HiRez Poll Kooper, Al, Mike Bloomfield, Stephen Stills - SUPER SESSION [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Bloomfield, Kooper, Stills - SUPERSESSION

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
So is this going to be another Aerosmith Rocks affair with only half a dozen copies being released to the general public?

Listened to this today in my car (Sony MEX2200 SACD player). The mix sounds very balanced - clean and open. The bass is not an issue at all - actually sounds full and warm - just like it should if mastered properly - and it is! If the bass was an issue, the back seat of my car would have been buzzing like nobody's business. I'm very pleased with this disc - and very much looking forward to Child is Father to Man. Great first 5.1 issue by AF! A 10!

I didn't notice anything obviously awry with the disc and I enjoyed it as I've never heard this album in any form before. I'll hopefully be able to give this a more thorough run-through this weekend.

This is a terrific sounding disc - full, warm & clear. I was only vaguely familiar with the material but am really enjoying it. Even though it is in essence a jam session the overdubbed horns help give the arrangements more weight and structure. I love the mix. It's active & inventive and complements the music nicely. I did find the bass a bit hot on tracks 1 and 5 but not overwhelming. Steve Hoffman did a great job with the stereo mastering. Unfortunately it's one of those 60's stereo mixes with hard panning of the rhythm section. But still it sounds terrific and is not without its charm being a product of the time. I vote a 9.

I love this album especially side one - the electric blues jamming thing that's going on... & Mike's guitar... wow!

Very interesting reading the back story on this - as mentioned in the liner notes (and also in the Bloomfield documentary that QuadLinda posted the link to - thanks QL!).

A couple of points of note (to me):
  • The album was put together in a very short time - e.g. the Bloomfield tracks were done in a day - just over 6 hours... :yikes
  • Considering that Bloomfield went MIA after doing the first 5 tracks its amazing that this thing ever came together & that Kooper managed to get Stills at such short notice..

I got a copy of the quad mix of this a few years ago and I really liked it - as has been mentioned the quad is quite different from the 5.1.

To give you an idea - comparing placements on Track 2: "Stop" on the Quad to the 5.1:

Quad - your classic - "put it in a speaker quad mix"
Front Left - Organ
Front right - Guitar
Left Rear - Bass & Horns
Right Rear - Drums & (some) Organ

Whereas the 5.1 mix - a "fill the fronts & "embellishments" in the rears
Front Channels - Bass / Drums / Organ/ Mike's Guitar
Rear - Horns & reverb / echo - there is also a nice effect on the guitar pinging around the speakers at the start of the track...

When the horns eventually kick in on the 5.1 in the rears you get one of those great surround moments...

On the other hand the "old school quad" sounds great and is discrete.

But the 5.1 has more punch & the sonics are better...

Quite different - but I like them both......

I suspect I have a defect on my disc. On the 5.1 layer on Track 7 " Season Of The Witch" about 3:34-3:25, all audio vanishes the Amp flicks from 5.1 SACD to Stereo then back to 5.1 and the music continues. Its not on the 2.0 layer.

I got back last night to find this had arrived, No. 3437. This is an album I have loved ever since I stumbled across it by accident, so I'm biased towards the music. The music is good, the playing is superb, they're having fun, the 5.1 mix is great, in keeping with the era, and everything is a lot clearer (thanks to the remix I think), and a lot less harsh than the CD I got some years back. So my only gripe is the apparent defect on the disc. Its a 10 from me.

I suspect I have a defect on my disc. On the 5.1 layer on Track 7 " Season Of The Witch" about 3:34-3:25, all audio vanishes the Amp flicks from 5.1 SACD to Stereo then back to 5.1 and the music continues. Its not on the 2.0 layer.

Then it's not just me and not my Oppo (I can never remember which model I have). I don't know if I have the problem at exactly the same spot, but I definitely have a dropout in "Season of the Witch".

I got back last night to find this had arrived, No. 3437. This is an album I have loved ever since I stumbled across it by accident, so I'm biased towards the music. The music is good, the playing is superb, they're having fun, the 5.1 mix is great, in keeping with the era, and everything is a lot clearer (thanks to the remix I think), and a lot less harsh than the CD I got some years back. So my only gripe is the apparent defect on the disc. Its a 10 from me.

Bugger!

Just playing mine now... no problem on my Oppo 83SE....

Then it's not just me and not my Oppo (I can never remember which model I have). I don't know if I have the problem at exactly the same spot, but I definitely have a dropout in "Season of the Witch".

I've a Denon DBP-2012UD, so not an Oppo, looking like a disc issue :howl What Ltd. Ed. disc number do you have?

I have 2898 and mine does the same thing in DSD mode. If I play it in PCM mode it is fine

Loving this one for all the right reasons. I love the music and the surround mix is imaginative and adventurous. Not being a big fan of most progressive rock, I'm glad to see another surround release from the rock genre. I see no reason to give this one anything other than a 10.

Good music, excellent sound, very good surround, especially when the horns come in. I give it a 9.

Back