Quad 101 with a Sansui slant!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahhhh, my night time reading....again - i often wonder where i get some of the info i spit out every now and again - its these types of write-ups that inform in a way that even i can understand.:worthygo Sansui - or go broke trying.

w.a.reid:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin

I'm new to this forum just joined today after picking up a sanyo DC 8500K for 15 bucks at a deceased estate. I remember the quad wars well and the first post was very informative. To you gurus is it worth trying to get this unit to play quad ? I have a few SQ records. The needle is busted on this unit and the belt has dissolved into a goo I'm still trying to get off my hands. A few scratchy pots but other wise the unit is in mint condition and works well.

From what I gather the Sansui is the unit to get but it is worth tinkering with this Sanyo model ? It has SQ and CD4 and the dodgy old matrix

Ok, my question would be... where does my Sansui rate (QRX-6500). Is it considered middle of the line? still better than pioneer, technics, marantz, etc... at synthesizing quad from stereo recordings as well as QS and SQ encoded material?

my guess is middle of the line (better than the 3000, 4500, and 5500) but not as good as the X001, 777 or 999.

please fill me in on this information.

I think the 8500K would be worth tinkering with. If you can, give the pots a dose of De-Oxit or equivalent and then put on a SQ record and see how it sounds. In the final analysis, it is what it sounds like to you that matters most. If you like the sound, then go with it.

MTGC (Michael)

Hi MTGC

Okay thanks , I'm just about to rip the amp out now . I have an electronics background, the flip switches are really dirty plus the selection switches for 4 channell. I'm just running the tuner now until I can get a new belt. I can get a matrix 4 channel out the rear speakers but its crackly and very low level. I hope its simple as cleaning.

Do you know where to buy cartridges and stylus's ? The one that was in it looks like a replacement , no name or brand except 'DC " wirtten on it. the needle is bent over so its no good. I stuck a spare stereo cartridge in I had and it works just by spinning the turntable manually so thats okay. Its a fairly crapp turntable, fully automatic, not like my Denon DD 57-DPL I got out of a radio station years ago which I cannabilised the cartridge out of. QP

I have used several Ed Saunders cartridges and/or styli, both his CD-4 units and his stereo carts/styli. Some Forum members have reported they were not pleased with Mr. Saunders products, but I have had no problems and I have bought several from him so far. You can find him on EBay by searching for Ed Saunders in the sellers arena.

Good luck,

MTGC
Michael

Disclord, since you brought up the Sony SQE2000 maybe you (or someone on the board) can answer a couple of questions about that unit.

First, on the left rear of the unit there is a knob with four settings for the SQ Mode : Normal, INT, F.O. and B.O.
Do you know what these mean?

That's an encoder, not a decoder.

Normal - Encodes the 4-corners version of SQ. Allows panning across the front and across the back, but encodes the sides and diagonal splits wrong.

Interior - Removes the all pass phase shift from the front channels, randomizing the phase relations of front and back. Encodes panning across the front and across the back, but does odd encodings of the other pairs that vary with frequency.

F. O. = Forward-Oriented. Encodes pannings correctly for across the front, left side, and right side. Does a good, but not optimal, job on the diagonal splits. Encodes pannings across the back so they appear up front. Needed for FM radio broadcasts so back center does not disappear in mono play.

B. O. = Backward-Oriented. Encodes pannings correctly for across the back, left side, and right side. Does a good, but not optimal, job on the diagonal splits. Encodes pannings across the front so they appear in back.

Here it is, 2012, I am still alive (didn't think I would survive this long decades ago) and the original post is still being poked at and read in Feb 2012.

That's a fairly sticky post.

Long may it exist!!!!!!!!

may long live Sansui - happy days to all - its a new year - and i am alive....and like our Blue Collar Scholar - i meant to be dead a long time ago - never thought or planned on seeing 40 - w.a.r.

Here it is, 2012, I am still alive (didn't think I would survive this long decades ago) and the original post is still being poked at and read in Feb 2012.

That's a fairly sticky post.

Long may it exist!!!!!!!!

Bump again!

Well 2013 now! Yes, I just dug up my Sansui QRX2000 and turntable. Will do some Electronic repairs and upgrades. The turntable needle is very questionable. So I wonder what stylus can I replace it with. I still have a few QS vinyls around. Will have to dig them out tho.

I bought this HiFi when I was a young lad, at the time that was the best technology I could afford here locally, served me well for many years. I just could never get rid of it so I hope I can fully restore it

Thanks for a well written info thread

Anyone know what happened to w.a.reid? The above post was his most recent and it's 5 months old.

J. D.

On 12-15-2011, 09:31 PM he posted:

"i appreciate most everyone here - i consider you friends - but that is a mental disorder i have - histrionics - i am vulnerable - and those who pick up on that ...eat me alive. so sonically - i am clearing house - and starting over - and when i post my 10 million word blog on here about my tech stories - you will realize why i am so down.

william anthony reid "

I miss his enthusiasm and his humor.

Hi GREAT GREAT POST! Still left me a little confused. Do I throw away my Sansui 5500A, Notice A lol. To buy a Sansui 7001? Please tell me I'm not going to find a fantastic difference if I do.

Sorry about repeat but while I'm here I too would like to find a reasonable CD-4 cartridge. Any still being produced?

Anyone know what happened to w.a.reid? The above post was his most recent and it's 5 months old.

J. D.

hello - im here - i am doing bozak speakers and cant quad them due to size - but i do keep up with the quad reading - hello to all.

w.a.reid

Hi William! Glad you're still around!

EDIT: And William, I have to say that 4 Bozaks would be extra, extra, extra, extra cool! :D

Doug

Back