HiRez Poll Marley, Bob - LEGEND (30th Anniversary) [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Bob Marley - LEGEND (30th Anniversary Edition)

• 5 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Bad Fidelity, Bad Surround Bad Content

• Total voters
A great discrete 5.1 mix, you really hear what is going on in the music, good clarity, plenty of bass. A 9 from me.

I've had several versions of Legend over the years, including last year's epic failure on blu ray. This is best sounding version I have ever heard. Those people that didn't own that previous blu ray couldn't imagine what an improvement Bob Clearmountain made on this disc. The surround is just outstanding and it's a warm almost vinyl sound. The only very very small issue I have with it is I would have liked the other version of No Woman No Cry instead of the album version presented here. It's at a slower tempo and it evokes a more emotional vibe. I suspect that it might have been damaged and wasn't up to par; only speculation on my part. This is a 10 all the way. I hope Bob Clearmountain gets some other surround projects in the future, his job on Avalon was no fluke, he can still get it done!

Only one listen, so I won't rate yet but will share my initial scattered impressions: The sources vary so mix results vary from the low of Could You Be Loved to the extreme high of Exodus! There's a bit too much crammed into the center speaker for my personal taste. I found turning it up definitely turned up the pleasure-meter. The songs are all 10s and I know I'll be returning to this edition often, so I'll probably rate it 9. Great summer music and great to hear in surround!

When all is said and done it is really about the music and I love these recordings. I would definitely not even describe myself as a reggae fan, but Bob's music was so universally accepted that I grew to really enjoy a lot of these songs. I had accidentally purchased the stereo blu ray version of this disc, so was super excited to hear the surround version. I love it! I know there is a bit of inconsistency and some question about whether Could You Be Loved is just an upmix, but I don't care. The discrete mixing on the other tunes is so enjoyable that I will overlook that. This is a disc that I will listen to often and that gives it extra credit in my book. My second favorite recent release behind Van Morrison. I give it a 10.

I gave it a 9. Technically, it's a 9.5. The only reason I can't give it a 10 is because Could You Be Loved is a bad mix. Other than that, this is a fantastic album and exactly the shot in the arm Blu-ray audio needed.

Great title¡¡¡¡¡¡ Great lyrics that touch souls¡¡¡¡
Surround¡¡¡¡¡ great rythms¡¡¡¡¡
Bob Marley is for the masses..................4 friends in less than 2 days, have also ordered this disc. This is what hi-fi surround music needs to be revitalized....

I was hesitant in purchasing this disc because of previous reports of Oppo 93 ISO-capable players having issues loading the blu-ray. My Oppo 93 has the last ISO-capable fw and plays the disc fine. I've tried several times now and it loads quicker than most Blu-ray Discs with no nagging copyright warnings.

Upon first listen, I am most impressed. I listened to this disc back in the early 90's, so it's great hearing this in glorious surround. I wish they would have included the live version of "no woman no cry", but that's a minor quibble. The past 2 years have been amazing for all surround fanatics from the raven to xtc to division bell and bob. Surround is most definitely not dead!

Last edited:
Normally i`m no friend of "Greatest Hits". There are songs from different times and albums and they don`t really fit together.
But "Legend" is a great collection of reggae songs for rock/pop oriented people like me.
This was always my CD for the first hot summer days. 30°C meant Bob-Time for me, so this Blu-Ray arrived at the right time.

I vote 10 ( 9 for the surround mix, 10 for content )

I've had several versions of Legend over the years, including last year's epic failure on blu ray. This is best sounding version I have ever heard. Those people that didn't own that previous blu ray couldn't imagine what an improvement Bob Clearmountain made on this disc. The surround is just outstanding and it's a warm almost vinyl sound. The only very very small issue I have with it is I would have liked the other version of No Woman No Cry instead of the album version presented here. It's at a slower tempo and it evokes a more emotional vibe. I suspect that it might have been damaged and wasn't up to par; only speculation on my part. This is a 10 all the way. I hope Bob Clearmountain gets some other surround projects in the future, his job on Avalon was no fluke, he can still get it done!

There's also the possibility of there being no multitracks available for the live version of No Woman.. "No Woman, No Multi.."

There's also the possibility of there being no multitracks available for the live version of No Woman.. "No Woman, No Multi.."

Not having the Multi tracks I dont have a problem with certainly on this Greatest hits type packages substitutions make sence. It does make you wonder why they substituted 'No Woman ..' but not 'Could you be loved'.

I would be quite happy if bands put together 5.1 'best of whats available on Multi-track compilations'

I would be quite happy if bands put together 5.1 'best of whats available on Multi-track compilations'

I agree one gazillion percent! (y)

I SOOO wish we could get a Steely Dan compilation just like that, with say "Deacon Blues", "Peg", "Josie" (multi's exist for all 3 of those songs from "Aja" even if some of the albums' multi's are missing).. and how about a Who compilation if missing multi's are an issue with them too?

I bet a lot of Virgin records artists' stuff is missing or tapes deteriorated, from what we've heard over the years (I'm thinking Roxy Music, XTC, etc) let's have some surround compilations of them too, if missing or knackered multi's are a barrier to individual albums getting the 5.1 treatment!

To the Bob disc itself looking forward to giving it a proper thrashing at volume tomorrow, rather than the quite listens so far (everyones out except me !!) what i ahve heard so far is pretty much what everyone else seems to be hearing a fantastic mix and a great job, which though Blu Ray seems to be outside of ORM's HFPA project. and which it would appear is why its so good.

Last edited:
Hearing this for the first time was AWESOME!!! My sub hasn't had a workout like this in quite some time and I really enjoyed it! A definite 10 for me. Great surround mix, fantastic music, etc. etc. Get this one :)

This release is a fantastic one!
It has breathed new life into Marley's music for me in a way that only surround can deliver!

Right off the bat, the disc starts with the strongest surround mix (IMO) with "Is This Love", which has become my favorite Marley song.
This mix is the exact opposite of "The Division Bell" in that it has a VERY STRONG center channel, and I love it because it really anchors the center of the mix in a way that phantom center between front left/right never can.
Also, make sure you have a really good sub, cause man this disc has some heavy LOWs.
Now this disc isn't perfect. The mix of "Could You Be Loved" sounds like a bad upmix.
"Three Little Birds", "Buffalo Soldier", "Get Up Stand Up", and "One Love" all sound great, but I have grown a little tired of these songs over the years. I also never cared for Marley's version of "I Shot the Sheriff", as Clapton's version is far superior.
Some other tracks like "Stir It Up" and "Exodus" drag on for a bit longer than they should, but the mixes are still a lot of fun.
The alternate versions of "Easy Skanking" and "Punky Reggae Party" stand out as more stellar mixes. I guess they couldn't find the master tapes for those, but you could have fooled me as they sound so amazing. Other standouts include Waiting in Vain" "Jamming" and "Satisfy my Soul" which are among my favorites from Marley's catalogue.

So to sum up, it might be difficult to get over the initial shock value this disc provides with the surround mix of "Is This Love" but most of the rest of this disc doesn't disappoint either.
So go buy this NOW! :)

i agree with some of rtbluray...don't care for Bob's version of I Shot The Sheriff at all (no points docked for my personal preference on content)...but the only opposing view is with EXODUS...for me that track stands above all. musically as well as sonics...albeit by a very slim margin. most of this disc is outstanding...not all..but darn close. my main issue is this disc clearly proves my need for a center speaker upgrade. i also have to +1 on Clint Eastwood's review...echo most others comments as well...great mix...great sound...great compilation.

i agree with some of rtbluray...don't care for Bob's version of I Shot The Sheriff at all (no points docked for my personal preference on content)...but the only opposing view is with EXODUS...for me that track stands above all. musically as well as sonics...albeit by a very slim margin. most of this disc is outstanding...not all..but darn close. my main issue is this disc clearly proves my need for a center speaker upgrade. i also have to +1 on Clint Eastwood's review...echo most others comments as well...great mix...great sound...great compilation.

I would take Exodus the album in 5.1 I think that would be spectacular

Back