HiRez Poll Gentle Giant - THE POWER AND THE GLORY [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Gentle Giant - THE POWER AND THE GLORY [BluRay Audio]

• 7 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Bad Fidelity, Bad Surround Bad Content

• Total voters
I just finished listening to this album and as I said elsewhere, I am effing floored. What I heard was elements of a LOT of my favourite albums from over the years, then I looked at the original release date and wondered if everyone else got it from here? I felt like there was the energy of Chicago's jazz/rock, the sharpness of the drums and tightness of the guitars reminded me of James Newton Howard's LP from Sheffield Labs and the work of the Porcaro's there. Way too many influences to list, but those were the strongest. My only issue was the little clicks between tracks while listening to the surround. Did any one else notice this? I had it on louder than I usually play music and it was distracting to the great music. For some reason, I had the volume up a bit higher than I am allowed, but I am all alone right now, and the music wanted it, it seems, so the clicks were annoying. To those that didn't care for the vocals, I can not agree with you, sorry, but I thought they fit in perfectly. No intentional sound on this BR was annoying to me and was a real pleasure to listen to, finally.

Hell yes.....this is an outstanding release!

My only issue was the little clicks between tracks while listening to the surround. Did any one else notice this? I had it on louder than I usually play music and it was distracting to the great music. For some reason, I had the volume up a bit higher than I am allowed, but I am all alone right now, and the music wanted it, it seems, so the clicks were annoying.

Just checked the first 5 tracks - no clicks on my Oppo 105.

Yep, awesome album, great mix and cool visuals.

No clicks on my cheap Sony BDP. I have noticed that some of the sounds made by the keyboard sometimes have what could be described as "clicking sound" at the beginning of them. I've found that replaying the sound and listening hard shows that it's a characteristic of the keyboard sound though. Not sure if that helps but (whoomp) there it is.

Thanks for the click comments guys, I will play it again soon and see if it was my player. It was a sound like hearing the splice on a reel of tape when you don't use demagnetised blades, and it only occurred between tracks. It seemed obvious to me, and no I didn't realise that I had my receiver cranked to half!:eek:

First time ever listening to GG. Bought it on the strength of the reviews on this thread. OMG!! What wonderful stuff... A 10 all the way around. Thanks for the recommendation!

Screen shot 2015-05-24 at 6.48.09 PM.pngI've listened many times now and thought about it long enough, this is a 10. It has "Great Fidelity, Great Surround, Great Content" and is amazingly fresh, a true benchmark for me.

I bought this album after seeing that it was #4 on the High Rez Poll... that's three albums behind Dark Side of the Moon, 2 behind The Yes Album. Enough said; must be great... well, since I feel that one of the best uses of the High Rez poll is to serve as a buying guide for others, be warned before buying. I'm a long time fan of classic rock, prog rock, metal (no growling vocals), and even some classical, and I find the musical content to be... more work than I'm willing to put in. The music, while played with precision and dexterity, is souless. Repeated listens are making me want to listen less, not more. The vocals are very unpleasing to my ears. I might listen to this ONE more time if it had the intrumental versions in surround (but it doesn't). So, Perfect surround mix and fidelity, very difficult musical content, standard-setting visuals/menu content... overall, 8. Sorry... it's just my opinion!

I bought this album after seeing that it was #4 on the High Rez Poll... Repeated listens are making me want to listen less, not more. The vocals are very unpleasing to my ears. I might listen to this ONE more time if it had the intrumental versions in surround (but it doesn't).
before to buy, you always can check out unfamiliar acts on YouTube. today isn't early '00s with dial up and internet has plenty
to offer. i'm too doesn't get their artistic/music side but was aware on what i'm buying and have no regrets

before to buy, you always can check out unfamiliar acts on YouTube. today isn't early '00s with dial up and internet has plenty
to offer. i'm too doesn't get their artistic/music side but was aware on what i'm buying and have no regrets

You're right; being fairly new to surround I got caught up purchasing alot of material in a very short time without thoroughly screening the musical content (some of which I may never listen to again!) Now that my collection is adequate, I will be more selective and stop purchasing music that I wouldn't normally listen to. (I have, however, discovered some bands that I had previously never heard of thanks to the HiRez poll, and for that I am greatful! i.e. Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Opeth)

Given your feelings about it, the 8 seems generous. Being a fan of the band for 40+ years I know they are not everyone's cup of tea.

Was this the Blu Ray or DVD-V version? PM me if you wish to part with it.

Keep Calm and Have Patience

You're right; being fairly new to surround I got caught up purchasing alot of material in a very short time without thoroughly screening the musical content (some of which I may never listen to again!) Now that my collection is adequate, I will be more selective and stop purchasing music that I wouldn't normally listen to. (I have, however, discovered some bands that I had previously never heard of thanks to the HiRez poll, and for that I am greatful! i.e. Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Opeth)

I think a lot of us here have realized over the years that surround music will expand one's musical preferences beyond what one would have ever imagined. And I'll add this edit to my post: I've learned to love the acquisition process component of the hobby as well (relative to the listening part).

I bought this album after seeing that it was #4 on the High Rez Poll... that's three albums behind Dark Side of the Moon, 2 behind The Yes Album. Enough said; must be great... well, since I feel that one of the best uses of the High Rez poll is to serve as a buying guide for others, be warned before buying. I'm a long time fan of classic rock, prog rock, metal (no growling vocals), and even some classical, and I find the musical content to be... more work than I'm willing to put in. The music, while played with precision and dexterity, is souless. Repeated listens are making me want to listen less, not more. The vocals are very unpleasing to my ears. I might listen to this ONE more time if it had the intrumental versions in surround (but it doesn't). So, Perfect surround mix and fidelity, very difficult musical content, standard-setting visuals/menu content... overall, 8. Sorry... it's just my opinion!

I don't think it would be too wide of the mark for me to suggest that there's a bit of a Prog bias here (just as there is a Beatles bias @SHF and Classical Music @sa-cd.net.. haha!) but.. I find QQ a pretty broad church and if you persevere thru the Polls and threads you'll find a variety of music genres to explore (I know I have! :eek: ) in 5.1 surround & Quad.

I don't think it would be too wide of the mark for me to suggest that there's a bit of a Prog bias here (just as there is a Beatles bias @SHF and Classical Music @sa-cd.net.. haha!) but.. I find QQ a pretty broad church and if you persevere thru the Polls and threads you'll find a variety of music genres to explore (I know I have! :eek: ) in 5.1 surround & Quad.

If you want "Prog Bias" go to ProgArchives.com ...THe Beatles are Proto Prog..which they were!!!!

Given your feelings about it, the 8 seems generous. Being a fan of the band for 40+ years I know they are not everyone's cup of tea.

Was this the Blu Ray or DVD-V version? PM me if you wish to part with it.

Keep Calm and Have Patience

It's Blu-ray... I'll hold onto it and revisit it down the road; you never know. I've had albums/songs that did nothing for me at one point in my life, and then years later I loved it!

It's Blu-ray... I'll hold onto it and revisit it down the road; you never know. I've had albums/songs that did nothing for me at one point in my life, and then years later I loved it!

I owned my Gentle Giant albums (bought used while in college) for about 10 years before they clicked for me. At first, I felt nothing for them. Then I went all bonkers for them.

On the other hand, I've had "A Love Supreme" by John Coltrane for about 25 years and it's never clicked for me.

So yeah, hang on to it for now.

J. D.

I owned my Gentle Giant albums (bought used while in college) for about 10 years before they clicked for me. At first, I felt nothing for them. Then I went all bonkers for them.

On the other hand, I've had "A Love Supreme" by John Coltrane for about 25 years and it's never clicked for me.

So yeah, hang on to it for now.

J. D.

Glad to know I'm not the only one (though it's only been about 15 yrs for me).

But I haven't given up yet. Some of my all-time faves took a while to click for me- though nothing near as long as 10+ years...

Back