Audio Crackle on Samsung HD841

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schubie

Hello!

I recently picked up a Samsung HD841 for the purpose of playing SACDs. Regular cds play great through the digital coaxial, but any sound through the RCA cables is faint and crackles. I was hoping to at least use the 2-channel layer of the SACDs through the analogue. Did I buy a unit with screwed up RCA plugs or is there something I'm not understanding? Since the digital coaxial allows me to play regular cds and the cd-layer of SACD discs (and the DVD player also plays flawlessly), I am thinking that the RCA circuits or something are fried. I'm wondering if this is a common concern or if there's something wrong with my unit.

The same thing happens when I use the L and R of the 5.1 Analogs. My receiver isn't a 5.1 Analog...it only has inputs for RCA L and R.

Perhaps finding this unit very cheap was too good to be true.

Last edited:
Something is goofy with yours. I own two of these. The second one is for quad DVD-A and DTS CD mostly. This one is using 4 RCA analog outs and sounds great. Bought for $19.

The other player is optical and DVI to HDMI in main system. Do not recall any issues with analog outs.

From QQ deep space

So I should just be able to plug some regular RCA cables into the Mixed Audio bottom ports, plug the other end into my RCA inputs and be able to hear the 2-CH SACD layer at a clear, full volume, correct?

I just played a stereo SACD (as identified on display) and the $19 player sounds great via analogs.

From QQ deep space

Alright, thanks for your verification.

I got the player for $4, so I can't be too disappointed. It's a working cd and dvd player. But that's not what I bought it for, damn it.

If the RCA connectors or some chips are screwed, I'm guessing it's not worthwhile or perhaps even possible to fix this issue.

If you cannot use optical or coax then toss it on eBay for parts only $10 or just nab another unit.

My JVC DVD-A changer won't play burned quad DVDA discs so the Samsung provided cheap relief for my issue on this system.

From QQ deep space

CDs play fine through digital coaxial (and I can use this connection with my receiver) which is why I'm guessing it's the RCA connectors that are the culprit. If this isn't an easy fix, perhaps I'll just sell it off as a DVD/CD player. The only reason I bought it in the first place was for SACDs.

Thanks again...

You did check the cables and the analog stereo inputs w/ another player, right? Just to rule out anything else that might be the problem before you give up on the Sammie.

I have an HD 841 that I also use for sacd's via the 5.1 analog outs and have never had any problems.

You did check the cables and the analog stereo inputs w/ another player, right? Just to rule out anything else that might be the problem before you give up on the Sammie.

I have an HD 841 that I also use for sacd's via the 5.1 analog outs and have never had any problems.

I've tried several sets of RCA cables and both my receiver inputs and the inputs directly on my TV. Same problem with every configuration. I do have one more receiver I will try before I put this issue behind me. Thanks for your idea!

One last idea before I put this unit to rest:

When I popped the top off and had a look inside, among the circuitry I saw a single fuse. Is it possible that the RCA connectors are refusing to boost the signal because of a blown fuse, or is the fuse totally unconnected to the RCA Audio? I have to crank up the volume FAR more than I should have to in order to hear anything coming from the cables.

One last idea before I put this unit to rest:

When I popped the top off and had a look inside, among the circuitry I saw a single fuse. Is it possible that the RCA connectors are refusing to boost the signal because of a blown fuse, or is the fuse totally unconnected to the RCA Audio? I have to crank up the volume FAR more than I should have to in order to hear anything coming from the cables.

I also doubt that would be the problem, but since you have the top off anyway, why not just pull the fuse and make sure it's OK? Though I'd think if it was blown, you'd get nothing, as opposed to decreased output.

One other thought: maybe the sacd you are listening to is playing back as MCH, so there isn't supposed to be a signal to the stereo (what the manual calls mix) outputs. Just toggle between 2 channel and MCH on the sacd to make sure. I know this sounds too simple and I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but there have been numerous problems I've had w/ components that ended up to be me overlooking something simple.

I also doubt that would be the problem, but since you have the top off anyway, why not just pull the fuse and make sure it's OK? Though I'd think if it was blown, you'd get nothing, as opposed to decreased output.

One other thought: maybe the sacd you are listening to is playing back as MCH, so there isn't supposed to be a signal to the stereo (what the manual calls mix) outputs. Just toggle between 2 channel and MCH on the sacd to make sure. I know this sounds too simple and I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but there have been numerous problems I've had w/ components that ended up to be me overlooking something simple.

No, that's a good idea, and I made sure that I did toggle between the 2-CH and Multichannel versions. This did nothing (both were faint and crackled).

I thank you for your input. I saw nothing obvious amiss with the RCA connectors when I had the top off, and the fuse looked intact. If something blew, or became disconnected, it's nothing obvious.

I have officially given up on this issue, although if anyone has any future insights that may resolve this, I would, of course, appreciate hearing them.

Try and play around with some of the player's settings in the menu options. Also, try downloading and installing updated firmware (especially some of the unofficial firmware updates that allows the unit play SACD-Rs). Don't give up on such a versatile device!

I spent lots of time changing the settings in the menu, to no avail. And I've tried several versions of the firmware that allows SACD-R. Would the firmware even affect the RCA jacks?

Both good suggestions, but unfortunately doesn't fix my problem.

Have you tried cleaning the output jacks w/ something like deoxit? Also, have you tried using the FL and FR outputs in the 5.1 analog outs to see if they suffer the same problem? If not, you could just use those 2 even though listening to stereo- or better yet, add a CC and surrounds! If the 5.1 analog outs suffer the same fate, that might mean there's something wrong in the DAC stage.

I did wipe them down and had a good look at them when I had them apart. There is no visible dirt or discoloraton. And yes, even when I use the FL and FR outputs in the 5.1 set the same problem recurs. Thanks nonetheless!

I am guessing that "DAC Stage" means something amiss on the circuit board and thus unfixable for an amateur like myself.

I did wipe them down and had a good look at them when I had them apart. There is no visible dirt or discoloraton. And yes, even when I use the FL and FR outputs in the 5.1 set the same problem recurs. Thanks nonetheless!

I am guessing that "DAC Stage" means something amiss on the circuit board and thus unfixable for an amateur like myself.

DAC= digital to analog converter. I'm no engineer or electronics guru, so take what I say w/ a grain of salt, but I just thought that if all the analog outputs are messed up, it seems likely that the problem happens in the stage that converts the digital stream to analog. And no, that would not be easily repaired by your average user...

Have you tried contacting LG customer support to see if they have any ideas?

You're probably right that the DAC stage is where this is happening/not happening. It makes sense.

No, I haven't contacted Samsung since the product is pretty old and I'm not the original purchaser. But I'll send along an email, for all the effort it takes.

Thanks...

Back