Interview with Steve Lukather of Toto

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool - I coulda sworn I read someplace that Lukather didn't like surround. Maybe there's a chance that iv gets re-released in some format...

I salute Mike Mettler for bringing 5.1 music into the discussion whenever he can and wherever he feels appropriate, in articles, interviews, etc., he's still fighting our corner! (y)

great article...love this...

Lukather: I hope so. The record we’re making is real hi-fi. It has that big, obnoxious production that people who love our music are really going to love: big harmonies, big synths, big guitars, big grooves, great virtuouso musicianship, and classic Toto melodies. Everybody sings on the record. It’s very fresh-sounding.

Mettler: You must love vinyl as a format for listening to music.

Lukather: Yeah, I’m an audiophile myself. It’s so funny when people talk with this reverence for vinyl. I just love it. People forget the bass response and the stereo response, and only focus on the warmth of it. I loved the days of sitting down and looking at an album cover while sitting between the speakers. Nobody was multitasking, nobody had cell phones, and there were no interruptions except for turning the album over. And then you’d go, “Did you hear the solo on Track 3? That was amazing! How about that drum sound? What an amazing tune! I’ve got to hear that again!”

Mettler: That’s why I call it appointment listening whenever I put on a record these days. I don’t do anything but listen.

A good interview indeed, but I was mildly disappointed that with all the discussion of previous surround releases, that there wasn't a question posed about the possibility of anything else from Toto being remixed for 5.1 in the future.

A good interview indeed, but I was mildly disappointed that with all the discussion of previous surround releases, that there wasn't a question posed about the possibility of anything else from Toto being remixed for 5.1 in the future.

Agreed. The first album would be immense.

Back