Roger Waters The Wall Live - Official Release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The point is though, if the original mix was 5.1 or 7.1, the most the Atmos system would or should do is deliver that 1:1 to a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker array and they should sound bit for bit identical. Now maybe they DID mix this album in ambisonic with height dimensions! Do they say so?

Did they say they didn't?

and atmos is an attempt to replicate what is heard in a multi speaker movie theater ported into a home theater

it has nothing to do with "lesser" quality anything

if you had the space you could install 34 speakers in your home and replicate the exact same atmos mix you would hear in a movie theater

most people don't have the space so we settle on adding 2 or 4 height speakers to simulate the effect of a movie theater

it works for small spaces and even just the addition of even 2 height speakers adds a 3D sensory experience to what was thoroughly 2D, even 7.1 is strictly 2D (one plane in a 3D xyz space). 34.1.0 would even still be 2D

we see the world in 3D - 3D movies are an attempt to replicate that

we hear the world in 3D - Atmos is an attempt to replicate that

Last edited:
Perhaps. I don't really care though. Music should sound good.
Ironic for someone who is a stickler for vocal performance.

The guy is 74 and still putting on exceptional shows. What would you rather him do?
Give a more honest performance by
  • Not performing songs he can't sing
  • Lower the key or rearrange certain vocals to be sung in a lower register (like many artists do)
  • Don't lip synch and give it his best shot
  • Give up touring

Seems pretty reasonable.

Not really, but if you see it that way, fine. I don't wish to pay for and spend time on music that sounds bad.
I think my family and I can put The Wall through repeated listens. I'm not so sure about the last few Rush concerts, even though I like them more.

Give a more honest performance by
  • Not performing songs he can't sing
  • Lower the key or rearrange certain vocals to be sung in a lower register (like many artists do)
  • Don't lip synch and give it his best shot
  • Give up touring

Seems pretty reasonable.

* Not block multichannel mixes for beloved albums at the last minute

Well, to be fair he was never given the opportunity to preview them. The fault was with Loasby and team for poor communication/coordination.

I didn't know that detail, but it makes sense. I'm still going to wail and rend my garments for what Should Have Been.

I hope one day they'll get an official release, they're already made and paid for.....

(Opens a telegram from the surround sound fans of Roxy Music, Tears for Fears, and Elton John)

Ahem....Not that it's a sure thing, of course.

Can anyone tell me if the songs that are included are full versions or do they cut some short with the documentary stuff? I can cut out all the dialog via Audacity if so and actually have something I would listen to repeatedly.

Can anyone tell me if the songs that are included are full versions or do they cut some short with the documentary stuff? I can cut out all the dialog via Audacity if so and actually have something I would listen to repeatedly.
I own the Blu Ray, there are 39 chapters and none of the concert song chapters are interrupted by dialogue. There is also the bonus disc but that’s more of extras, etc.

I own the Blu Ray, there are 39 chapters and none of the concert song chapters are interrupted by dialogue.

I wonder if that new dvdfab hi-res converter can rip just the songs out of the blu-ray into individual 5.1 wav's/flac's seeing how they are each individual chapters?

That way you could have something that you could listen to repeatedly.

If it ripped it all couldn’t you edit with tag program and just delete the chapters you don’t want. Watching now, starts with his little movie about his dad, etc, the concert comes up and it switches from concert footage to movie footage, but the audio stays concert. Super great Blu Ray highly recommend. I saw this show at AT&T Park in SF a few years ago, I was hoping when I bought this they would show AT&T but they don’t.
I think the visuals make the whole, having audio only, not my advice.

If it ripped it all couldn’t you edit with tag program and just delete the chapters you don’t want.

That's what I was thinking. Rip all 39 chapters consecutively (I have a feeling this is what dvdfab would do) and just delete the ones of dialog and you'd be left only with the concert songs in consecutive order.

I don't see an issue ripping it. I just didn't want to buy it if its a bunch of half songs interrupted by dialog of the "movie". If most of the songs are complete and there's not a bunch of voice over, then that's great.

I don't see an issue ripping it. I just didn't want to buy it if its a bunch of half songs interrupted by dialog of the "movie". If most of the songs are complete and there's not a bunch of voice over, then that's great.
Well then you should buy it , guaranteed there is no movie audio interrupting the songs.

WOW! I just played the Roger Waters The Wall Live last night. What a production. A lot went into making that show. The Dolby Atmos was a nice enhancement with specific overhead information when called for. (y) (y)

Back