HiRez Poll Gentle Giant - THE POWER AND THE GLORY [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Gentle Giant - THE POWER AND THE GLORY [BluRay Audio]

• 7 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Bad Fidelity, Bad Surround Bad Content

• Total voters
This is not what I thought I'd be listening to now. Possibly (probably), ten years ago, I would have turned it off. It's fresh Mr. Wilson.

I was hesitant to buy this because I don't knowingly recall ever hearing a GG song in my life. But for price, wth, didn't even preview any of the songs and ordered the blu-ray. Not knowing what to expect I found this to be an interesting piece of music, I enjoyed it. The theme is timeless, listening to Aspirations I would never have guessed it was 4 decades old and the animation made it seem very relevant today. The DTS MA 5.1 mix is well done, enveloping, and the overall audio quality is exceptionally crystal clear. The animations for each song are very effective and enhanced the entire experience. Very cool, never seen anything like it before, a great value add over the usual photo montages and lyrics. Solid 10 in all aspects.

I just finished listening to this in 5.1 for the first time. I am absolutely astounded. I'm vaguely familiar with Gentle Giant, but just barely. I've always been way more into old Crimson, Zappa, ELP, Yes, Genesis, etc., but from my first experience with this surround mix blu-ray, I honestly think this is the best overall 5.1 remix of anything I've ever experienced. I say experienced instead of heard because the video/lyrics just added so much for me, especially as an uninitiated Gentle Giant fan. As basically a newbie to their stuff, having the visual stories/lyrics had such an immediacy for me, that I felt much more in-tune than I should have as an outsider looking in, and really enjoying the absolute hell out of it.

I heard a definite Zappa influence in some of the songs, which is a big plus for me, and also heard a John Wetton-esqueness to a lot of the vocals, which was great.

As far as the surround mix, I think that Steven Wilson has really grown and improved, which is high praise from me, as I love his surround logic even on some of his earlier mixes, but I really think he nailed it here; the recording is extremely dry overall which I think lends itself better to a tight surround mix, the bass is deep, and tight, but natural, the surrounds are intelligent, involving, but not over exagerated with great balance, and overall it's just so engulfing, yet so effortless. I think that's the key word for me: Effortless.

To me, this is the absolute zenith of being exposed to something I'm almost embarrased at not knowing about, but directly up my alley, with one of the most enjoyable surround experiences of my entire life.

This one goes to eleven.

Spinal-Tap-Up-to-Eleven-400x215.jpg

I just finished listening to this in 5.1 for the first time. I am absolutely astounded. I'm vaguely familiar with Gentle Giant, but just barely. I've always been way more into old Crimson, Zappa, ELP, Yes, Genesis, etc., but from my first experience with this surround mix blu-ray, I honestly think this is the best overall 5.1 remix of anything I've ever experienced. I say experienced instead of heard because the video/lyrics just added so much for me, especially as an uninitiated Gentle Giant fan. As basically a newbie to their stuff, having the visual stories/lyrics had such an immediacy for me, that I felt much more in-tune than I should have as an outsider looking in, and really enjoying the absolute hell out of it.

I heard a definite Zappa influence in some of the songs, which is a big plus for me, and also heard a John Wetton-esqueness to a lot of the vocals, which was great.

As far as the surround mix, I think that Steven Wilson has really grown and improved, which is high praise from me, as I love his surround logic even on some of his earlier mixes, but I really think he nailed it here; the recording is extremely dry overall which I think lends itself better to a tight surround mix, the bass is deep, and tight, but natural, the surrounds are intelligent, involving, but not over exagerated with great balance, and overall it's just so engulfing, yet so effortless. I think that's the key word for me: Effortless.

To me, this is the absolute zenith of being exposed to something I'm almost embarrased at not knowing about, but directly up my alley, with one of the most enjoyable surround experiences of my entire life.

This one goes to eleven.

Could not have said it better myself. Since getting this set in July, I have become quite a big fan of Gentle Giant. I've bought Three Friends, Octopus, Free Hand (my favorite), Interview, and Playing the Fool. I'm a long time prog fan and have seriously been missing out on this great music. Discovering "new" old music is always a treat. Hope Steven Wilson does another Gentile Giant 5.1 mix real soon. Octopus would be my pick (since I have the Quads of Free Hand and Interview)

Could not have said it better myself. Since getting this set in July, I have become quite a big fan of Gentle Giant. I've bought Three Friends, Octopus, Free Hand (my favorite), Interview, and Playing the Fool. I'm a long time prog fan and have seriously been missing out on this great music. Discovering "new" old music is always a treat. Hope Steven Wilson does another Gentile Giant 5.1 mix real soon. Octopus would be my pick (since I have the Quads of Free Hand and Interview)

You really should check out "In A Glass House".
It could be your new favorite. :)

What's funny to me is that I was pretty drunk when I posted that. :eek: It probably helped me speak my mind, but I also just spoke out of my head too. I just re-experienced this BD again, and it's still one of my absolute favorite surround mixes ever. :D

I've had this GG disc for some time now. Got it upon release. Holy cow, what an incredible experience to listen to this in 5.1. Wilson has struck gold again. I find myself just pouring the coals to this when I listen.....sounds amazing at higher volumes.

10/10 - all aspects.

Most Amazing surround mix I've heard! It brings so much life to these 40 year old recordings. Simply brilliant. Mr. Wilson has outdone himself!

Things are getting a bit crazy when you buy a release you have never heard of, by an artist you have never heard of, purely because of this forum... thanks all :)

Just now listening to the instrumentals, unfortunately through D PLII as it's only stereo. I have no issue with the singing at all but this works better when others are around.:D

every time listening GG, i'm wondering, what those guys smoked during writing their music?
but, from pure technical point: sound, surround mix, visual concept - this BD-A just a jam.

every time listening GG, i'm wondering, what those guys smoked during writing their music?
but, from pure technical point: sound, surround mix, visual concept - this BD-A just a jam.

You nailed it. Clearly, they were smoking the good stuff.....yet, they are SO artistic and it is reflected in this music and mix.

The Vocals towards the end are just horrendous. Real shame because the music and the sound is amazing.

I just finished listening to this album and as I said elsewhere, I am effing floored. What I heard was elements of a LOT of my favourite albums from over the years, then I looked at the original release date and wondered if everyone else got it from here? I felt like there was the energy of Chicago's jazz/rock, the sharpness of the drums and tightness of the guitars reminded me of James Newton Howard's LP from Sheffield Labs and the work of the Porcaro's there. Way too many influences to list, but those were the strongest. My only issue was the little clicks between tracks while listening to the surround. Did any one else notice this? I had it on louder than I usually play music and it was distracting to the great music. For some reason, I had the volume up a bit higher than I am allowed, but I am all alone right now, and the music wanted it, it seems, so the clicks were annoying. To those that didn't care for the vocals, I can not agree with you, sorry, but I thought they fit in perfectly. No intentional sound on this BR was annoying to me and was a real pleasure to listen to, finally.

Back