A List of Fake Quad Q8s

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadwreck

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Shall we make a list? Certainly I would start with the most egregious fake Q8s by A&M:
Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass - Greatest Hits, Whipped Cream
Wes Montgomery - Greatest Hits
plus
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
The Guess Who - Flavours, Power In The Music
I'll think of others, probably after someone posts additions.

Carole King "Music" is an interesting title, there are 2 mixes and one is true quad.

Carole King "Music" is an interesting title, there are 2 mixes and one is true quad.

Can you elaborate a bit more on that? Two mixes released on Q8? Both US releases? Any way of distinguishing between the true quad release vs the double stereo release? Or were the fake quad vs real quad the Japan QS vs the US QS?

I must've bought the faux quad mix in 1972 because I was not impressed or convinced. Lots of reverb up the wazoo.

There's this thread from a few years ago buried in the Q4/Q8 section - maybe it could be stickied so we could continue to add to it?

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?2839-Any-Q8-Titles-To-Avoid

FWIW, and I haven't listened to it in ages, but the Wes Montgomery 'Greatest Hits' was discrete for me.

Pretzel Logic is a strange one, almost like the Zappa titles in that it's primarily double stereo with the occasional discrete element in the rears. I think the horns on 'Night By Night' are in the rear speakers for example. It's subtle to say the least, the only way I was able to detect the discrete elements was to listen to it on headphones on my computer and pan the two front channels to one ear and the two rear channels to the other ear.

Herb Alpert's Whipped Cream has many discrete tracks. The only downside is that many of the songs stem from 3-track multi's. Greatest Hits is the one that is derived from the stereo tracks.

I have the 3-track multi to "A taste of Honey" and I can re-create the Quad mix from Whipped Cream easily.

There are some Jim Croce titles on Canadian Command Q8's that are double stereo.

Back