My Quadrophenia HFPA Won't Load!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick1

Hey- I need some thoughts here. I can't get the Quadrophenia Blu-Ray HFPA disc to load into my BDP-83. The screen shows "loading", and it goes and goes. Then it sounds like the disc is going a million miles an hour. So I hit "Stop", it won't. The only way to get it to stop is to hit "Open." OPPO advised me to get a new HDMI cable, which I did, from MonoPrice. Still, no go

Thoughts, anyone??? Heeellllllpppppp!!!!!!!!
Thanks.

Other users of the Oppo 83 had the same problem if I am not mistaken. Some did not have the latest firmware version, are you up to date with this?

Please note, some users did not upgrade the fw because of the ISO playback option, which is not available in tater fw versions.

Yes, I believe I am updated with the latest 83 firmware, which was from March 7, 2012 (correct?) Thanks for your response, RVD!

Other users of the Oppo 83 had the same problem if I am not mistaken. Some did not have the latest firmware version, are you up to date with this?

Please note, some users did not upgrade the fw because of the ISO playback option, which is not available in tater fw versions.

83s don't have ISO playback capability. Only the 93/95s...

It plays fine on my 83SE (same firmware as a standard 83)... I'm on the latest firmware.

Is the edge of the disc rough? There was a bad batch....

Can I dosomething to alleviate this "rough edge"?
OPPO now tells me to go into menu and choose LPCM over BITSTREAM, which I will duly give a go with.
Thanks everyone!!!

Sounds like a mechanical problem caused by the ripples on the outer edge of the disc - I experienced the same problem and my replacement disc should arrive tomorrow.

Can someone please explain to me why the hell this is in the "Ask Steven Wilson" section of the forum when it's so crystal clear that Steven Wilson had absolutely nothing to do with this disc? He didn't even mix it!!

One of the mods should move this thread to a more appropriate section, like maybe a section about Blu-Ray...

Sorry, I didn't know I was in the Steven Wilson section. Certainly not intended by me, or by my poor Thread creating skills. I apologize to all QQ members. Thanks.

Sounds like a mechanical problem caused by the ripples on the outer edge of the disc - I experienced the same problem and my replacement disc should arrive tomorrow.

Hey. Where did you purchase your disc from?

OPPO has been most excellent in trying to get my disc to run properly, even corresponding with me multiple times ON A SUNDAY! My current situation is that I've replaced the HDMI (just to do it), but have exited BIT on the 83 Set-Up, and enabled LPCM, per OPPO. THE DISC LOADED AND WORKED!!!............until the last two tracks, when it started "whirling" again.

While I'm reporting this to OPPO, and will most definitely get more MOST APPRECIATED constructive comments in regards to a fix, I have initiated a return to Amazon US for a replacement. Thanks, everybody!

OPPO has been most excellent in trying to get my disc to run properly, even corresponding with me multiple times ON A SUNDAY! My current situation is that I've replaced the HDMI (just to do it), but have exited BIT on the 83 Set-Up, and enabled LPCM, per OPPO. THE DISC LOADED AND WORKED!!!............until the last two tracks, when it started "whirling" again.

While I'm reporting this to OPPO, and will most definitely get more MOST APPRECIATED constructive comments in regards to a fix, I have initiated a return to Amazon US for a replacement. Thanks, everybody!

Amazon is usually pretty good with returns/exchanges. Get that Bad Boy replaced :eek:

Can someone please explain to me why the hell this is in the "Ask Steven Wilson" section of the forum when it's so crystal clear that Steven Wilson had absolutely nothing to do with this disc? He didn't even mix it!!

One of the mods should move this thread to a more appropriate section, like maybe a section about Blu-Ray...

Moved!

Thanks, Jon. Didn't mean to upset anyone. No more thread opens for me.

Hey Patrick, no one was upset with you mate. We all make mistakes all the time. No one except maybe some of the mods are pro on forums.

No one got mad, simple mistake........please keep posting and making threads.

Me thinks Rtbluray was just like huh why no Steve Wilson??

So yeah if you have a question please respond in a thread or start a post ............these people are here to help ya if ya need it. :banana:

Last edited:

Don't let it appear to you like I was 'mad' about your post in this particular forum. More confusion than anything else.
Just because a forum has the word "Ask" in the title doesn't mean that it's always the most appropriate place to post a question or concern.
In your case, there were just plenty of other areas of the forum where this topic would have been more appropriate to post instead of this one.

Plus, if there's anyone on here who could probably have answered your question, it's Neil Wilkes. He didn't author this disc, but he has the best knowledge of Blu-Rays, DVD-As and how they are supposed to operate in their appropriate players than anyone else on this entire forum!

Don't be ridiculous! Please do not stop posting or creating a new thread. That's why we're here.
Getting things in the wrong forum is no big deal. Takes me a minute or less to fix it.
Not a problem at all.

Everybody gets things wrong sometimes. Especially me! :)

Amazon - replacement spins up quietly and plays fine.

Back