HiRez Poll Kooper, Al, Mike Bloomfield, Stephen Stills - SUPER SESSION [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Bloomfield, Kooper, Stills - SUPERSESSION

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
Just got this disc in the post, and after a very fine listen through, I have decided it's a '9' for me. Why? While I thought the surround mix lived up to its expectations, some of the material fell short for me, which I should have known as I streamed the album a few months before buying it and had pretty much the same reaction. Just too much blues soloing for my tastes.
Still nice to have it out in the public rather than sitting on some shelf collecting dust.

OK, so I started by playing Season of the Witch first. I was somewhat disappointed after the first few seconds as I was expecting a more animated mix with things moving around. I am liking the fidelity immensely. My only experience is with the stereo LP and Season from a Japanese sampler, which appears to be an edit at the least. I am finding the bass to be very appropriate for a blues album. I have my loudness contour on, and the room seems warm with bass, but not rocking out or making my speakers dance uncontrollably. The bass guitar and the organ do go wayyy dowwwwn though.
Track 4 has a distracting organ going round. I am finding it too long and out of place on a blues album. If the whole album was in this flavour, I would play it, when I am in the mood for this style of psychedelia. But not bad enough to get the remote to pass the song though.
Track 5 has the organ going back and forth, but it feels like going up and down the keyboard, so I am not distracted here.
Track 6 the vocals sound like the band is playing loud at the local Legion, a little hollow sounding, like being in a room with no treatment, but the banjos show up well.
Track 8 has very active rear movement, I am liking the vibe here.
Track 9 has me feeling like I am in a jazz club, sitting in the middle of the band. I am hearing details that seemed to not be there before.
In all, I find the fidelity the biggest selling point. The album isn't as adventurous as I was expecting, but not a real disappointment. Bits of psychedlia mixed in to a classic blues sound field. I need to play it often. A good reason for liking modern digital surround sound. As a demo disc, there are tracks for almost everyone here with good separation and yes, fidelity. There, I said it again!:banana:

Loved it. Great blues, superb fidelity, nice, nice bass - real depth and presence, and cool sound staging. Panning is OK with me, and like the horns in the rears too. Especially on SOTW. Very enjoyable listen!

That was a good read, thanks for posting. He provides some details that expand upon his excellent liner notes for each release.

I have loved this record since the first time I heard it. I admit I am not unbiased, but I find it completely satisfying in every way.

Been meaning to vote on this one for a while but due to some cruel unfortunate circumstances in my life, not to burden you fine people with my troubles, but damn it how can I be expected to get my reviews in with all of the unforeseeable plethora of releases that are coming out and being forced, yes you heard me, absolutely forced to buy!!! :howl Damn you Audio Fidelity, Steven Wilson and the rest, you know who you are you cads! :mad:@: Sorry wasn't fair of me to dump all of my troubles on you all :mad:@: :banana: :mad:@:

So Supersession *love it*:bounce:bounce:bounce...love it in all of it's bluesy psychedelic swirly panning horny (...and yes I mean real horns, I mean I'm troubled but not that troubled) Hi-Fi 5.1 greatness! A 9 There, now I feel much better. Thanks for listening. :bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce

I had never listened to this album before yesterday and bought it as an afterthought. What a surprise! For me, this is like discovering a hidden gem. I have to give Al Kooper tremendous credit for pulling off this project, especially given that Bloomfield went AWOL the day they were to record side 2; and he managed to get hold of Stills and complete the record anyway. Then years later, he comes up with this, his first surround sound mix which sounds terrific. The cuts and performances on this record appeal to me greatly; and I am not even a blues fan. Glad that I didn't miss out on it.

First off, I am going to clean up this thread, as it's way off target. This is a poll thread and should be treated accordingly.

For those who are worried about what others say without hearing it themselves, here is a screen grab of the entire 5.1 SACD wav files. I don't have a PS3, so these were created by playing the SACD into my PC and recording the audio at 24/96 so I could play it in my Acura's DVD-A player.

:yikes

The SACD sounds great. There is no brickwalling or compression to my ears (or eyes). The mix is full and surrounds the listener like you want to be surrounded. I don't know why there is such a fuss about this one. This is an artist approved mix and when I listen to it I can understand why Al Kooper wanted to get this out to the public. He did a fine job, and oh, by the way, I will NEVER play the stereo side. Why should I? Give me one good reason why I would want to listen to the stereo track. :mad:@:

FL
FR
C
LFE
RL
RR

View attachment 15812

I don't like the EQ, rather bright for the most part.

Great mixes, great material.

Still considering the purchase of this one, my problem is that the I love the original Quad mix so much I can't imagine it being improved upon, it's almost sacrilegious!

Maybe I felt the sonics were a 9 because I listened to Stephen Marcussen butcher Soundgarden Superunknown before I listened to Supersession. A hair dryer or jackhammer offer more pleasing dynamics than Superunknown.

I do stand by my music rating however.

Maybe I felt the sonics were a 9 because I listened to Stephen Marcussen butcher Soundgarden Superunknown before I listened to Supersession. A hair dryer or jackhammer offer more pleasing dynamics than Superunknown.

I do stand by my music rating however.

I feel you on that one! I knew Soundgarden would be bad when I heard Marcussen was mastering it! Real shame.

Still considering the purchase of this one, my problem is that the I love the original Quad mix so much I can't imagine it being improved upon, it's almost sacrilegious!

Yes the quad mix is very good. You won't be disappointed in this mix too however. Don't listen to the people/person who says it doesn't sound good because it sounds very good. I find nothing "rather bright" on this release (sorry keenly).

Yes the quad mix is very good. You won't be disappointed in this mix too however. Don't listen to the people/person who says it doesn't sound good because it sounds very good. I find nothing "rather bright" on this release (sorry keenly).

My hearing is immense. I can hear a mouse run across a field 5 miles away:)

It is bright. It is great for you that you can't hear the brightness. I do think the mix is great.

My hearing is immense. I can hear a mouse run across a field 5 miles away:)

It is bright. It is great for you that you can't hear the brightness. I do think the mix is great.

Great for me and everyone here. Your the only person who thinks it's bright...

Back