Yes Relayer coming in 5.1 by Steven Wilson

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a great mix of a classic album; everyone owes it to themselves to listen and form their own opinion.

From QQ deep space

EDIT: I would add that much of it was written before Patrick Moraz was asked to join on keyboards; early plans included thinking that a guitar synth would be employed at this time, but these were still in the embryonic stage. Therefore it is rather guitar-centric if that is to be the criteria. [Insanely so in certain passages that should remove all doubts]

Last edited:
Surprise in the mail today. The clarity and depth is good. You can hear how sections are pieced together, which is fine. I like it a lot so far. Listening to the bluray now on my 5.1 logitech Z906s which has limitations. I will give it a thorough spin on my Harman Kardon system tomorrow ( my birthday ).

Surprise in the mail today. The clarity and depth is good. You can hear how sections are pieced together, which is fine. I like it a lot so far. Listening to the bluray now on my 5.1 logitech Z906s which has limitations. I will give it a thorough spin on my Harman Kardon system tomorrow ( my birthday ).

Happy birthday!:banana:

Mine just arrived. Will give it a listen later, accompanied by a good glass of wine :banana:

UPDATE:

Another superb title to go with the others. Whilst Relayer isn't my favourite Yes album, this package is as definitive as they come and sounds superb.

My only issue is that my 'piece-of-s**t"' Blu Ray player software on my Mac refuses to play the disc. This is, almost certainly, 100% down to the fact it's a crap application but it's the only one of its kind for OS X. There are numerous clones with different front ends, but the code is the same. It had a little trouble with Drums & Wires, but it accepted the disc in the end, but it clearly doesn't like Relayer.

On my Pioneer BDP450, it plays, and sounds, like a dream :)

Looks like a hardware player is required for the upstairs studio now, instead. And due to my AV receiver, this will need to be one with analogue outs. I can't afford to upgrade both. Off to eBay I trot...

Last edited:

You should call Keith Emerson...his birthday is tomorrow as well...happy B-day:wave

From the main menu, if I chose the "audio setup" menu and select "LPCM Surround", the disc navigates to and plays ""LPCM Stereo". From that screen, it's easy enough to change to LPCM Surround, but is anyone else having this issue?

Other than that, so far this disc is wonderful!

Me too, but it's a wonderful mix. :)

Significant sections of the last two ("Close to the Edge" and "The Yes Album") were, imho, a mess. Pulling apart too many of the threads carefully placed in the complex sonic tapestry by Eddie Offord caused the tension to unravel at key moments.
The new surround mix of "Relayer" has no such problems. SWs done a superb job of cleaning up and positioning the key elements of a really complex multi-track, retaining all the timing, energy and feel of the original whilst using the surround field to reveal detail never heard before.

The battle in "Gates of Delirium" (which will forever be the Battle of Pelennor Fields in my mind) is just incredible! My only gripes are a number of sonic "pops and crackles" in said battle which are, I'm pretty sure, deliberate, but annoying (to me at least)- anyone else getting these? - and I think he's slightly overdone the crescendo in the final section of "to be over" but those points aside this is Yes in surround as I always wished it would be. :)

Same 5.1/2.0 selection issue, but so easy to jump to the correct one that its not an issue for me. Brief listen to the 5.1 mix and it sounds good, Chris Squires bass playing really comes to the fore on this album. Looking forward to listening in earnest.

Mine just arrived. Will give it a listen later, accompanied by a good glass of wine :banana:

UPDATE:

Another superb title to go with the others. Whilst Relayer isn't my favourite Yes album, this package is as definitive as they come and sounds superb.

My only issue is that my 'piece-of-s**t"' Blu Ray player software on my Mac refuses to play the disc. This is, almost certainly, 100% down to the fact it's a crap application but it's the only one of its kind for OS X. There are numerous clones with different front ends, but the code is the same. It had a little trouble with Drums & Wires, but it accepted the disc in the end, but it clearly doesn't like Relayer.

On my Pioneer BDP450, it plays, and sounds, like a dream :)

Looks like a hardware player is required for the upstairs studio now, instead. And due to my AV receiver, this will need to be one with analogue outs. I can't afford to upgrade both. Off to eBay I trot...

Maybe it is due to the updated copy protection? I couldn't play Gentle Giant's The Power & The Glory BR on my computer (PC on Windows 7) because of it! :howl Really annoying.

There's a note in front of the booklet about how SW could not replicate the 'battle sounds' in the middle section (sources are unknown, probably blended in during the original 2-track mixdown). So they're absent from the new mixes. No one's noticed this yet?

There's a note in front of the booklet about how SW could not replicate the 'battle sounds' in the middle section (sources are unknown, probably blended in during the original 2-track mixdown). So they're absent from the new mixes. No one's noticed this yet?

I read this, too. I've only had time to listen to the surround sound mix once, but I couldn't detect what was missing. It sounds fairly chaotic during the battle section of "Gates".

J. D.

Maybe it is due to the updated copy protection? I couldn't play Gentle Giant's The Power & The Glory BR on my computer (PC on Windows 7) because of it! :howl Really annoying.

I don't know if these are in any way related to the issues others have mentioned, but I've noticed:

1. I couldn't rip the first 5.1 track directly to FLAC via AudioMuxer. I assume it's because the interim WAV file was too big. I had no problem ripping to DTSHD files and FLACing those.

2. When I put the disc in an older Panasonic player to try to get the running times for each program (to match the playlists with the contents), it turns out to be authored in a way that made the player just display PLAY rather than elapsed time. The STATUS button would also not display anything time-related. I wound up dragging each M2TS file into Windows Media Player, scrolling to the end and noting the final displayed time.

Could well be. The MacGo Blu Ray player software seems to be the only Blu Ray player software for Mac. There are a number of other brands, but they all use the same code underneath the hood. Of course, it could be the drive, although I doubt it. It's a shame but I guess I've always known that the time would come for me to bite the bullet and install a standalone player in my studio upstairs. Maybe Steve Jobs was right and Blu Ray is indeed a 'bag of hurt'.

In other news, I can also confirm the mislabelled audio options in the audio setup menu.

I just finished listening to the 5.1 mix and it is a complete triumph. Utterly brilliant. And to think that this arrives on the heels of Drums & Wires. What an embarrassment of riches. Has there been a better year for surround enthusiasts than 2014 I ask you?

Back