XTC Drums and Wires in 5.1 cd/dvd-a and cd/bd-a sets

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert van Diggele

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
As mentioned in the general XTC in 5.1 thread, Drums and Wires is about to be released. That deserves a thread on it's own.

image.jpg

Burning Shed has pre-order pages,

Cd/bd-a https://www.burningshed.com/store/ape/product/351/6070/

Steven Wilson produced the mixes with the input of founder band member Andy Partridge and the full approval of the band.

This cd/blu-ray edition is presented in special packaging with an expanded booklet and sleeve-notes by Andy Partridge, Colin Moulding and Dave Gregory.

Help with adjusting your player settings (if necessary) can be found here: http://www.opusproductions.com/disc/setup.html

* CD features a stereo mix by Steven Wilson plus 6 additional singles and non-album tracks .

* Blu-ray (Region 0, NTSC) features:

Presented in 24bit/96khz LPCM Audio:

- Album mixed in 5.1 Surround.
- Steven Wilson stereo mix and original album mix in High Resolution stereo.

Blu-Ray exclusive material includes:

Numerous additional stereo* and 5.1 tracks, new stereo album instrumental mixes, 5 demo sessions and promo films for the singles Making Plans for Nigel and Life Begins At The Hop.

* including the two tracks from the single that accompanied early copies of the vinyl album, two extended mixes of songs and the DJM mixes (songs earmarked as potential single releases).

And the cd/dvd-a https://www.burningshed.com/store/ape/product/351/6069/

This cd/dvd-a set is presented in special packaging with an expanded booklet and sleeve-notes by Andy Partridge, Colin Moulding and Dave Gregory.

Help with adjusting your player settings (if necessary) can be found here: http://www.opusproductions.com/disc/setup.html

---------

* CD features a stereo mix by Steven Wilson plus 6 additional singles and non-album tracks .

* DVDA features:

- a 5.1 LPCM Surround mix in 24bit/96khz mixed from the original multi-track tapes.
- Steven Wilson stereo mix, original album mix and 7 bonus stereo tracks*, all in High Resolution stereo.

* including the two tracks from the single that accompanied early copies of the vinyl album, two extended mixes of songs and the DJM mixes (songs earmarked as potential single releases).

From what we know now, it looks like it will be packed with loads of intesting stuff, just like the Nonsuch release.

The full tracklist will be announced later.

Oh Robert U devil................Snood just ordered :banana:

Some more very important info has come out about this release via Headphone Dust:

Here's the info on the CD bonus tracks:
The CD features the new stereo album mix and 6 bonus tracks – Chain of Command, Limelight, Life Begins at the Hop, Homo Safari, Ten Feet Tall (electric version), and Wait ‘Til Your Boat Goes Down.

Here's the info on 11 tracks remixed in 5.1 surround on the Blu-Ray (only):

11 bonus tracks remixed into stereo and 5.1:

1. Life Begins at the Hop*
2. Homo Safari

(A+B side to Life Begins at the Hop single, UK release April 1979)

3. Chain of Command
4. Limelight

(A+B side to free single included with initial pressing of Drums and Wires, UK release August 1979)

5. Bushman President
6. Pulsing Pulsing

(B-sides to Making Plans for Nigel single, UK release Sep 1979)

7. Wait Til Your Boat Goes Down
8. Ten Feet Tall – electric version

(A+B side to Wait Til Your Boat Goes Down single, UK release March 1980)

9. Officer Blue

(Drums and Wires out-take – B-side to Respectable Street single, UK release March 1981)

10. Over Rusty Water

(Drums and Wires out-take – B-side to No Thugs in Our House single, UK release May 1982)

11. Sleepyheads

(Drums and Wires out-take, first released on Coat of Many Cupboards box set, UK release 2002)

Finally, for those hoping for a true 5.1 mix of "Life Begins at the Hop", read and weep:

* (Life Begins at the Hop is the original stereo master due to multitrack tapes being unavailable, the 5.1 version is a Penteo upmix)

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/headphonedust/xtc-drums-and-wires-cdblu-ray/
http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/headphonedust/xtc-drums-and-wires-cddvda/

Not a great loss considering only one track up-mixed and not from the original album.
Given how well Virgin/EMI apparently have kept the XTC tapes this is a good return.

* (Life Begins at the Hop is the original stereo master due to multitrack tapes being unavailable, the 5.1 version is a Penteo upmix)

That really is a shame, such a great song and arrangement. But we really can't complain, can we? This looks to be an amazing release!!

Full description from Headphone Dust with the contents of the blu ray:

Blu-Ray contents:

- a 5.1 Mix of the album in 96/24 LPCM.
- original mix, and a new album mix by Steven Wilson, both in high resolution 96/24 LPCM stereo
- new stereo and 5.1* mixes of 11 additional tracks from the period, originally released as singles or bonus tracks
- exclusive instrumental versions of all new mixes in 96/24 LPCM stereo
- exclusive Andy Partridge home demos and Colin Moulding work tapes for songs written for the album
- 5 separate sessions marking the complete evolution of the album & associated recordings.
- promo videos for Making Plans for Nigel and Life Begins at the Hop
- a virtual boxed set on a single Blu-Ray disc!
11 bonus tracks remixed into stereo and 5.1:
1. Life Begins at the Hop*
2. Homo Safari
(A+B side to Life Begins at the Hop single, UK release April 1979)
3. Chain of Command
4. Limelight
(A+B side to free single included with initial pressing of Drums and Wires, UK release August 1979)
5. Bushman President
6. Pulsing Pulsing
(B-sides to Making Plans for Nigel single, UK release Sep 1979)
7. Wait Til Your Boat Goes Down
8. Ten Feet Tall – electric version
(A+B side to Wait Til Your Boat Goes Down single, UK release March 1980)
9. Officer Blue
(Drums and Wires out-take – B-side to Respectable Street single, UK release March 1981)
10. Over Rusty Water
(Drums and Wires out-take – B-side to No Thugs in Our House single, UK release May 1982)
11. Sleepyheads

So much stuff on it, amazing. And that only for £16.00 plus postage. Other band would have made this a multi disc box set and charge £100.00+ for it.

Thanks to those involved for putting this all together.

That really is a shame, such a great song and arrangement. But we really can't complain, can we? This looks to be an amazing release!!

Not a complaint at all! Just pointing out the fact.
As a matter of fact, I think Andy P mentioned that the song's tapes were missing on Twitter, so I really wasn't expecting a 5.1 mix of that track, and I certainly wasn't expecting an additional 10 songs with real surround mixes.
This IS the release to beat, better than "The Yes Album" and "The Power and the Glory", and that's really saying something!! :)

Not a complaint at all! Just pointing out the fact.
As a matter of fact, I think Andy P mentioned that the song's tapes were missing on Twitter, so I really wasn't expecting a 5.1 mix of that track, and I certainly wasn't expecting an additional 10 songs with real surround mixes.
This IS the release to beat, better than "The Yes Album" and "The Power and the Glory", and that's really saying something!! :)

Absolutely! Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were complaining only that we as a group have nothing to complain about given the quantity of riches on this one.

According to Super Deluxe Edition.com, here's how the track list for the Blu-Ray is broken down:

New stereo mix = 12 tracks
Original stereo mix = 12 tracks
Instrumental mixes = 12 tracks
5.1 mix = 12 tracks
(the album track listing for above)

Bonus tracks new stereo mixes = 11 tracks
Bonus tracks 5.1 = 11 tracks
(detailed in Post #3)

Demo session 1 = 6 tracks
Demo session 2 = 4 tracks
Demo session 3 = 4 tracks
Demo session 4 = 4 tracks
Rehearsal tape = 20 tracks

DJM re-recordings = 3 tracks ("Helicopter", "When You're Near Me I Have Difficulty", "Real by Reel")

Various original alternate mixes = 4 tracks ("Chain of Command", "Limelight", "Life Begins at the Hop" [Long Version], "That Is The Way" [Long Version]) (Detailed here)

Promo videos = 2 track ("Life Begins at the Hop", "Making Plans for Nigel")

Last edited:
According to Super Deluxe Edition.com, here's how the track list for the Blu-Ray is broken down:

New stereo mix = 12 tracks
Original stereo mix = 12 tracks
Instrumental mixes = 12 tracks
5.1 mix = 12 tracks
(the album track listing for above)

Bonus tracks new stereo mixes = 11 tracks
Bonus tracks 5.1 = 11 tracks
(detailed in Post #3)

Demo session 1 = 6 tracks
Demo session 2 = 4 tracks
Demo session 3 = 4 tracks
Demo session 4 = 4 tracks
Rehearsal tape = 20 tracks

DJM re-recordings = 3 tracks ("Helicopter", "When You're Near Me I Have Difficulty", "Real by Reel")

Various original alternate mixes = 4 tracks ("Chain of Command", "Limelight", "Life Begins at the Hop" [Alternate Version], "That Is The Way" [Alternate Version]) (Detailed here)

Promo videos = 2 track ("Life Begins at the Hop", "Making Plans for Nigel")

Close but not quite spot-on.
Demo Session One - AKA "The Saucy Plate Session" is actually only 5 tracks long - the 6th track is a very early version of "Hop" from an "unknown session" so rather than create a whole playlist for just one track, we added it to the end of the Saucy Plate session as it is very similar - when it gets played though it is marked clearly as "unknown session".
Also the original extras - both "Hop" and "Way" are "long versions" as opposed to alt mixes and Hop is missing some guitar parts.

Steve & Andy have done a great job here and this is an outstanding release.

Steve & Andy have done a great job here and this is an outstanding release.

With all of its content, it has become my most anticipated 5.1 release of the year!
(Unless there are some stellar things on the "Relayer" release that are not yet known) :)

Was going to order anyway, the signed Andy postcards through Burning Shed are an absolute bonus. This is going to be a brilliant release, putting most others to shame for value, around $30 AU including postage to Australia! Seconder for thanks to Ape and SW. This will be essential.

So glad both the DVD-A and Blu-Ray releases are in the Digipack cases like the "Nonsuch" and King Crimson releases.
I HATE the mini-LP packaging for the Yes Blu-Rays, which is part of the reason why I buy both the DVD-A and Blu-Ray versions. :)

I bought this album back in 1979 and as I was a early adopter of cd's I started rebuying cd's of many of my lp's but for some reason I did not rebuy this title but that is about to change soon.
This is going to be one example where waiting till now will payoff in a big way as had a relook at all the bonus tracks that the bluray has and wow is it ever a packed disk with so many different songs to listen to, I am still blown away that there are 11 bonus songs in 5.1 as well as all the demo's etc., just amazing. I have not listened to these songs in over 30 years so this is really going to be fun when my cd\dvda and cd\bluray arrive. I think I will give the cd's to my kids and dvda goes straight to the car and bluray will get good use in home system.
Some good listening times ahead for all of us, WOOHOO..........

peter

So glad both the DVD-A and Blu-Ray releases are in the Digipack cases like the "Nonsuch" and King Crimson releases.
I HATE the mini-LP packaging for the Yes Blu-Rays, which is part of the reason why I buy both the DVD-A and Blu-Ray versions. :)
Yes, the mini-LP is a total waste. Pulling/shaking my treasured surround discs just to get them out of the package so that I can play them is not an option for me. I always transfer those discs to a CD case. The digipaks you mention are fine but I prefer the type that Power and Glory came in because there is also a place for the booklet.

Back