Roger Waters The Wall Live - Official Release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, a live surround mix can be discrete until the point where it takes me out of the "live" experience, then as a listener and mixing engineer, I tend to want to push more elements back towards the front again. But FX are key. The right amounts of reverb, delay, and compression are important for any mix, but they are especially key for live mixes, as the reverbs and delays help to give you the sense of being in a large space while compression can help to add a lot of needed energy to the mix.

That's why I'm especially looking forward to not only this live disc (when it arrives now in the middle of December for me) but also R40 (which should arrive any minute now!) :)

All the Rush Blu Rays released thus far sound atrocious.

I think good examples of live mixes that masterfully use discreteness, while still feeling like a live show, are the Porcupine Tree vids. Arriving Somewhere and Anesthetize are both great.
I remember being simply blown AWAY by one of them.

Ian Anderson's Blu Ray mixed by Jakko is fantastic.

All the Rush Blu Rays released thus far sound atrocious.

Not this one (R40)
I just received it, and this is the best a RUSH concert has ever sounded on Blu-Ray. If you don't like the sound of this one, then you must not like the sound of RUSH live then cause I doubt a live concert mix of theirs can sound any better than this one does.

(Oops…right this is a Roger Waters thread. I'll have more to say on R40 in that particular thread.) :)

For me, a live surround mix can be discrete until the point where it takes me out of the "live" experience, then as a listener and mixing engineer, I tend to want to push more elements back towards the front again. But FX are key. The right amounts of reverb, delay, and compression are important for any mix, but they are especially key for live mixes, as the reverbs and delays help to give you the sense of being in a large space while compression can help to add a lot of needed energy to the mix.

That's why I'm especially looking forward to not only this live disc (when it arrives now in the middle of December for me) but also R40 (which should arrive any minute now!) :)

I was expecting to be blown away by the FXs of this concert, they just had to replicate what they did live, simple! And they did not... The stuka flying above you sounds weak and the roaring when the wall came down is now reduced to some faint explosions. I was only startled by Roger's machine gun. I'm also missing this concert to sound big, as you could expect from the big venues where it was shot at. There's almost no echo in the mix!
Anyway, I'm not having the best of the days today, so maybe I'm not being fair. Seeing Roger crying in the car with the rain splashed windows didn't help either...
I'm going to give it another try now on headphones and a bit more relaxed, let's see how it goes.

Roger Waters The Wall Live - Official Release
Why do these things e.g. The Wall, Amused to Death take so long to come out?! None of us are getting any younger.

I see someone started a similar thread on another forum, and that gentleman had a hat and a cat!

I really hope the London 02 show where Gilmour (and Mason) guested is included somewhere, as I was there !

I thought I read somewhere that Amused To Death was finished a year before it was released but the label wanted to wait.

This has to be the worst sounding album of all Pink Floyd and solo projects. It sounds like you are listening to the concert from backstage! Not good!

I've watched this a couple of times, and I think its superb. I was dreading the documentary bits, but although some were a bit cringeworthy, there weren't that many of them, and not much of the film is taken up with this.

I also think that the sound of the gig is excellent, although I agree that the explosions could be a bit louder! For comparison yesterday I watched Peter Gabriel's Back to Front bluray first, and I thought The Wall sounded better, both in terms of overall sound and surround.

On the subject of Roger's lip syncing, I was reading an interesting thread over at the Steve Hoffman forum. Somewhere there has spent many hours listening to bootlegs and watching Youtube videos, and has come up with the following list of Roger's The Wall show:

In The Flesh? - All lip synced
The Thin Ice - All live
Another Brick 1 - All lip synced
The Happiest Days of Our Lives - All lip synced
Another Brick 2 - All lip synced
The Ballad of Jean Charles - All live
Mother - All live
Goodbye Blue Sky - no Rog vocals
Empty Spaces - some nights all synced, some nights all live
What Shall We Do Now? - All lip synced
Young Lust - All lip synced
One of My Turns - all live before "Run to the bedroom", then all lip synced
Don't Leave Me Now - was all lip synced until about halfway through the tour when it was mostly live except for the very highest lines like "to put through the shredder"
Another Brick 3 - All lip synced
The Last Few Bricks - no Rog vocals
Goodbye Cruel World - All live

Hey You - all lip synced
Is There Anybody Out There? - wouldn't really call this lip synced because it's just a mood piece, but yeah it's pre-recorded
Nobody Home - All live except for "Ooo babe, when I pick up the phone"
Vera - All lip synced
Bring the Boys Back Home - the higher part is all lip synced but I'm pretty sure he's singing it lower as well which is live
Comfortably Numb - All live
The Show Must Go On - no Rog vocals
In The Flesh - all lip synced
Run Like Hell - all lip synced
Waiting for the Worms - vocals straight off the 1979 album
Stop - all lip synced
The Trial - all lip synced
Outside the Wall - all live

This list is way more lip syncing than I expected, but I did only see the show once (luckily the O2 show where Gilmour appeared :eek:). I'll have to watch The Wall live bluray again, and follow Roger's singing more closely.

Are we really surprised though? I always assumed the higher parts were not live - there is no way Roger can sing those that good at his age. I've always thought of this tour as more of a 'spectacle' rather than a rock concert. The blu-ray is really well done, looks and sound great - pretty much demo disc material.

The lip synching list is pretty accurate.

Thank you for the confirmation.

I think I'll stick to the studio originals then rather than pick this up, I've no interest in anyone miming their way through their old stuff,
not even someone of Waters' stature, I don't care how spectacular the staging and so forth is, I'd much rather a live performance warts and all, though I understand why they have done it if his vocals aren't upto snuff or whatever, personally its not for me.
(Thanks to QQ I'm saving a lot of money lately not buying all these things like The Beatles etc, its quite a relief on the old finances! :D )

Thank you for the confirmation.

I think I'll stick to the studio originals then rather than pick this up, I've no interest in anyone miming their way through their old stuff,
not even someone of Waters' stature, I don't care how spectacular the staging and so forth is, I'd much rather a live performance warts and all, though I understand why they have done it if his vocals aren't upto snuff or whatever, personally its not for me.
(Thanks to QQ I'm saving a lot of money lately not buying all these things like The Beatles etc, its quite a relief on the old finances! :D )

You mean you don't appreciate a good ventriloquist?...I just don't understand how this guy gets a pass on this stuff...Paul McCartney is older than Roger...Tony Bennett is 17 years older...and neither resort to this approach....Elton is only 4 years younger...there are many older singers that have the same problem with their voice and they adjust to it by adding back up singers or rounding off the notes...and a few(not nearly enough)realize that they can't do it anymore and hang it up

You mean you don't appreciate a good ventriloquist?...I just don't understand how this guy gets a pass on this stuff...Paul McCartney is older than Roger...Tony Bennett is 17 years older...and neither resort to this approach....Elton is only 4 years younger...there are many older singers that have the same problem with their voice and they adjust to it by adding back up singers or rounding off the notes...and a few(not nearly enough)realize that they can't do it anymore and hang it up

I don't understand this either. I've heard rumours of his lip syncing over the years, but the ratio of sung to lip synced in the list above - wow! I'm still a bit in denial about this, so as I said I'll have to watch the bluray again more closely to try and see for myself. Its not like he was ever that good a singer, so surely the audience would be forgiving if he sung less than 100%. I maybe understand some of the high bits not being sung, but songs like Another Brick In the Wall Pt 2 can't be that difficult to sing can they?

Back