HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - The Division Bell [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - THE DIVISION BELL

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2014 release from Pink Floyd of their 1994 album release "The Division Bell". The 5.1 surround BluRay Audio was mastered and mixed by Andy Jackson, available only in the Deluxe Box Set editions of this release. (y):phones(n)

NOTE: A DVD can be purchased as a stand alone DD/DTS surround disc, and that disc has it's own poll entry
at the following link:
DVD/DTS Poll - Pink Floyd - The Division Bell [DTS/DD DVD]

For Andy Jackson's thoughts and discussion of this mix, check out this thread in the forum:
Pink Floyd/The Division Bell - Ask Andy Jackson about the Mastering and the Mix

https://music.apple.com/us/album/the-division-bell/1065976549
PF Division Bell BDA Front 700.jpg
PF Division Bell BDA Back 700.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great month for surround!!!! Division Bell is a 10 for me......and Bob Marley Legend also a 10........what a great time to be a surround enthusiast!!!!!!

One of the unexpected highlights of the year, it came from nowhere, and wow what a good 5.1 mix. Brings the album to life, and I can hear things I'd missed in the original stereo, its a full 10 from me.

I usually don't like to vote as measuring the unmeasurable is too much subjective to my liking :)
As a gesture of respect an appreciation to a wonderfully done piece of art, I give this mix a 10. Andy Jackson has nailed it!

OK. I'm ready to vote. :mad:@:

I absolutely HATE to vote 10 for stuff, because it seems that everything that comes out gets a '10' these days. We're all just so happy to get something "good" in surround that we fall all over ourselves gushing over a release. But again, here we go - IT'S A TEN!

First off, I can't remember where my musical head was back in '94 when this first came out. I know surround was dead at that point. The DTS CD had yet to rear it's head, DVD-A and SACD were years away, and the LaserDisc and AC-3 were the only pulse left from the quadraphonic era. (Of course, I had to upgrade my LD player for AC-3, but I digress....)

When "The Division Bell" came out, I bought the CD. I can't remember how many times I played it, but it quickly went into the shelves nestled next to my other PF CDs, and it stayed there for almost 20 years, rarely touched if ever since it's initial rides in the car. I don't know why I never grew to like it, more than likely I just did not give it a chance. The older you get, the less you are apt to take in new music. You want to hear the stuff you know, not the new stuff. That's why new releases from very established artists never have the legs of their initial efforts. We were all younger and we played those LPs to death. New stuff? Check it out and then put on the old stuff! :)

Needless to say, The Division Bell was never a go-to CD for me. That being said, when this release was announced, I did not feel compelled to get the box. "Another $100+ box of stuff just to get the surround", not again! However, I did go for the DVD, as it was priced right, and I figured the least I could do with it was scan it for the forum. I never liked the mix on the SACD of DSOTM, and I figured this would be the same type of mix. "Band approved" and all.

WRONG!

Holy crap. This mix is amazing, stunning, perfect, it's too easy to give accolades too. Sure, Andy Jackson stopped by the forum and I'm glad he did, and I'm not sucking up to him because, well, I don't have to :), but DAMN - this is one fine surround mix. From the first few moments of the first track there is no need to strain to hear the surround - it's there and it's all around you. When the power cuts in on "What Do You Want from Me", no matter how loud you're listening to at that moment, you reach to crank it up more.

For those who like DSOTM, WYWH and The Wall, but never got into the later Floyd LPs, you should seriously give this disc a try and you may find yourself like me - really liking this one. For some reason, the surround mix just brings this music out from it's shell and opens it up so the listener just accepts it and enjoys it. It's very hard to describe.

I don't want to start any arguments, but the 24/96 on the BluRay does seem a bit more refined than the DVD's 24/48, probably due to the DVD's encoding, but the DVD does not sound bad at all. The BluRay however lets it all out! Awesome.

So, because the mix is tremendous, and because it makes this album live again, and because it's so damn good, it's a 10. Sorry, but that's my vote. A TEN!

Great job by Andy and the band for getting this out. A great surprise release that literally came out of nowhere! Only problem is just like the proverbial Lay's Potato Chip, listening to this disc makes you want more! MORE! :)

Reactions: GOS
What an amazing review Jon!

I also voted a '10' for it just cause I was so stunned that this mix could top James Guthrie's Floyd surround mixes, but it HAS!
Unlike many people, I have always loved the Division Bell since I first heard it, and it definitely falls in the top 5 Pink Floyd albums for me. I admit I was hesitant about getting the Blu-Ray because of how expensive it would be, but it has been worth every penny just for the stellar lossless 5.1 mix! (Not to mention the 'AMAZING' video of 'Marrooned' in STUNNING HD as well!)
There are a few tracks on this album that are somewhat forgettable (like "Lost for Words") but there are plenty of other tracks that make up for it, particularly "What Do You Want From Me?", "Poles Apart", "Keep Talking", and "High Hopes", all of which sound FANTASTIC in surround. I'm not even bothered by the lack of content from the center channel, which I am an advocate for.
I'm so glad they dug this mix out of storage to share with all of us, and I only wish it would have been released sooner on SACD, for if it had, maybe we would have seen more Floyd surround discs out already.
Big props to Andy Jackson for mixing this and coming on the forum to talk about it with us. I hope he gets the chance to mix more Floyd-related albums in surround very soon!

GO BUY THIS DISC! (DVD or Blu-Ray will do) :)

OK. I'm ready to vote. :mad:@:

I absolutely HATE to vote 10 for stuff, because it seems that everything that comes out gets a '10' these days. We're all just so happy to get something "good" in surround that we fall all over ourselves gushing over a release. But again, here we go - IT'S A TEN!

I never hate to give a 10 if it is the only way. :)
The past few releases are all so good.
Like I said. This is one of the best sounding surround mixes ever.
Sure, it is not a classic recording, but I always only vote on surround quality.
So, only a 10 is possible. :)

Who would have imagined that it would take 10 years for Gilmour to realize that Andy's talents would bring out the best of, what was until now, the final Pink Floyd album, doing justice to one of the key aspects which the band has long since been known for - sonic excellence! This has been a revelation in many ways, no more so than getting to appreciate Mr Jackson's talents and the band and their managements lack of vision. Indeed Mr Gilmour was kind to offer this work to Andy when he needed it, but how could he not realize that this "gimme" turned into something as miraculous as this? Perhaps this was overshadowed by Guthrie's work and subsequent release of DSOTM at the time? After all, what album could ever compete with that monster?

In any case, as a longtime Pink Floyd fan words will always fail to express how much this multichannel mix is appreciated!

Who would have imagined that it would take 10 years for Gilmour to realize that Andy's talents would bring out the best of, what was until now, the final Pink Floyd album, doing justice to one of the key aspects which the band has long since been known for - sonic excellence! This has been a revelation in many ways, no more so than getting to appreciate Mr Jackson's talents and the band and their managements lack of vision. Indeed Mr Gilmour was kind to offer this work to Andy when he needed it, but how could he not realize that this "gimme" turned into something as miraculous as this? Perhaps this was overshadowed by Guthrie's work and subsequent release of DSOTM at the time? After all, what album could ever compete with that monster?

In any case, as a longtime Pink Floyd fan words will always fail to express how much this multichannel mix is appreciated!

EXACTLY!

Great mix! Not my favorite Floyd album. 9 easy...

I do have one small complaint about this mix when listening to it again, which is that at times the lead vocals are a bit too far back in the mix for my tastes. All of the other instrument balances sound fantastic.
The talk box solo on "Keep Talking" is one of my favorite moments on the entire album. It gives me chills!

A great, unexpected surprise! Content which I had considered to be non-essential, resurrected by a stellar mix! A 10! Looking forward to more from the clearly talented Mr. Jackson.

Gave it a 9. Stellar mix. The only problem i found is the vocal levels very very low on LOST FOR WORDS. Still a great mix for i can hear details that i haven't heard on the cd!

I was not familiar with the songs on this Floyd disc except for Keep Talking and High Hopes. Both were done at a recent Brit Floyd concert I attended that was excellent. However after listening to the entire disc about half a dozen times I think the sound quality and mix is outstanding. My only complaint is the flimsy packaging the disc comes in. Great surround sound disc at a very affordable price that came out of the blue, a definite 10!

Back