A "Previously Unknown" Q8 - Barry De Vorzon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadwreck

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Listed as a various artist Q8, with no songs or artists listed, is Arista/GRT with two catalog numbers (GRT 8501 & Arista 213) under the title "In-Store Play Sampler". This is actually a Barry De Vorzon Q8 (with his name listed) with his big hit "Nadia's Theme" featured six times, with these songs between each appearance: Theme From SWAT, This Masquerade, Bless The Beasts And Children, I Write The Songs and All By Myself. There is nothing on the Q8 that says quadraphonic, no emblem, but it does have the Q8 notch. The quad is not very quad, maybe more like they played the stereo mix through a QS decoder, but I guess it might qualify as quad. I found two of these in my "big quad haul".

Can we get a picture or a scan? Sounds like a nice find.

Listed as a various artist Q8, with no songs or artists listed, is Arista/GRT with two catalog numbers (GRT 8501 & Arista 213) under the title "In-Store Play Sampler". This is actually a Barry De Vorzon Q8 There is nothing on the Q8 that says quadraphonic, no emblem, but it does have the Q8 notch. The quad is not very quad, maybe more like they played the stereo mix through a QS decoder, but I guess it might qualify as quad.

Interesting find. You have to wonder why they would issue it on a quad cart with fake surround and how that would promote the quad format and what a customer would think when all they could purchase were the songs in stereo. I am assuming this would have come out in 1976 so by that time maybe no one really cared about promoting the format but having it on a quad cart might interest the store personnel to play it.

Obscure various artists albums are probably the 'final frontier' of vinyl collecting, since a) there are so many tens of thousands of them before the digital age began, b) since most price guides and (for that matter) collectors tend to focus on acts, not V.A. comps, and c) some v.a.'s were only locally or regionally pressed, meaning in low numbers, that I don't think anyone has ever assembled anything even remotely resembling a comprehensive overview--it would be a massive undertaking even if you restricted the scope, say, to the 1960's, even '70s. So it doesn't surprise me that an in-store collection like this has missed Mark's list, because it's the kind of title made in very limited numbers and for a specific purpose. Perhaps not as rare as, for instance, the Grammy discs sent out to members by NARAS, or the comps some publishers or labels sent to specific people like artists and managers...but still, this is an interesting find, and look forward to more details.

ED :)

There is also a Capitol Q8 Sampler that member Arnold_Layne posted pics and a DTS conversion of a few years back. The tape contained the usual suspects for a 1974 Capitol sampler, though I'm not 100% it was culled from already mixed master reels. "Helen Wheels" for instance, has a little more echo in the back channels than the BOTR Q8 has, one of the Helen Reddy tunes is much more discrete than it's commercial counterpart and one of the Grand Funk titles is a little more discrete although drenched in more echo than it's proper release.

There is also two versions of the GTE/Sylvania Quad compilation Q8 going around that is the ONLY place I know of where you can find two tracks by Lighthouse.
I should actually say this comes in THREE versions:

GTE #1 features four spoken word interludes that feature short demonstrations of what Quad is all about.
GTE #2 is identical to above however the spoken interludes have been deleted.
Evolution #1 is labelled an Evolution records release on a Yellow London/Ampex style cartridge. It too has had the spoken parts deleted AS WELL as the two Lighthouse songs! The rest of the songs are the same.

There is also two versions of the GTE/Sylvania Quad compilation Q8 going around that is the ONLY place I know of where you can find two tracks by Lighthouse.
I should actually say this comes in THREE versions:

Re: Lighthouse

Hats Off (To the Stranger) is on the 4 Track Quadraphonic Sampler LP:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=780538449

One Fine Morning is on the Supersonic Quadraphonic Sound Spectacular LP:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=780537638

Are those the 2 tracks that are on the Q8?

I have that sampler, it includes One Fine Morning, and another one....I think it's Out In The Country, but I'm traveling this week so I can't verify that, I'll have to check it when I get home. I've yet to see a Q8 that has Hats Off (To the Stranger).

DeVorzonQ8001a.jpg
I told you I'd get around to it...

It's one of those 'wtf' titles that I want to hear while I detest music of its type. That has to be a fairly rare title, too.

ED :)

Back