What Are You Waiting On? (Surround Only)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The two I didn't have (& thanks to Quad Linda for her posting which reminded me),

Isao Tomita "Okhotsk Genso" 4.0 SACD & "SYMPHONY IHATOV" 4.0 SACD

from Farside Music (http://www.farsidemusic.com/) a UK importer of Japanese music. Slightly more expensive than CDJapan but no import duty or fees as they import the discs (they only do Japanese/Asian artists, so no general releases).

Swingle Singers SACD (have no idea what this is, but fredblue said it's a good mix, and I like vocals in surround so...)

oh its a vocal harmonies group Sean, close-mic'd capture of each singer in the recording i imagine, so, it's great discrete surround. if you imagine the different parts being sung by different ranges of human voice being put in different speakers (it's wild! trust me!) so you'll get a bloke singing really low in the rear left replicating the bass notes, female voices up front kinda like the lead instrument (like a shimmering flute or sometimes strings or something) and another distinct, say male, voice in the rear right.. its a jaw-dropping effect. easy listening it may be but its not easy on the senses its thrilling surround sound!! my only criticism is the disc is a bit short!

If I had a dollar for every time I purchased some random, bizarre recording because of Adam...

I could afford Sgt. Pepper's 50th!

:confused:

:yikes ;) if i were a rich man.. ah yabba dabba dabba dabba dabba dabba dabba do!!
(or whatever it is that fiddler on the roof bloke says!)

there's a weight of responsibility (in a way) recommending the more obscure and out there stuff Mike.. and there will always be that risk element you take by going out on a limb and exploring styles and genres that's out of your comfort zone.. but this surround hobby is the most incredible (and expensive!) way of expanding your musical tastes, its a rich tapestry baby, seemingly one without end.. i'm still not bored of it!

hadn't gotten anyting from fleabay in quite a while and I found a sealed ELPowell LP...I've had the CD since it came out, but I always wanted the LP...so sad that it's the only group that I can recall ever seeing live that are now..all dead...and gone...

Doobie Brothers: Farewell Tour: [Warner/Japan Stereo SACD]
Yamina: How Deep is the Ocean [Opus 3 Stereo SACD]
Yuri Honing: Memory Lane [Turtle Records Stereo SACD]
Hannes Minnaar: Piano Music of Gabriel Fauré [Challenge Classics: mch SACD/DVD]
Gene Russell: Talk to my Lady [Black Jazz Records: QS/Quadraphonic encoded RBCD: mfg. in Japan]
Rudolph Johnson: The Second Coming [Black Jazz Records: QS/Quadraphonic encoded RBCD: mfg. in Japan]
Ed Palermo Big Band: The Great Un~American Songbook Vol. I & II [2 RBCD]

Well after years of trying, I finally won myself a copy of the Multichannel SACD of "Heathen" by David Bowie.
Can't wait to get it in!

:)

Well since Audio Fidelity put the Quad releases to sleep (Prince Charming where are you when we need you?) I finally broke down and ordered the "The Collection: An Adventure in Sound" one of the few multi channel releases of theirs I wanted but did not did not pickup at release also Marillion - Misplaced Childhood in 5.1 and of course Steven Wilson - To The Bone and almost forgot George Harrison - LIVE IN JAPAN SACD.

Well after years of trying, I finally won myself a copy of the Multichannel SACD of "Heathen" by David Bowie.
Can't wait to get it in!

:)

I think you'll really enjoy it. I missed out on it when it came out too and was very lucky to score one several years back for a very reasonable price.

Back