Restored QRX-9001

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadjoe

Hi fellow QuadraphonicQuad members. Well, I've done it, I finally have ordered a Sansui QRX-9001 from Jim at QRX Restore. My unit is being restored at this time, and I hope to have it in a couple of weeks. To say I'm anxious to be getting one after all the years of wanting one is an understatement. I really intended to discuss with you all about doing this, but I just decided to press on. I currently have a QRX-6001 which was mostly restored a few years ago by Chris Ready (he was unable to do anything with the CD-4 section other than replace the caps), and lately the demodulator section is having some serious difficulty maintaining carrier lock. I know I could send off the CD-4 board for a re-build, but I just decided that I'd really love to have a 9001 instead, especially since its CD-4 demodulator is supposed to be much better. When I get it I'll post pics and listening impressions. In the meantime, I have some questions to ask about speakers for the new unit: First, I'm currently using 4 Paradigm Micro Monitors with the 6001, and they sound very nice. However, I still have my Polk Audio speakers from my HT setup that were recently replaced with Focal Speakers. The Polks consist of 2 RTi-100s that have built-in subs (which I'll use for my front speakers) and 2 Monitor 50s for the surround channels. I'm pretty sure they'll be a good match, but what do you all think?

So,,,,, did you get it?
No report back? Just picked up a one owner u it that is fully functional.
Look forward to comparing notes.

Hi fellow QuadraphonicQuad members. Well, I've done it, I finally have ordered a Sansui QRX-9001 from Jim at QRX Restore. My unit is being restored at this time, and I hope to have it in a couple of weeks. To say I'm anxious to be getting one after all the years of wanting one is an understatement. I really intended to discuss with you all about doing this, but I just decided to press on. I currently have a QRX-6001 which was mostly restored a few years ago by Chris Ready (he was unable to do anything with the CD-4 section other than replace the caps), and lately the demodulator section is having some serious difficulty maintaining carrier lock. I know I could send off the CD-4 board for a re-build, but I just decided that I'd really love to have a 9001 instead, especially since its CD-4 demodulator is supposed to be much better. When I get it I'll post pics and listening impressions. In the meantime, I have some questions to ask about speakers for the new unit: First, I'm currently using 4 Paradigm Micro Monitors with the 6001, and they sound very nice. However, I still have my Polk Audio speakers from my HT setup that were recently replaced with Focal Speakers. The Polks consist of 2 RTi-100s that have built-in subs (which I'll use for my front speakers) and 2 Monitor 50s for the surround channels. I'm pretty sure they'll be a good match, but what do you all think?

I haven't got it yet. I'm on vacation in Maine, and I told him I didn't want to take delivery of it until the last week in August. He's supposed to send pics and particulars as it nears readiness. I'll keep everyone posted. I can't wait to get home!

I heard from Jim at QRXrestore today, and he said my unit's almost finished, and that the next phase will be testing. Now I'm getting excited!

OK, cool and I'm sure you will show us large size pictures of the 9001 once you get it back, right Joe.?

:D

Doug

Hello, all. Good news! My "new" QRX-9001 is on it's way, and should arrive on Friday. The cabinet had to be sent off for new veneer, and that was the delay. I feel like a kid at Christmas.

At long last it's here! Wow, I've been playing records for the last two hours, what a joy! The CD-4 section of this receiver is definitely the best I've ever heard. I'm going to try out all my CD-4 cartridges to see which one I like best. Right now I'm using the Audio Technica AT-15SS, which I got NOS, so it is a little bright, but I think once it's broken in it'll smooth out. Jim at qrxrestore.com was great to deal with, and the packing was top-notch. Here are some pics: P1010717.jpgP1010718.jpgP1010724.jpg

Way to go quadjoe! Looks great. You're styling now! :phones

Thanks, Doug. I am so enjoying listening to this. Right now I have Doc Severinsen fever! on the turntable. It is a Command Quadraphonic Lp, which, as you all know is QS. Very nice!

Back