HiRez Poll Kooper, Al, Mike Bloomfield, Stephen Stills - SUPER SESSION [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Bloomfield, Kooper, Stills - SUPERSESSION

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
Bloomfield's guitar, especially on the first 2 tracks, is too piercing on my system.
Everyones different...

I love the Bloomfield GTR sound...and don't find it too bright... his is one of my favourite sounding guitars.

Too bright and harsh is Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. :burnout:couch

Everyones different...

I love the Bloomfield GTR sound...and don't find it too bright... his is one of my favourite sounding guitars.

I wouldn't say YBR is any brighter than S.S. I have made my own DVD A version of YBR with 1db off the treble, and that is enough to remove some of the harshness(not that there is much).

My hearing is immense. I can hear a mouse run across a field 5 miles away:)

It is bright. It is great for you that you can't hear the brightness. I do think the mix is great.

I always thought that it would be great if I could not tell the difference between BluRay Audio and AM radio. It would have saved me a lot of money. LOL

Everyones different...

I found the bluray much less "harsh" than the SACD...All the Elton sacd's have a bit of harshness (nothing major) with GBYBR having more than the others but like I said it was greatly improved on the bluray. Still haven't listened to the DVDA so I can't say it's only a pcm vs dsd thing.

Listened to the Supersession sacd again yesterday and the sound is so balanced from top to mids to bottom end that "bright" would be the last adjective I would use to describe it. If I chose only one word, balanced would be it. Damn good mix too...

After my first listening, I believe the key thing about this release is that is playful. It's like an old Quad mix.

Most of the mch releases I've purchased (not many) are, say, "revealing" as they allow you to hear many things that get masked when everything comes from the front. This recording is quite simple, and even in stereo it has always been very clear.

So no revelations regarding previously obscured music, but it got me grinning ear to ear a few times.

I was going to pass on this as the Quad version is so good. All I can say is that the mix is different, I hear some things that I didn't notice before, all in all a very good mix. My preference however still remains for the Quad mix, perhaps due to slightly busier rear channels, more emphasis on guitars and it's what I'm used to. I'll give it an 8.

After a few disappointing plays more than a year ago I'd put this one away for good - or so I thought. In the meantime I'd read a fantastically detailed article about speakers and their placement. My rears are dipoles and after following the advice in the article it was a revelation. Yes this is how the rears should sound; o thank you lord. And with that proper positioning I was further able to slightly move some of my acoustic treatments to further enhance the sound.

So since then (about 3 months ago) I've been re-discovering some of the discs in my collection that I never quite warmed up to. I had posted some negative comments in this thread but now I must say that Super Session is much more pleasing to me. The first track guitar is still a bit too bright but not nearly so much as I felt before. I just finished listening to the whole album through and it was a splendid time. I'll give it an 8 (almost a 9).

So I've learned that it is good to make mistakes as long as you realize that you've made a mistake because that is when you learn. Here's the speaker article if you are interested:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=66471

Not overly fond of most tracks, a few decent tracks. The surround mix is good enough to overall enjoy most of it. Overall enjoyment is a 7.

Not overly fond of most tracks, a few decent tracks. The surround mix is good enough to overall enjoy most of it. Overall enjoyment is a 7.

What is it that bothers you? Not the sort of music you usually like? The vocals annoy you? It might grow on you after a few more plays.

As somebody who jams blues weekly (drums and vocals), this album is iconic for me.
Surprised I never rated this before. This disc was a very early acquisition for me.
The DSD glitch during Season of the Witch is probably what drew me to this site.
Advice to switch over to PCM saved this disc for me.
Anyway, musically, this is simply iconic and legendary. If you don't like it, oh well!
Mix is great. Fidelity, pretty damned good.
Overall, a "9" for me. It ain't no Raven...
Get this.

As somebody who jams blues weekly (drums and vocals), this album is iconic for me.
Surprised I never rated this before. This disc was a very early acquisition for me.
The DSD glitch during Season of the Witch is probably what drew me to this site.
Advice to switch over to PCM saved this disc for me.
Anyway, musically, this is simply iconic and legendary. If you don't like it, oh well!
Mix is great. Fidelity, pretty damned good.
Overall, a "9" for me. It ain't no Raven...
Get this.

That's interesting...I wasn't aware of any issues with this disc.

There is some amazing jamming on here, but I'm not crazy about every tune. I've always loved the first two tracks and "Season Of The Witch", but the rest is still just ok to me.

It's interesting comparing the quad with this new 5. 1 version. As pointed out upthread, the quad is a very extreme "four corner" mix, while the 5.1 has most of the lead instruments in the fronts and the horns in the rears. There's also some fun touches like Bloomfield's pinging around in the beginning of "Stop" and the guitar bouncing back-and-forth between the rears at the end of "Season of the Witch".

Either a high 8 or a low 9, based more on content than mix/fidelity.

Last edited:
Its to do with the DSD conversion from analogue and its conversion back to analogue, at certain points it reaches the maximum 'level' allowed by the specification, so because of the way DSD functions it could potentially go unstable (there is feedback in the conversion due to Noise Shaping) and blast out a load of HF 'noise'. So for safety my amp blanks that portion, which makes you think you have a disc fault. A lot of amps are happy with the DSD stream, its down to how their engineers interpreted the DSD specification. I have my Oppo convert the DSD to PCM as it handles the peak DSD 'level' conversion better, and so the amp is happy! Its happened on a few discs.
Curious- I wasn't aware of any issues with this disc. As I'm away from my actual disc at the moment, all I have is a 88.2/24 PCM rip which probably won't have whatever it is.

I don't know the original quad mix unfortunately but I love the AF mix. Gave it a 10. :)

Last edited:
Back