HiRez Poll Gentle Giant - THE POWER AND THE GLORY [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Gentle Giant - THE POWER AND THE GLORY [BluRay Audio]

• 7 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Bad Fidelity, Bad Surround Bad Content

• Total voters
I can't tell you how much this is a ten. Music (though not to everyone's taste I guess) is great, sound quality is superb, surround mix is extraordinaire, and the "screensavers" with the lyrics floating over the screen is great as well.

I can really echo d0zers post.
In this 5.1 mix SW had the heart to do a creative and very discrete 5.1 mix.
This music is made for a surround production and the discreteness goes further than on The Yes Album.
The animated lyrics are really nice and the sound is warm and clear.

In the song Proclamation I would have made the main vocals a little bit louder,
but you can do it for yourself.

I never had to give so many 10 votes over the past few weeks.:yikes
Fantastic!
:51banana:
A big thank you from the heart to Mr. Wilson for keepibg the surround dream alive.

My copies arrived today and I played the complete album.

Without further ado, I will say I am not giving this title a ten.

I also won't give any opinion, this disc, you simply must play for yourself. Its qualities are entirely self evident.

I voted a:

4-10.jpg

40_.jpg

THIS DISC SUCKS...

JK... ;)

While it still doesn't quite match up to the "power and glory" of Steven Wilson's remix of "The Yes Album", it's a close second for the best surround release I have heard this year!
Wowza, the drums are REALLY prominent in this mix, but it doesn't manage to overshadow the placement of the other instruments, which SW has placed in a pinpoint fashion around the room.
Even the bonus title track sounds phenomenal in this new setting!
I wonder if they got the idea to do the computer animations to accompany the album from the recent RUSH '2112' release. They nicely complement the music to give the listener a fuller sensory experience.
This disc comes highly recommended so go out and find it for the best price you can!
Now how about "Octopus" and "In a Glass House" for a similar release? :)

WOW! WOW! JUST WOW! Mine was just delivered a couple of hours ago (along with the Doobies Stampede MOFI SACD which sounds surprisingly good via PLIIx) and I have already listened to TPatG twice. Since today the start of my weekend and I gots nothing important to do I am listening to a lot of music today. This is every bit as good as The Yes Album sound wise for me and then some, the graphics take it to a whole other level (just like the first time I played Queen's ANatO DVDA compared the others I had at the time). This not only sounds great, it looks absolutely beautiful! Love the whole package. This is the new standard for Blu in my book all you other Blu-Music making yahoos better take notice, this is the way to do it, if not we may have to fight nuff said! Well that is until Steven does it better! (and yes I know there are other folks beside Steven involved that brought this to fruition but without his interest in GG I doubt we would have got the quality product we now have in our grubby little hands, so yay for my grubby little hands!
Oops I forgot: a 10.

Music not for me. Presentation fabulous. Sound and mix fabulous. Visual effects fabulous.

Music - 10
5.1 Mix - 10
Visuals - 9.8 ("Aspirations" is a bit weak)

I may not have all I want, all I need, but this is one of my favorite albums of all time, and I am over the moon with Steven Wilson's handling of it! Big stupid grins from me tonight!

J. D.

I'm a big fan of Gentle Giant so I love their music. So maybe we'll see all the GG in 5.1 by SW now that would be good :banana:

The clarity is astounding, you can really crank it up....and I did. I found myself smiling with the mix, again fits the music. Its a must for all. Its a 10 from me, and I've been trying not to give 10s.

..........and Dennis.............do you not think the track "The Power & The Glory" influenced XTC?:)

Very happy with this, the music is not as good as the earlier Gentle Giant albums but the 5.1 mix gives this a different feel which I like especially the amazing visuals.

9/10 from me

..........and Dennis.............do you not think the track "The Power & The Glory" influenced XTC?:)

I've had the album since 1978, but the title track(not being on the original LP) is new to me. So I am still forming an opinion of it. I can see why they left it off the original release, though.

When I think XTC.... I've been trying to get into them, but the very loudly mixed drums hammering an annoying 4/4 beat really drives me crazy. I do love the real fat & clean guitar sound the dude gets, though. I play guitar & keyboards and I'd be proud to rock such a fat tone as the XTC dude does.(y)

David Gregory is a perfect foil in just about every musical setting he lands in. His work on Drums and Wires (1979) keeps going through my head. It predates Discipline by 2 years and Synchronicity by 4 years. And he got more amazing and versatile over time.

From QQ deep space

David Gregory is a perfect foil in just about every musical setting he lands in. His work on Drums and Wires (1979) keeps going through my head. It predates Discipline by 2 years and Synchronicity by 4 years. And he got more amazing and versatile over time.

From QQ deep space

And he's now strumming away excellently with the superb Big Big Train :)

This is the trifecta - mix, fidelity & content. Comparably speaking this is quite possibly the best Blu Ray Audio disc based on it's creatively clever and generous use of visual content as a compliment to the music. I became a fan of Gentle Giant quite by happenstance - picked up the Octopus vinyl back in 74 at college purely because I thought the album cover was cool - die cut jar design with the Octopus in it. Had no clue as to what the music was like until I took it back to my fraternity house and played it on the old Garrard turntable. Been hooked ever since. Really hoping on Octopus as the next SW/GG release - a 10!

Music= sublime. Vocals = mostly atrocious. If you can't sing, don't, just talk like Zappa did. Some of the singing(attempted) literally makes me cringe. The exception is Aspirations; the vocals are really nice on that one. Perfect visuals with the music; good price. Great set.

Sound quality= excellent. I wish JT's TAAB was up to this standard! This is how I like drums and bass to sound, great sounding bottom end.

Mix/ sound 9/10.

It's not atrocious, it's Gentle Giant. It's part of who they are, wouldn't be the same without it. There are so many other bands to appreciate if their package is too hard to process.

From QQ deep space

keenly's not one for holding back, that's for sure! :mad:@: I like to think of those vocals as something of an "acquired taste" or "not everyone's cup of tea" perhaps rather than "atrocious"..!

oh superaudiofragilisticexpialatrocious..!

Should I play mine? I'm a bit scared to now.

update: Playing it. Seems like one big borefest so far. A bit jazzy isn't it. And sort of like background music in a movie.

Last edited:
Back