BS&T's Child Is Father to the Man - Audio Fidelity 5.1 SACD (Oct 2014)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Next up in the 5.1 Multichannel SACD series from Audio Fidelity will be the first Blood, Sweat & Tears album Child Is Father to the Man.
It will include the unreleased 5.1 Surround Sound mix by Al Kooper that was originally done in 2002 for a planned Multichannel SACD release by Sony Music.

Having heard the Super Session 5.1 mix by Al Kooper, I'm looking forward to this one!

Planned release date: mid-October 2014.

BST First Album.jpg
Child Is Father to the Man - Blood, Sweat & Tears
Coming to 5.1 Multichannel SACD on Audio Fidelity

Since they always release two titles at a time, what is the other one?

The other SACD due out in Mid-October hasn't been named yet. Likely to be a Hybrid Stereo SACD at this point.

so we can't expect batches of two 5.1 SACDs from now on? Is there any news on any more repurposing of previously released discs that had issues (a la the DVD-A of Breezin')?

so we can't expect batches of two 5.1 SACDs from now on? Is there any news on any more repurposing of previously released discs that had issues (a la the DVD-A of Breezin')?

It will probably vary (one or two at a time). In this case, the BS&T 5.1 SACD is pretty far along and I think AF wanted to get it out there rather than without waiting on some of the other potential 5.1 SACD titles to pair it with.

I vote for bringing them out - as soon as they are ready - rather than waiting for a partner SACD release! :)

Wooooo Hoooo - ok pre order links Nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :banana:

Wooooo Hoooo - ok pre order links Nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :banana:

Check with the audiophile web stores. I'm sure the pre-order links will be up as soon as the official announcement comes and the stores are notified.

This one rocked my world back in the day - talking original release date for the vinyl - outrageous album cover - blew my 16 year old mind. Already a superfan of Blues Project - Al Kooper was bringin some serious NYC shit to the fore here. A formative release for me - taken in the context of the time, of course. Got to see BS&T with Procol Harum opening at the Commack Arena back in 1971 - Al Kooper had just been jetisonned from the band - David Clayton Thomas took over - still mind blowing. A 5.1 mix of this from the man himself is something I very much look forward to - Al deserves induction into the R&R HOF hands down. Anyone who doubts this should read his autobiography, "Backstage Passes and Backstabbing Bastards" - the man is a virtual "Zelig" of rock n roll. From writing Gary Lewis & the Playboys, "Who Wants To Buy This Diamond Ring," to starting the Blues Project to playing the iconic Hammond part in Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" to stage managing the first rock superconcert. "Monterrey" to the first superband album"SuperSessions." To discovering, arranging and producing the first few Lynard Skynard albums. I get the feeling that Al rubbed some influential people the wrong way along the way - but there is no mistaking his talent and moxey - a true rock n roll original!

It will probably vary (one or two at a time) . In this case, the BS&T 5.1 SACD is pretty far along and I think AF wanted to get it out there rather than without waiting on some of the other potential 5.1 SACD titles to pair it with.

I vote for bringing them out - as soon as they are ready - rather than waiting for a partner! :)

At last! A record label with a brain doing surround music! :p

I'll probably get this disc for the 5.1 aspect BUT my heart is with the self titled album...that content is just killer...listening to the SACD now..even though it's not surround it's a nice sounding disc...love those vocals..Spinning Wheel was an anthem of sorts for me "back in the day"...

I'll probably get this disc for the 5.1 aspect BUT my heart is with the self titled album...that content is just killer...listening to the SACD now..even though it's not surround it's a nice sounding disc...love those vocals..Spinning Wheel was an anthem of sorts for me "back in the day"...

The self-titled album is very good on both of the SACD editions - from Sony Music and Mobile Fidelity and the DSD Download on Super HiRez from the Sony Music DSD Tapes. A great album.

I'm happy to see a title that has not previously received official surround treatment in the past on the list for upcoming release. I'll definitely be buying this one.

If I might add some Al Kooper facts, observations, opinions, and correct a few others... AK left BS&T in '68, not long after Child was released. Clive Davis decided that AK would continue on Columbia as both a solo artist and staff producer. He produced not only his own albums, but Linda Tillery, Appaloosa and Don Ellis orchestra, among others. AK later produced Nils Lofgren, The Tubes, Rick Nelson (unreleased), Lenny White, David Essex, BB King and manny moore.

Super Session was the first and most successful of AK's post BS&T Columbia projects. The second BS&T album is their most popular, my own personal favorite, and in my 10 favorite albums. BS&T is a spectacular Q8/SQ release. Child was the first album of theirs I heard upon its release in early '68. It still ranks in my 100 favorites. As a former CBS employee, I've heard the unreleased Quad mix. IMHO, not that impressive. Still, I eagerly await the 5.1 SACD.

AK was already moderately successful in '59 as the 14 years old guitarist for the Royal Teens. They had a hit in '58 with Short Shorts, which AK did not appear on.

AK was not a founding member of Blues Project. He was discovered by the band during their failed Columbia Records audition. AK was in the Columbia studio recording with Dylan. Blues project signed to Verve, added AK, and recorded their first album. AK was NOT an organ player, but switched to that instrument upon being blown away by Mike Bloomfield's guitar playing on the Dylan session. AK left Blues Project after their second album.

AK then led/formed BS&T, which also featured ex-BP guitarist Steve Katz. Although Kooper had already left BS&T, his influence continued into the David Clayton Thomas era. On '68's BS&T (2), AK had a hand in arranging several tracks, including You've Made Me So Very Happy. BS&T live version w/AK on vocals, w/I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLenEHCRbsE On '71's BS&T4, they recorded AK's John the Baptist.

AK guested on Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde, Self Portrait, New Morning, Infidels, Empire Burlesque, and Under the Red Sky. AK appeared on stage on Dylan's '81 tour, and 30th Anniversary Concert and CD/DVD. He also appeared on albums by Rolling Stones: You Can't Always Get What You Want, B. B. King,Who, Jimi Hendrix Experience's Long Hot Summer Nights, Sam Bush, Judy Collins, Joan Baez, Gene Pitney, Alice Cooper, Cream, Phil Ochs, Peter, Paul & Mary, Moby Grape, Taj Mahal, Rita Coolidge, Brewer & Shipley, Bill Wyman, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Leo Sayer, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Tricia Yearwood, Joe Walsh, Joe Cocker, Tom Petty, and Lynyrd Skynyrd's first three albums.

He also discovered Skynyrd and produced their first three albums, which appeared on his Sounds of the South imprint, pressed by MCA. 1n '74, he sold Sounds of the South to MCA. AK later arranged and played on three tracks on George Harrison's SOMEWHERE IN ENGLAND album.

AK also scored the '70 Hal Ashby film The Landlord, which featured Beau Bridges. In his later years, he also taught at the Berklee School. AK was also West Coast A&R Director for PolyGram Records. AK also scored the Crime Story TV show and the mini-series The Drug Wars, as well as producing some of the soundtrack for the John Waters film "Cry Baby". Jay Z sampled AK on Soon You'll Understand.

There's so much more to know and hear about AK. I'll second the thought that he most assuredly belongs in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. IMHO, he is one of the most overlooked talents ever in rock, along with Bill Champlin and Laura Nyro, who was recently inducted AND was briefly lead vocalist in BS&T after AK left. She also dated BS&T bassist Jim Fielder. I'd love to hear tapes of LN/BS&T if any exist.

If I might add some Al Kooper facts, observations, opinions, and correct a few others... AK left BS&T in '68, not long after Child was released. Clive Davis decided that AK would continue on Columbia as both a solo artist and staff producer. He produced not only his own albums, but Linda Tillery, Appaloosa and Don Ellis orchestra, among others. AK later produced Nils Lofgren, The Tubes, Rick Nelson (unreleased), Lenny White, David Essex, BB King and manny moore.

Super Session was the first and most successful of AK's post BS&T Columbia projects. The second BS&T album is their most popular, my own personal favorite, and in my 10 favorite albums. BS&T is a spectacular Q8/SQ release. Child was the first album of theirs I heard upon its release in early '68. It still ranks in my 100 favorites. As a former CBS employee, I've heard the unreleased Quad mix. IMHO, not that impressive. Still, I eagerly await the 5.1 SACD.

AK was already moderately successful in '59 as the 14 years old guitarist for the Royal Teens. They had a hit in '58 with Short Shorts, which AK did not appear on.

AK was not a founding member of Blues Project. He was discovered by the band during their failed Columbia Records audition. AK was in the Columbia studio recording with Dylan. Blues project signed to Verve, added AK, and recorded their first album. AK was NOT an organ player, but switched to that instrument upon being blown away by Mike Bloomfield's guitar playing on the Dylan session. AK left Blues Project after their second album.

AK then led/formed BS&T, which also featured ex-BP guitarist Steve Katz. Although Kooper had already left BS&T, his influence continued into the David Clayton Thomas era. On '68's BS&T (2), AK had a hand in arranging several tracks, including You've Made Me So Very Happy. BS&T live version w/AK on vocals, w/I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLenEHCRbsE On '71's BS&T4, they recorded AK's John the Baptist.

AK guested on albums by Rolling Stones: You Can't Always Get What You Want, B. B. King, Dylan's Self Portrait, New Morning, Infidels, Empire Burlesque, Under the Red Sky (and '81 tour, and 30th anniv), Who, Jimi Hendrix Experience's Long Hot Summer Nights, Sam Bush, Judy Collins, Joan Baez, Gene Pitney, Alice Cooper, Cream, Phil Ochs, Peter, Paul & Mary, Moby Grape, Taj Mahal, Rita Coolidge, Brewer & Shipley, Bill Wyman, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Leo Sayer, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Tricia Yearwood, Joe Walsh, Joe Cocker, Tom Petty, and Lynyrd Skynyrd's first three albums.

He also discovered Skynyrd and produced their first three albums, which appeared on his Sounds of the South imprint, pressed by MCA. 1n '74, he sold Sounds of the South to MCA. AK later arranged and played on three tracks on George Harrison's SOMEWHERE IN ENGLAND album.

AK also scored the '70 Hal Ashby film The Landlord, which featured Beau Bridges. In his later years, he also taught at the Berklee School. AK also scored the Crime Story TV show and the mini-series The Drug Wars, as well as producing some of the soundtrack for the John Waters film "Cry Baby". Jay Z sampled AK on Soon You'll Understand.

There's so much more to know and hear about AK. I'll second the thought that he most assuredly belongs in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. IMHO, he is one of the most overlooked talents ever in rock, along with Bill Champlin and Laura Nyro, who was recently inducted AND was briefly lead vocalist in BS&T after AK left. She also dated BS&T bassist Jim Fielder. I'd love to hear tapes of LN/BS&T if any exist.

As always; thanks for the very interesting information. I must admit you hit a nerve when you mentioned the TV series Crime Story; loved that show. NBC had the brilliant idea to move the show to another night instead of right after Miami Vice and it ended up killing the show after only 2 seasons. The cost was another issue; it was costing 1.3million an episode. The same thing that tanked Miami Vice(cost per episode). Al took over the musical direction of the series from Todd Rundren. Of special note to me was the revised version of Runaway that Del Shannon provided for the show. I love that song and it's gained more meaning to me over the years; Del commited suicide 2 years after the Crime Story ended. Michael Mann was a genius in many respects but staying within any kind of reasonable budget was his Achilles heel.

AK became friends with Michael Mann, which is how he got the Crime Story gig.

A sidebar: if you like Runaway, there is a Traveling Wilburys version. It was an extra track on an EP single. Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty collaborated with Del Shannon on his 1991 album Rock On!. From this, rumors began that Del Shannon was to have been Roy Orbison's replacement in the Wilburys. Perhaps he would have been a Sidebury, like Jim Keltner, aka Buster Sidebury. It was also included in the '07 Wilburys Collection a few years back. An alternate take of Wilburys' Runaway w/Jeff Lynne on vocals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0cfhcpLV7c
The Wilburys name came from Lynne & Harrison's desire to correct flaws during recording of Harrison's Cloud Nine album, "We'll BURY them in the mix!"

Another AK factoid:
In 2007, Kooper was inducted into the Rock n Roll Walk of Fame in Hollywood on Sunset Boulevard. Later in the year he was named as recipient of the Les Paul Award for his life's work and was presented with the award in New York City by Les Paul, himself. (from http://www.alkooper.com)

I will definitely order Child is the Father and I'm awaiting Supersession in Sept.
I'd be interested in I Stand Alone in surround as well.
It would be cool if someone who knows him invited Al to QQ.

Back