one

I quite agree with making it available without having to buy a pricey boxset. However you are also correct in assuming that I have no influence whatsoever over this. Also bear in mind that PF are signed to Sony outside of Europe, who understandably are keen on it being on BD. However, I know that there is a general feeling on the business side, that Div Bell was a bit of an own goal, which they are keen to avoid. Don't hold me to it but I think it'll be available as a 2 disc'r with CD+DVD and also as CD+BD.

I..... However, I know that there is a general feeling on the business side, that Div Bell was a bit of an own goal, which they are keen to avoid.....

I'm confused - In what way do they see it as an own goal?

I'm confused - In what way do they see it as an own goal?

Pricing, particularly the European/ US discrepancy

If the record company doesn't want to provide the product, buyers will find it elsewhere and instead of the proceeds going to the band it will go to these 3rd party sellers like this one

Boy did I laugh, someone actually paid US$99 for the DVD.:yikes

Surely, I mean surely, folks are not so dumb as to pay over the top for the DVD when the boxset is still available.

Surely, I mean surely, folks are not so dumb as to pay over the top for the DVD when the boxset is still available.

Where was this? I would sell both of mine for that price, each, then buy the blu-ray box and have money leftover.

as ron white says..."you can't fix stupid!"

OK you guys

I'm just about to embark on the surround mix of my album. As I am not answerable to anyone on this one, and I can do exactly as I please, my inclination is to do it Quad, not 5.1

Comments? Thoughts? Yes/ no?

andy J

My sole reason for voting for 4.0 is because I am listening on a 4.0 system. Some of us here don't have center/sub channels. I know some players do not down mix and I would prefer to hear things the way you mix them, not the electronics.

OK you guys

I'm just about to embark on the surround mix of my album. As I am not answerable to anyone on this one, and I can do exactly as I please, my inclination is to do it Quad, not 5.1

andy J
In regards to music, Quad is the way to go. I loved your mix of Division Bell.

Andy, it's very kind of you asking for our opinion, but as you said do what you feel more comfortable with.
You nailed the almost quad mix of TDB, so I'd be happy with another quad.

OK you guys

andy J

This is about to be a long-winded answer so bear with me, but I think the mix should at least be 5.0
I have found that there are so many good reasons why the center channel should be utilized in a music surround sound mix.
With the front left-right channels (and in stereo), when placing something in the "phantom center" it will only appear to be in the center if the listener is seated exactly in the center. Everyone else will hear the centered mix elements as being more to the left or right, making the image very unstable.
That's why I like vocals and solo instruments prominent in the center channel as it will always appear to come from that point as opposed to shifting depending on where I am listening. Also adding a little bit of centered drum and bass content to the center channel also helps anchor the front of the mix very nicely.

Most all of the downsides relating to the center channel IMO are all user-based (incorrect positioning, level, etc).
You just have to do what sounds best to you. Take our opinions with a grain of salt. You are the artist after all! :)

I don't suppose there would be a way of offering both during the authoring process? I also want to thank you for asking our opinions, it is great to see an artist asking his/her listeners what they want rather than telling us what we should like.

Back