Canned Heat & Quicksilver Messenger Service - Stereo DSD Downloads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
What's the point of a DSD download when nothing about the master and recording are related to a DSD system?
24/96 would be the best bet imo.

What's the point of a DSD download when nothing about the master and recording are related to a DSD system?
24/96 would be the best bet imo.

Depends on whether or not Super HiRez went back to the original master tapes to create the DSD Downloads.
In some cases in the past, they have indeed done that.

If that's the case here (I don't see any mention of the source info on these), then they would be quite interesting in DSD.

I would think that if they had done that, return to the original master tapes and cut DSD digital masters they would be advertising that prominently.
I know I would.
Plus these are old recordings and imo anything more than 24/96 or even 16\44.1 is not going to yield anything especially if they have not been remastered.
I think DSD holds a certain cachet for certain buyers whether it is warranted or not.

I would think that if they had done that, return to the original master tapes and cut DSD digital masters they would be advertising that prominently.
I know I would.
Plus these are old recordings and imo anything more than 24/96 or even 16\44.1 is not going to yield anything especially if they have not been remastered.
I think DSD holds a certain cachet for certain buyers whether it is warranted or not.

Well, the download sites have to depend on the information provided by the record labels in terms of what they can post in terms of the origins of the downloads - DSD or otherwise.
I did check with Super HiRez and they have reached out to Universal Music to find out the background on these new DSD Downloads provided by the label. So we'll see what the history is.

As to older recordings, ones from the pre-PCM digital days are often the real highlights when transferred from Analog Master Tapes to DSD. For example, if you hear the Analog to DSD Downloads on Super HiRez from
Ike Quebec and Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue, they are really something. Even on an entry-level DSD converter. Definitely worth a listen. Clearly older can be better! :)

I know I would.

An update from Super HiRez. The 4 DSD Downloads were Mastered by Robert Vosgien at Capitol Mastering Studios from the Analog Master Tapes in the Capitol Studios vaults.
They will be adding that info to their web site later today. (It's always good to ask!)

Back