BS&T's Child Is Father to the Man - Audio Fidelity 5.1 SACD (Oct 2014)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Stand Alone! Another of Al's classics! I have two copies of it: a Japan CD and 1st pressing LP. Both are autographed, as are my remastered Super Session and CBS Mastersound Gold CD of Child.

Assuming that we could interest AK in QQ, it might be prohibitive in that he's been legally (2/3) blind for years.

He posted at stevehoffman.tv (under the username 'Alvis') as recently as a year ago so I assume his condition isn't that far gone.

He posted at stevehoffman.tv (under the username 'Alvis') as recently as a year ago so I assume his condition isn't that far gone.

I'll check with the Audio Fidelity folks and see if he might be interested in a Guest Thread.

I also have a few more invites out. So I'm hoping to have another Guest Thread soon.

The self-titled album is very good on both of the SACD editions - from Sony Music and Mobile Fidelity and the DSD Download on Super HiRez from the Sony Music DSD Tapes. A great album.

i'm looking into getting this...so..you're saying both Sony and MF are equal in sound quality? price on Sony is half (actually a$100 bucks cheaper!)...of course i prefer that deal!

i'm looking into getting this...so..you're saying both Sony and MF are equal in sound quality? price on Sony is half (actually a$100 bucks cheaper!)...of course i prefer that deal!

They're very close sound wise on SACD as I recall.

Preorders for the 5.1 Multichannel SACD edition of Child Is Father to the Man by Blood, Sweat & Tears from Audio Fidelity are now being taken by Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc & Music Direct.
Availability date is October 21, 2014.

Child Is Father to the Man - 51 Cover.jpg
Child Is Father to the Man - Blood, Sweat & Tears (Hybrid Multichannel SACD, Audio Fidelity AFZ5 195)
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...Is_Father_To_The_Man-Hybrid_Multichannel_SACD
http://www.elusivedisc.com/Blood-Sw...ed-Limited-Edition-SACD/productinfo/AFSAM195/
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-249758...ered-lmtd-ed-hybrid-multichannel-51-sacd.aspx

Is there any way possible to send Mr. Kooper an email to a) let him know how much we appreciate this and b) to ask him about the aborted/unfinished Quad attempt from the Robin Collection? He seems like the kind of guy that would have an interesting story or two to tell.

His email address can be found easily, and he has been known to respond to emails. I did ask him about the Robin reel, and the I Stand Alone SQ track, his response was:

"needless to say, i dont know ANYTHING about what you mentioned. Ad it sounds like I wouldnt wanna hear it either. I have always mixed my own stuff myself and despise when other people touch it."

His email address can be found easily, and he has been known to respond to emails. I did ask him about the Robin reel, and the I Stand Alone SQ track, his response was:

"needless to say, i dont know ANYTHING about what you mentioned. Ad it sounds like I wouldnt wanna hear it either. I have always mixed my own stuff myself and despise when other people touch it."

Artists view albums as their music and are leery when others begin changing it.

That is why there is a review process where artists, their management and producers, etc. are given the opportunity to hear the album as it is mixed, mastered and test pressings are made before release. It also explains the sometimes lengthy timeline between signing a license agreement for an album reissue and when it hits the stores for purchase.

During the Quad era, many of the released albums were mixed into Multichannel by record label engineers and A&R staff vs. the artist and their creative team. It helps explain why some artists are unfamiliar with or are uninterested in those mixes.

there is a stereo copy of I stand alone on his "Rare & Well Done - The Greatest & Most Obscure Recordings" that is not too different to the quad mix on the sampler...I haven't tested it for sq...i'd be suprised if it was..

I predict that this title will the the one that really gets the AF 5.1 SACD program off the ground and it will receive some excellent press and reviews. It's great that AF was able to free this from the bowels of Sony and get it out to the public so Al Kooper can get the recognition he deserves for his work(s) and we can all enjoy it as he meant it to be heard.

Back