Roger Waters The Wall Live - Official Release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish it was...I'd be all over that...I have zero interest in this one...

The Wall has been released how many times now? The original and deluxe studio versions, the movie, the Berlin show, the Pink Floyd show in London, and now this. Unless it turns out to be something spectacular, I'm out on this one too.

The Wall has been released how many times now? The original and deluxe studio versions, the movie, the Berlin show, the Pink Floyd show in London, and now this. Unless it turns out to be something spectacular, I'm out on this one too.

The movie was rumored to be released on blu ray.... but it never happened...I have the Palladia HD version on my HD-DVR...but I'd love to have a blu ray version with improved sound quality...

Could there be a chance that the 2nd disc contains the original album in surround? I know Roger got some exclusive rights to The Wall as part of the divorce. Does that include the right to rerelease it under his name? That would be pretty much incredible... :)

That's highly unlikely.
If you read the James Guthrie interview I posted in the "Amused to Death" thread, "The Wall" is next on Guthrie's remix list, but it sounds like he hasn't even begun remixing yet.

That's highly unlikely.
If you read the James Guthrie interview I posted in the "Amused to Death" thread, "The Wall" is next on Guthrie's remix list, but it sounds like he hasn't even begun remixing yet.

Hmmm - I honestly think I'd rather just have The Wall (movie) released on blu-ray as opposed to getting The Wall (music) released in surround...eh...wouldn't I? lol...yes, yes...yes I would. Er...well...on second thought...maybe not.

OK - how about BOTH! Same time...I'd buy both.

Hmmm - I honestly think I'd rather just have The Wall (movie) released on blu-ray as opposed to getting The Wall (music) released in surround...eh...wouldn't I? lol...yes, yes...yes I would. Er...well...on second thought...maybe not.

Hee! That sorts it. :)

Man - I used to mix live sound once in awhile, nothing big, just buddies' local bands. But I eventually gave it up for various reasons, not the least of which was that I was too damn thin-skinned for the job. I was always trying so hard to get it perfect, it just made me nervous as hell. To even think of something on this scale - to take on the task of remixing one of the most iconic pieces of modern music out there - no way, José.

-- Diego

I wonder if any of this was recorded at the O2 London a few years ago, a brilliant gig with some surround effects.

That's highly unlikely.

My real hope is he will do a better job with the surround mix than his track record would indicate. The reality is, it will probably be more of the same.

Disc one will be the documentary with some footage from the last concert tour interspersed throughout and in Dolby Atmos....Disc 2 is likely an ENTIRE concert from Roger Waters the Wall tour also in surround....the concert was magnificent...this is an instant buy...

Disc one will be the documentary with some footage from the last concert tour interspersed throughout and in Dolby Atmos....Disc 2 is likely an ENTIRE concert from Roger Waters the Wall tour also in surround....the concert was magnificent...this is an instant buy...

Let's hope! I can't possibly imagine what could be on that 2nd Blu-Ray besides the full 2010-2013 concert performance. I highly doubt it's anything from the Pink Floyd era of "The Wall", but stranger things have happened before.

My real hope is he will do a better job with the surround mix than his track record would indicate. The reality is, it will probably be more of the same.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt simply because I don't think anyone is up to the enormous task of putting that album back together again like he can, seeing as how there's probably no one in the engineering world that knows that recording better than he does.

I prefer the album in surround over a Blu-Ray release of the movie myself, but if they came out with a 4-disc set with the album on 2 CDs, remixed to surround on Blu-Ray 1, and the film on Blu-Ray 2, that would be an excellent set for me!
One thing I do prefer about the movie over the album is the film version of "Empty Spaces" that segues into "What Shall We Do Now?" The album version without the latter track always leaves me disappointed...

The movie was rumored to be released on blu ray.... but it never happened...I have the Palladia HD version on my HD-DVR...but I'd love to have a blu ray version with improved sound quality...

Pink Floyd time is kind of like Led Zeppelin time.
When asked why it took 5 years for the O2 concert to be released on home media, John Paul Jones quipped, "5 years is like 5 minutes in Zeppelin time. I'm surprised we got it out so quickly." ;)

I wonder if any of this was recorded at the O2 London a few years ago, a brilliant gig with some surround effects.

I would at least hope that the O2 footage with David and Nick (along with the behind-the-scenes stuff with them) will be bonus material as part of this set.

I just got back from the screening in Chicago. I went to the show with one of my colleagues, a film studies teacher who is also a filmmaker and a Floyd fan. It was wonderful to be able to discuss the various aspects of the film with someone who understands filmmaking. Here are some of my thoughts in no particular order.

The film looks fantastic projected in 4k. The concert footage was pretty amazing, but this was expected especially considering all the opportunities they had to capture the show. The sound, in Dolby Atmos, was also incredible, as expected as well (one of the reasons why I chose this relatively new state of the art theater).

I found Liam Neeson’s intro suspect and wonder if this will even be included in the official release. It was a very personal account of The Wall and it felt strange being introduced by a single person. Perhaps if more celebs were interviewed and intercut it may have worked better but I could have done without this completely.

I’ve been quite critical and wary of the intercut documentary footage, without ever having seen the film, and I really tried to keep an open mind tonight. I was surprised to find that the “road trip” sequences were moving at times but they didn’t always work. I would have much preferred seeing them as a prologue and epilogue (which I thought worked well and were my favorite parts of the doc) and as part of the intermission. Roger and his kids visiting his grandfather’s grave site was very moving but I could have done without the conversation in the car that followed. Much of the interruptions of Roger on the road with his brother, especially when they’re on the side of the road talking about the thunderbolt that Roger didn’t remember, seemed really self-indulgent and pointless.

The road trip sequences intercut with the film only worked sometimes. But I ultimately respect the decision of the filmmakers to include it even though I disagree with it… we’re pulled out of the concert too many times, and needlessly. The “one more for the road” sequence with the story of the dinner table being undisturbed when the family returned after the war was moving but I felt it was inappropriately placed in the film.

I didn’t mind the musical sections that were cut (like the solos) and I’m sure that the uninitiated will never know what was cut.

Not only did I not mind the crowd shots but I actually found them moving during Comfortable Numb. The ones during Brick 2 were silly, even fun at times. The rest of the crowd shots felt appropriate.
The lack of screen presence of the band members didn’t bother me while watching the film but in hindsight I felt that they were slighted.

This was nothing like seeing the concerts live, this was a total cinematic experience. I don’t understand when people say that this was just like being at the show because for me it was the furthest thing from it.

The cinematography was gorgeous, even the road trip was really well photographed.
I liked the editing, no quick MTV cuts which gave the camera time to linger on images. This was one of the biggest surprises to me.

Finally, one of my pet peeves is when films end with the title THE END. We know it’s the fucking end of the film, we don’t need to have it telegraphed. We’re not stupid.

So it was a hit and miss experience but that’s what I’d come to expect. If this is the film that Roger wants us all to see and if the home video release does not include the uncut performance then I will respect that because as a filmmaker I have to. And I do appreciate what he tried to do, especially since he figured this out this aspect of the film along the way. That much I like, even though it wasn’t always successful.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out over time and how much I return to this film in the years to come. At least this aspect of The Wall is finally behind him. Now he can concentrate on something different, like the Broadway version of The Wall. :yikes

Hey All,

I am in San Diego tonight and attended the screening with a friend and long-time Floyd tape trader. Well, our experience was a complete bust. After show time came and went with only a Windows 7 task bar at the bottom of our IMAX screen, a self appointed audience member made multiple trips to talk with the management, and he (and not the management) came back to report that the "file was corrupted and she show has been cancelled." We received ticket vouchers for another movie and a refund (minus the service fees for advanced purchase), and we drove home empty headed.

Needless to say, something less than what I had hoped to experience tonight.

Having seen nothing, let me ask those who did go: was there a Q & A session with Roger and Nick, and if so, how was it? Anything interesting?

There was an advert in the newspaper today for the forthcoming 2 disc blu ray version, and it said something like "includes 95 minutes of extras, including footage from the O2 concert (featuring David Gilmour and Nick Mason)". It didn't specifically say that these extras were the bonus disc, they could in theory I suppose be extras on the main disc. But I doubt it, which would put paid to our hopes for having a complete concert video included :(. On the plus side it does confirm the O2 footage with DG & NM, which makes it a must buy for me, as I was lucky to have been at that gig :)

I just got back from the screening in Chicago. I went to the show with one of my colleagues, a film studies teacher who is also a filmmaker and a Floyd fan. It was wonderful to be able to discuss the various aspects of the film with someone who understands filmmaking. Here are some of my thoughts in no particular order.

The film looks fantastic projected in 4k. The concert footage was pretty amazing, but this was expected especially considering all the opportunities they had to capture the show. The sound, in Dolby Atmos, was also incredible, as expected as well (one of the reasons why I chose this relatively new state of the art theater).

I found Liam Neeson’s intro suspect and wonder if this will even be included in the official release. It was a very personal account of The Wall and it felt strange being introduced by a single person. Perhaps if more celebs were interviewed and intercut it may have worked better but I could have done without this completely.

I’ve been quite critical and wary of the intercut documentary footage, without ever having seen the film, and I really tried to keep an open mind tonight. I was surprised to find that the “road trip” sequences were moving at times but they didn’t always work. I would have much preferred seeing them as a prologue and epilogue (which I thought worked well and were my favorite parts of the doc) and as part of the intermission. Roger and his kids visiting his grandfather’s grave site was very moving but I could have done without the conversation in the car that followed. Much of the interruptions of Roger on the road with his brother, especially when they’re on the side of the road talking about the thunderbolt that Roger didn’t remember, seemed really self-indulgent and pointless.

The road trip sequences intercut with the film only worked sometimes. But I ultimately respect the decision of the filmmakers to include it even though I disagree with it… we’re pulled out of the concert too many times, and needlessly. The “one more for the road” sequence with the story of the dinner table being undisturbed when the family returned after the war was moving but I felt it was inappropriately placed in the film.

I didn’t mind the musical sections that were cut (like the solos) and I’m sure that the uninitiated will never know what was cut.

Not only did I not mind the crowd shots but I actually found them moving during Comfortable Numb. The ones during Brick 2 were silly, even fun at times. The rest of the crowd shots felt appropriate.
The lack of screen presence of the band members didn’t bother me while watching the film but in hindsight I felt that they were slighted.

This was nothing like seeing the concerts live, this was a total cinematic experience. I don’t understand when people say that this was just like being at the show because for me it was the furthest thing from it.

The cinematography was gorgeous, even the road trip was really well photographed.
I liked the editing, no quick MTV cuts which gave the camera time to linger on images. This was one of the biggest surprises to me.

Finally, one of my pet peeves is when films end with the title THE END. We know it’s the fucking end of the film, we don’t need to have it telegraphed. We’re not stupid.

So it was a hit and miss experience but that’s what I’d come to expect. If this is the film that Roger wants us all to see and if the home video release does not include the uncut performance then I will respect that because as a filmmaker I have to. And I do appreciate what he tried to do, especially since he figured this out this aspect of the film along the way. That much I like, even though it wasn’t always successful.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out over time and how much I return to this film in the years to come. At least this aspect of The Wall is finally behind him. Now he can concentrate on something different, like the Broadway version of The Wall. :yikes

Great post, which pretty much sums up my experience of the showing too! It would be cool if there's an option to strip the road trip sequences from the playback on the DVD/BD version but I don't expect there will be.

Back