Stones Sympathy for the Devil on a 5.1 Surround Sound SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
ABKCO Records, Universal Music International and the Rolling Stones have announced that they will be releasing a Sympathy for the Devil Remix maxi-single in September.

The maxi-single will be a single inventory, Hybrid Multichannel SACD featuring 7 tracks - 6 of remixes of Sympathy for the Devil and the 7th featuring the original version.

According to ABKCO, all 7 tracks will be featured in 5.1 SACD Surround Sound, SACD Stereo and CD Stereo on the disc.

Check my story on the news posted by High Fidelity Review at
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=10042225 for more details.

Last edited:
While I can't really say I give a rat's behind about the remixes (I generally despise the whole "remix" phenomenon), I can say I can't think of a Stones song more deserving of a 5.1 remix than "Sympathy." That alone will be worth the price of admission for me. :sun

dprokopy said:
While I can't really say I give a rat's behind about the remixes (I generally despise the whole "remix" phenomenon), I can say I can't think of a Stones song more deserving of a 5.1 remix than "Sympathy." That alone will be worth the price of admission for me. :sun

Beyond the AOL connection and the remixes, this seems to be a trial balloon to see if there is interest in 5.1 Surround versions of the Stones material.

I'm interested in hearing the finished product next month.

I doubt this is in the works, really. Only the late-sixties albums would really benefit from surround mixing. Prior to "Beggars Banquet," all of their material was done on, at most, 4-track machines - and some of their earliest material was recorded straight to mono.

Granted, I wouldn't put it past ABKCO to put out the whole catalog as stereo hybrid SACD's, as they've done, then remix everything for surround and make us buy them all over again... :rolleyes: But I really seriously doubt they'd go through the trouble. Hell, it took them 16 years to upgrade the CD catalog in the first place.

Now their post-ABKCO material (which they own and control themselves) is a whole other story...

JonUrban said:
Sign me up for this one too!

Me too. If it wasn't 5.1 I'd probably pass. I'd love a surround version of Satanic Majesties or Let It Bleed.

LarryDavenport said:
Me too. If it wasn't 5.1 I'd probably pass. I'd love a surround version of Satanic Majesties or Let It Bleed.

The other part of this is the price of the disc. Since it's an SACD "maxi single" and not a full album, the suggested list price is $7.98

At that price, it may be attractive to a number of folks who want to hear the Stones in 5.1 Surround.

Last edited:
I can't believe that there isn't more talk about this one!

I took a little break from checking out my newly received "QuadBob" restored Q8 player to deconstruct the original version of "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones from the new bargain basement priced SACD "single". (I left the new remixes for later, or maybe for the younger folk!)

Anyway, let me start by saying THIS IS A GREAT SURROUND MIX!!!!

It is very discrete, and for those who do not like having "stuff in the back", forget this one completly.

First off, played back the individual tracks into Vegas, then examined them in Sound Forge. Yes, they are "compressed", and the front channels even lit the "clip" led in Vegas. The fronts are real strong. In the fronts, you have a very discrete piano in the front right, with the drum kit and cymbols somewhere in the front soundfield. There is also Micks vocals in the two front channels, mixed in with the music.

In the center, however, is Mick "fully exposed"!! If you just listen to the center channel solo, all you will hear is Mick at the mike, clear as a bell, singing, and breathing, and getting into the tune. For a moment or two, he is joined in the channel by the solo lead guitar. That is it, that's all that is in the center!

The rears have a lot of discrete activity. They are the exclusive home to the "Whoo-Hoo's", along with the different percussion accents like the bongos and the shakers. Mick's voice is also in the rears, but delayed a bit and cranked down to keep the power in the fronts.

As a surround mix, this one gets my highest marks. This is how these classic tracks should be done. I am sure many "purests" will hate it, but not me!!

One odd thing, there must be some sort of hanky-panky going on with the CD, as when I copied the tracks to 6 mono files to DTS encode (for private use only - actually just for playback of the wav file on my PC), Sound Forge detected "embedded material" in the rears and the center & sub, but not in the fronts! Weird stuff.

So, all you surround fans - GO GET IT. IT IS CHEAP AND IT IS GREAT!!

I'm very excited about having this song in REAL aggressive surround, though not a huge Stones fan. Some songs are larger than life and this is one of them. Hope to find it in San Diego on my trip this weekend...

WhooHoo! Indeed...

I agree 100%. This is a great mix. I listened to all the remixes, and they are ok, but the original is outstanding! I really wish they would have done some 5.1 remixes with the SACD re-releases. I would also agree that M/C remixes like this (the original version) is the way it shold be done. And for $4.99 and incredible deal.

Bob Romano said:
I agree 100%. This is a great mix. I listened to all the remixes, and they are ok, but the original is outstanding! I really wish they would have done some 5.1 remixes with the SACD re-releases. I would also agree that M/C remixes like this (the original version) is the way it shold be done. And for $4.99 and incredible deal.

I agree that the original version of the song is the one to listen to on the 5.1 SACD Remix disc.

And don't forget the $3.00 off coupon for one of the Stones Remastered SACD Albums. Makes the net cost of the disc $1.99 if you catch it on sale this week at Tower.

JonUrban said:

I took a little break from checking out my newly received "QuadBob" restored Q8 player to deconstruct the original version of "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones from the new bargain basement priced SACD "single". (I left the new remixes for later, or maybe for the younger folk!)

Anyway, let me start by saying THIS IS A GREAT SURROUND MIX!!!!

It is very discrete, and for those who do not like having "stuff in the back", forget this one completly.

It is a good one - especially the 5.1 mix of the original version.

I did a write up on it for High Fidelity Review earlier in the week over at
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=11994239

So the word should be getting out there !

timbre4 said:
I'm very excited about having this song in REAL aggressive surround, though not a huge Stones fan. Some songs are larger than life and this is one of them. Hope to find it in San Diego on my trip this weekend...

WhooHoo! Indeed...

Should be easy to find. Here in Silicon Valley, I've spotted copies on sale for $4.99 at Best Buy and Tower Records. I'm told that Circuit City also has them on sale for $4.99.

Well I have not mentioned it because I haven't been able to find it yet. It sounds like it will be great though. I am been kind of immersed in Dylan this week as well.

JonUrban said:

I agree. Great suround mix of this classic!
Hmmm, I wonder if there is an underlying reason to the release of this one Stone's song in surround????
Like..maybe if the feedback/reviews are positive... they will release MORE!!!
Let us pray......

I agree with all the above.....it is a great surround mix SACD. The original version is the best. The Fatboy Slim and Full Phatt mixes are also great. However, the Neptunes mix, while the music is great, mix mix is NOT "agressive", the rears mirror the fronts with ambience mixed in. Thoses that don't like "agressive" mixes (I do) should listen to this one.

Oh, and by the way...this is not a "remix" single in the way the word "remix" is used today....meaning it's not a dance/disco remix. While it is dancable, it's not "dance music".

timw said:
Hmmm, I wonder if there is an underlying reason to the release of this one Stone's song in surround????
Let us pray......

Let's pray that they will release the entire Beggar's Banquet in surround along with Let It Bleed, Their Satanic Majestic's Request, etc.

timw said:
Let us pray......

If the sales of the Stones Remix single are good, more Stones in Surround is a possibility. After all, they did release one of the Sam Cooke SACDs (At The Copa) in 5.1 Surround.

Back