HiRez Poll Reed, Robert - SANCTUARY [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Robert Reed - SANCTUARY

• 7 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Bad Fidelity, Bad Surround Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2014 DVD-A release from Robert Reed, "Sanctuary"!
(n):phones(y)

Attachments

• SANCTUARY COVER MASTER (2).jpg
    SANCTUARY COVER MASTER (2).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 561
My only complaint is that I have seen the cover. Problems uploading, but Mannheim Steamroller Meets the Mouse.

For those that don't know; I'll be up-front and state from the off that I play tested the surround version of this for Rob. That said, other than being a fan (initially of Magenta) I have no vested interest and always try to be impartial in my reviews.

First thing to tackle is the material. It's a "heart-on-sleeve", "in-your-face" homage to the early Mike Oldfield albums - think Tubular Bells and Hergest Ridge and you'll be right there, in both sound and style. Rob's been very up-front about this and anyone who knows him will know that he's a big fan of, and hugely influenced by Mike and it's long been a dream of his to make a similar style album. This is that album. The sounds and instrumentation used are full-on re-creations of the sounds/same instruments Mike used and the structure, feel and progressions are also very similar. So is it a "rip-off?" I know a few people who claim that it is, but I think that's taking an undeserved cheap shot. The actual music, melodies, recording and especially the surround mix are all very "Rob" and once you get beyond the initial (and inevitable) impact that it's all very familiar, you'll find that it easily stands on it's own and, imho, probably develops and evolves in a much more mature way than Mikes early albums did. The two, roughly 20 minute parts are both very beautiful, emotional and evocative journeys through a familiar musical landscape.

Okay, so the surround mix. Put simply; it's sublime. Rob tells me it was written for surround and that really, really shows. It goes without saying that it's fully discrete, but the placement of the instrumentation and effects, the movement of themes and instruments around the channels and use of the surround channels to accentuate the musical development is exemplary. Reference quality (which is also the phrase Simon Heyworth used when he first heard the mix.) I have hundreds of surround albums and this is easily in the top 10, quite probably top 5. It's that good. Rob has a pedigree of exceptional surround mixing: Magenta's "Metamorphosis", "Seven", "Chameleon", "The Twenty Seven Club" and Kompendium "Beneath the Waves." This is easily his best yet, taking the crown from "The Twenty Seven Club."

I believe that the authoring was done by Neil Wilkes and is to his usual high standard. It's an absolute snip at £11 for CD/DVD dual disc version and the formats on the DVD are 24/96 MLP 5.1, 24/48 DTs 5.21 and 24/96 stereo

This is a really nice album, and the 5.1 PCM makes it sound fantastic. The mix is good, you really hear the placement of the instruments, and the mix works nicely in tandem with the music.

It is a very good homage to Mike Oldfield, but it is very definitely Rob Reed, who has been heavily influenced by Tubular Bells/Hergest Ridge/Ommadawn era Mike Oldfield. You can hear Rob Reed's composition in the two pieces, played in the style of early Mike Oldfield. I really like it.

In respect of it being very Tubular Bells like, I would say its comparable to the early Marillion versus Genesis arguments. Good influences are no bad thing.

First listen...I only have a couple of listens of Tubular Bells but this does strike me as a TB sequel...that said, my first impression has me shaking my head. Uh, like I want to go back to stereo about as much as I want to go back to walking on all fours :mad:@: Some of the passages are a stellar use of the surrounds (y)

I can only agree with Neil, Duncan and PK, it is again a great album from Rob Reed. A nice tribute to one of his main influences. The mix is superb, so much going on and with each listen I hear new details, great stuff!

And all of this for a very dedent price, no big box sets or anything, just the dvd and cd in an attractive sleeve.

For MO fans it is a must-buy. My only complain is that because of the obvious and unconcealed similarities the album title should have contained A Tribute to Mike Oldfield imho.

Last edited:
Btw, the average dynamic range (DR14) of the mch tracks and the promo videos are awesome :smokin .

I'd like to mention that the MLP 5.1 version play at a sample rate of 48 kHz here. I'm fine with that, but on the cover and in the menu it is unfortunately advertised as 96 kHz.
The MLP stereo mix plays at 96 kHz.

I'd like to mention that the MLP 5.1 version play at a sample rate of 48 kHz here. I'm fine with that, but on the cover and in the menu it is unfortunately advertised as 96 kHz.
The MLP stereo mix plays at 96 kHz.

No. MLP 5.1 is also 24/96.

I really want to love this but I only like it. Great job by Rob Reed - mix & fidelity a 10. As a Tubular Bells tribute, I suppose that it does the job, but to be honest I never loved that either - just liked it too. I hope that this will continue to grow on me and there are elements within the 2 parts that I find very satisfying musically - close but no cigar - but I look forward to more from Mr. Reed. A 9!

After much listening to other prime stuff in surround I finally got round to listening to this.

Why did I wait ?

While the album does pay great homage to Mike Oldfield (1974/5) its great. The surround is excellent (can Rob Mix some of Mikes Albums in the Future?)

A definite Keeper as has so many been in the last month or so.

The surround mix of Sanctuary is one of the best I've ever listened to and definitely fits the style of the music. Clarity and dynamic are oustanding and the sound field is very active and open. Sound: 10/10

I was never such a big fan of Mike Oldfield, but the music here is very nice and especially some elements in the 2nd part are really great and have a lot of atmosphere. Furthermore I realized that it grows on me with every spin I give it. Mr. Oldfield might sit at home, listen to this and think that he wishes to be able to record songs like this again. Music: 8/10

Overall Rating: 9/10

if I had not known that this is not Mike Oldfield, I would've bet he is. So it lacks a bit originality I'd say. On the other hand this is so much better than anything Mike put out in the last, say, 20 years. So it's an 8 for the music and 10 for the s(urr)ound. A 9 it is!

Just arrived so I'll post my comments about the disc later. Comes in a cardboard sleeve. I hate those. There is no way I'm going to keep any of my discs in container where I have to slide it in and out of cardboard. Just trying to grip the thing or shake it out is a hassle and potential cause of damage to the disc. You guys who make these things - please stop.

Just arrived so I'll post my comments about the disc later. Comes in a cardboard sleeve. I hate those. There is no way I'm going to keep any of my discs in container where I have to slide it in and out of cardboard. Just trying to grip the thing or shake it out is a hassle and potential cause of damage to the disc. You guys who make these things - please stop.

Exactly.png

A 9 for me the sounds like Tubular Bells aspect doesn't bother me a bit because it is so well done and hey I loved TB. Good use of 5.1 and it's nice to have a good instrumental 5.1 piece to listen too. Nice (y)

After a couple of more listens I am even more impressed. Shows how a surround mix can bring the music to life. And it's nice to have another well-done instrumental album in my collection. Note: it's not 100% instrumental as there is some choral music as well.

Back