Venus and Mars "book" - No 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Didn't expect it so it's not really that much of a loss for me.
These Archive Collection reissues (despite lacking surround when applicable) are quite excellent.
I didn't care for the McCartney II or Wings Over America sets (I bought the former and not the latter) but these two reissues (V&M and WATSOS) could become nice additions to my collection for the right price. So far they are already lower in price than WOA.
My money is first going towards any surround related reissues and new releases though. :)

Snood's fave Album by Paul, might pick up eventually

Yes miss opportunity tho troooooooo (n)

Didn't expect it so it's not really that much of a loss for me.
These Archive Collection reissues (despite lacking surround when applicable) are quite excellent.
I didn't care for the McCartney II or Wings Over America sets (I bought the former and not the latter) but these two reissues (V&M and WATSOS) could become nice additions to my collection for the right price. So far they are already lower in price than WOA.
My money is first going towards any surround related reissues and new releases though. :)

I was silly enough to buy the super deluxe box of McCartney II based on a friends opinion. It's awful, the bonus tracks were unlistenable, he must have been bored when he recorded those songs.

Wings at the Speed of Sound will also be released as a super deluxe box. I've bought the super deluxe boxes of McCartney, Ram, Band on the Run, McCartney II and Wings Over America. Each one is a disappointment in their own way. No 5.1 on BOTR and some juicy archival stuff that wasn't included on each box. IMHO, they are for hard core fans, like me.

When McCartney II was originally released, I was working for CBS. They were distributing McCartney's product in the US. I bought a copy the first day it was out. A few days later, a promo arrived. They added a one-sided single to the package, so that Coming Up (live at Wembley) would be "part" of the album. It had become a big radio hit, and the studio version on the LP was very techno, just like 1/3 of the released version, and perhaps 2/3 of the original unreleased version. I like much of Macca's techno stuff, but then I'm a German techno fan.

Macca's original plan for this albums was a two LP set. It was pruned down to one LP before release. I've heard the unreleased 2 LP version. IHMO, it had far better continuity than the way the tracks are presented on the super deluxe.

I'll buy the super deluxe Venus & Speed of Sound. Neither is anywhere near the top of my list, however.

..... They added a one-sided 45 to the package, so that Coming Up (live at Wembley) would be "part" of the album. It had become a big radio hit, and the studio version on the LP was very techno, just like 1/3 of the released version, and perhaps 2/3 of the original unreleased version.......

I remember that. Very cool, now that I recall that they did that. At the time, I didn't give it much thought, but today after living with the record companies and all of their cost cutting maneuvering, it seems surprising they went through the expense of doing that.

I remember that. Very cool, now that I recall that they did that. At the time, I didn't give it much thought, but today after living with the record companies and all of their cost cutting maneuvering, it seems surprising they went through the expense of doing that.

From Linda's and your post, I szense what I always sensed : the love version was the best one...never figured out why it was never released otherwise....BTW , I still got that 45...

The promo disc was one-sided, and at 33 1/3. The 45 (for sale) had Coming Up (studio) as the "A" side. Coming Up (Live at Glasgow) and Lunch Box/Odd Sox was the "B" side. That way, if you wanted Lunch Box/Odd Sox or the better 45 RPM fidelity, you had to buy the single anyway. As I recall, the single hit a couple weeks prior to the album.

intoxica_305.32072.jpg
paul-mccartney-lunchbox-odd-sox-1980.jpg
comingup.jpg
115280820.jpg
$(KGrHqJHJBYFHKY96gDPBR8KgjSSNg~~60_35.JPG
$T2eC16F,!)kE9s4Z-UlsBSEu(yOVng~~60_35.JPG

Although from a different live venue, perhaps Paul wanted to make it a bit more appealing to buy the Concert for Kampuchea, which also had a live Coming Out. That was released not long after McCartney II. I highly recommend Kampuchea.
2289508.jpg
View attachment 15129

From Linda's and your post, I szense what I always sensed : the love version was the best one...never figured out why it was never released otherwise....BTW , I still got that 45...

I own the DTS surround releases of Band on the Run and Venus and Mars. I'm not sure if they are based on the original quad mixes but they never struck me as being well done surround. I also had BOTR on Q8 and it was OK but never became reference material for me, and IMHO BOTR is better than VAM. I guess my comment is, unless someone was going to go back to the multi-tracks for a totally new mix, I don't think we should cry too hard here. The available mixes just aren't worth the tears. But still.... with all the "stuff" in those sets why not include a copy? Maybe its time to listen to those DTS disks again.

I pre-ordered both the upcoming (out-of-the-closet:p) sets when they were first announced. I've since received two email notifying me of pushed up released dates.:mad:@: These two will be my first deluxe reissues purchased. I have all the other previous releases via HiRes downloads only. I feel "Venus & Mars" is every bit as good as "Band On The Run". In fact, I'll even go on record to say that I feel it's more listenable on repeated plays, and I love "Band On The Run"! :)

I pre-ordered both the upcoming (out-of-the-closet:p) sets when they were first announced. I've since received two email notifying me of pushed up released dates.:mad:@: These two will be my first deluxe reissues purchased. I have all the other previous releases via HiRes downloads only. I feel "Venus & Mars" is every bit as good as "Band On The Run". In fact, I'll even go on record to say that I feel it's more listenable on repeated plays. :)

Snood Loves Venus & Mars more than Band tooooooooooooo :banana:

I'm a little disappointed in what they chose to release too. I'd really like to see a BD instead of a DVD since it is now the norm. 5.1 would be great but as much as I love Paul McCartney, I'd listen to him in MONO and I hate MONO!!!:mad:@:

I'm a little disappointed in what they chose to release too. I'd really like to see a BD instead of a DVD since it is now the norm. 5.1 would be great but as much as I love Paul McCartney, I'd listen to him in MONO and I hate MONO!!!:mad:@:

Take it you have the DTS Venus & Mars 5.1?? It OK, nothing great - sounds koo turned up loud. It about a 7 out of 10

Back