Previously Unknown Q8 - Arista VA Sampler

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadwreck

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I found another Q8 from Arista with some previously unknown quad mixes, although they may not all be real quad mixes, it's worth pointing them out. The Q8 has no claims to be quad, but it does have the quad notch, and the two programs have four channels. Most sound like they could be stereo mixes put through a QS decoder, there is definitely EQ manipulation, a lot less bass on the rear channels, and a bit less treble also. Once I adjusted EQ on the 4400, there was less difference between the rears and fronts, but the rears had more separation than the fronts. One track, Gil Scott-Heron's "Johennesburg", sounds like it could be real quad.
New Release In-Store Play Sampler -GRT-8501/Arista-203
Tony Orlando & Dawn - Skybird
Barry Manilow - Could It Be Magic (no "the")
Barry Manilow - I Write The Songs
The Bay City Rollers - Saturday Night
Urszula Dudziak - Papaya
Linda Lewis - This Time I'll Be Sweeter
Gil Scott-Heron - Johannesburg
The Outlaws - There Goes Another Love Song
Melissa Manchester - Just Too Many People
Tony Orlando - Tie A Yellow Ribbon
Eric Carmen - Never Gonna Fall In Love Again
Terry Garthwaite - Angel Of Love
There's also an announcer between songs, he makes Dick Clark sound like Tommy Chong.

I found another Q8 from Arista with some previously unknown quad mixes,

That is an interesting find. It is interesting that the titles that were released in quad were not from the discrete sources. When you have time some scans would be appreciated.

That is an interesting find. It is interesting that the titles that were released in quad were not from the discrete sources. When you have time some scans would be appreciated.

I found another Q8 from Arista with some previously unknown quad mixes, although they may not all be real quad mixes, it's worth pointing them out. The Q8 has no claims to be quad, but it does have the quad notch, and the two programs have four channels. Most sound like they could be stereo mixes put through a QS decoder, there is definitely EQ manipulation, a lot less bass on the rear channels, and a bit less treble also. Once I adjusted EQ on the 4400, there was less difference between the rears and fronts, but the rears had more separation than the fronts. One track, Gil Scott-Heron's "Johennesburg", sounds like it could be real quad.
Barry Manilow - Could It Be Magic (no "the")
Urszula Dudziak - Papaya
There's also an announcer between songs, he makes Dick Clark sound like Tommy Chong.

Here is a photo

Arista In Store Play Sampler. GRT-8501-203 (Q8).jpg

Last edited:
I recently heard from Nick Perugini in regards to another in store sampler that is not quad.

"Hi Mark, for a long time I wanted a copy of this Q8, at a reasonable price. I finally got one, new & sealed in the shrink. I hated to open it but without doing that I'd never know if it was really a Q8 or not.
Well, I am sorry to say that it is like those GRT classical tapes, with the quad notch but play in double stereo. I ran it through on both sides, listening and looking at the SH-3433 oscilloscope display. It's just double stereo, a 2-channel mix in the front and rear. I have no idea why it was made, or what this proves when played "in store" as they titled it. Thought I'd share the info in case you want to add it to the catalog."

This title is currently listed on the Quad Released Recordings that are NOT Quad page.
ARISTA In Store Play Sampler. GRT-8501-213 (Q8)

Arista 8501-213 Barry De Vorzon Q8.jpg

I see no mention of Quad anywhere on that tape, very odd that it was made at all. Double stereo with a "quad" notch, what did that prove? Did they want a"universal" test/demo tape that would work (play as) quad as well as work for stereo decks? Still doesn't make a whole lot of sense!

Here is a list of the albums the songs come from. Some Quad, others stereo. I would assume upmixes from the stereo albums but until we get a chance to hear it (Oh please
@Quadwreck) we will not know for sure

Contains:
{Available on the stereo only album "Skybird. Arista AL 4059"}
Barry Manilow - Could It Be Magic
{Available on the stereo only album "Barry Manilow. Bell Records BELL 1129"}
{Available on the Quadraphonic album "Tryin' To Get The Feeling. Arista AQ 4060"}
{Available on the stereo only album "Rollin'. Bell Records BELLS 244"}
Urszula Dudziak - Papaya
{Available on the stereo only album "Urszula. Arista AL 4065"}
{Available on the stereo only album "Not A Little Girl Anymore. Arista AL 4047"}
{Available on the stereo only album "From South Africa To South Carolina. Arista AL 4044"}
{Available on the stereo only album "Outlaws. Arista AL 4042"}
{Available on the Quadraphonic album "Melissa. Arista AQ 4060"}
{Available on the Quadraphonic album "Greatest Hits. Arista AQ 4045"}
{Available on the Quadraphonic album "Eric Carmen. Arista AQ 4057"}
{Available on the stereo only album "Terry. Arista AL 4055"}

Last edited:
Like the other tape. What was the point? They wanted a tape to demonstrate quad but (I assume) it's double stereo? Playable on stereo decks as well but the same song will appear twice as you switch tracks. Very bazar! What were they thinking?

Don Nix rings a bell for me , re quad.

Sure enough ....Billboard November 10th 1973 pg 110

"Don Nix (Enterprise Records) is to perform an FM quadraphonic live concert on his Midwest tour ".

In no way am I saying that tape is a Q8 , but I thought I'd mention this as his name regarding quad...... jogged my memory.

None of these tapes are quad, or even simulated quad in my opinion.

The reason they did this was that by producing a tape with a quad notch and identical content on both programs it ensured that the tape was compatible no matter what kind of player was installed in the record store that received it.

This isn't unprecedented either for ABC/GRT - ABC released a handful of classical recordings using this double-stereo notched cartridge format, touting their compatibility with all players as a selling point.

None of these tapes are quad, or even simulated quad in my opinion.

The reason they did this was that by producing a tape with a quad notch and identical content on both programs it ensured that the tape was compatible no matter what kind of player was installed in the record store that received it.

This isn't unprecedented either for ABC/GRT - ABC released a handful of classical recordings using this double-stereo notched cartridge format, touting their compatibility with all players as a selling point.
Bizzare IMHO!

Why? Cheaper to manufacture just one tape that you know will play back correctly on all decks, than not only manufacture separate stereo and quad tapes but also worry about sending the right tapes to places with the appropriate playback equipment.
A simple stereo tape will play on both decks no reason at all for double stereo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes but a stereo tape in a quad deck doesn't necessarily get you sound out of the rear speakers in a quad setup, at least not without some button pressing, whereas the tapes shown above get you sound out of all speakers in all deck/speaker configurations. (50 exclamation points).

Here is a list of the albums the songs come from. Some Quad, others stereo. I would assume upmixes from the stereo albums but until we get a chance to hear it (Oh please
@Quadwreck) we will not know for sure

Contains:
{Available on the stereo only album "Skybird. Arista AL 4059"}
Barry Manilow - Could It Be Magic
{Available on the stereo only album "Barry Manilow. Bell Records BELL 1129"}
{Available on the Quadraphonic album "Tryin' To Get The Feeling. Arista AQ 4060"}
{Available on the stereo only album "Rollin'. Bell Records BELLS 244"}
Urszula Dudziak - Papaya
{Available on the stereo only album "Urszula. Arista AL 4065"}
{Available on the stereo only album "Not A Little Girl Anymore. Arista AL 4047"}
{Available on the stereo only album "From South Africa To South Carolina. Arista AL 4044"}
{Available on the stereo only album "Outlaws. Arista AL 4042"}
{Available on the Quadraphonic album "Melissa. Arista AQ 4060"}
{Available on the Quadraphonic album "Greatest Hits. Arista AQ 4045"}
{Available on the Quadraphonic album "Eric Carmen. Arista AQ 4057"}
{Available on the stereo only album "Terry. Arista AL 4055"}
I'm close to getting back into audio projects, my place has been something of a warehouse these past years, but I've slowly been reconditioning equipment and preparing records and tapes for sale, in addition to household projects and running my record store. I'm seeing the opposite side of every room now (there's still the attic and basement, eek), there's also the occasional girlfriend...anyway, it's on my list of priority audio projects.

Yes but a stereo tape in a quad deck doesn't necessarily get you sound out of the rear speakers in a quad setup, at least not without some button pressing, whereas the tapes shown above get you sound out of all speakers in all deck/speaker configurations. (50 exclamation points).
All the quad 8 track decks that I have ever seen output double stereo, both home and auto units. IMHO it's most important that they do so in automobiles!

Last edited:
I don't think the purpose of the tape was to demonstrate quad, just highlight the label's new releases that month. I agree with Steelydave as to why they used a quad cart. I am surprised they used an 8-track rather than an LP.

Back