ALL ABOUT MUSIC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lindsey Buckingham is 65 today...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!..it's nice that his birthday fell at the beginning of the 2014 Fleetwood Mac tour....you can celebrate his birthday tonight in Chicago with him and the band.....and it looks like the tour got off to a good start according to this ...... scroll down and check out the tour dates..HERE

I wonder if we will finally get a blu ray from this tour...I have given up hope that The Dance would ever be converted to blu ray...can these baby boomers put out a quality show worthy of a blu ray concert...sounds like Christine(71) can still get it done on vocals...and Lindsey(65) has the energy...and Mick(67) can still do his thing..and the almost invisible John McVie(68) is still very capable...the wild card is Stevie(66) and her vocals...she has lost quite a bit...but like most pros she knows her limitations and uses the back up singers to aid her...just the tour itself might present a problem with endurance for some...Christine has been away from the music scene for 16 years....I hope they do a good job on this tour and protect their legacy...some bands that age just don't know when to call it quits...I hope it's not the case here because THE MAC is very special to me...

A little flashback to July 13th, 1978-Top 10 singles

1. Andy Gibb-Shadow Dancing
2. Gerry Rafferty-Baker Street
3. Abba-Take A Chance On Me
4. The O'Jays- Use To Be My Girl
5. Bob Seiger and the Silver Bullet Band-Still The Same
6. The Rolling Stones-Miss You
7. Heatwave-The Groove Line
8. Peter Brown With Betty Wright-Dance With Me
9. Bonnie Tyler-It's A Heartache
10 Donna Summer-Last Dance

A little flashback to July 13th, 1978-Top 10 singles

1. Andy Gibb-Shadow Dancing
2. Gerry Rafferty-Baker Street
3. Abba-Take A Chance On Me
4. The O'Jays- Use To Be My Girl
5. Bob Seiger and the Silver Bullet Band-Still The Same
6. The Rolling Stones-Miss You
7. Heatwave-The Groove Line
8. Peter Brown With Betty Wright-Dance With Me
9. Bonnie Tyler-It's A Heartache
10 Donna Summer-Last Dance

Of course it's October, summer done come and gone. As for the top ten, not the worst '78 had to offer, probably not quite the best, either. Rafferty's hit was long overdue (though sped up for US release, as was the CITY TO CITY album). Most of the rest I can easily live without, though ABBA's was catchy and Heatwave's a good post-Sly, pre-Prince dance record. Tyler's Rod Stewart nod was fair enough, though took her some years to get another big hit.

Let's go back to 10/14/72, not sure things were much better:

1. Ben--Michael Jackson
2. Use Me--Bill Withers
3. Everybody Plays the Fool--Main Ingredient
4. Burning Love--Elvis Presley
5. Go All the Way--Raspberries
6. Baby Don't Get Hooked on Me--Mac Davis
7. My-Ding-A-Ling--Chuck Berry
8. Nights in White Satin--Moody Blues
9. Back Stabbers--O'Jays
10. Popcorn--Hot Butter

A few good ones there--and belatedly, the Moodies had an unexpected hit five years after the original release of "Nights" (yes, touring does pay off!) and "Popcorn" was an appealing novelty (and issued in quad, as were several others). "Ben" was rancid, though, and "Ding-A-Ling" has to be the worst single thing Berry ever recorded. "Go All the Way" is my fave on the list. And as the first million-selling single for Gamble & Huff's Philadelphia International, it set the scene and sound for many more to come over the next several years.

ED :)

Of course it's October, summer done come and gone. As for the top ten, not the worst '78 had to offer, probably not quite the best, either. Rafferty's hit was long overdue (though sped up for US release, as was the CITY TO CITY album). Most of the rest I can easily live without, though ABBA's was catchy and Heatwave's a good post-Sly, pre-Prince dance record. Tyler's Rod Stewart nod was fair enough, though took her some years to get another big hit.

Let's go back to 10/14/72, not sure things were much better:

1. Ben--Michael Jackson
2. Use Me--Bill Withers
3. Everybody Plays the Fool--Main Ingredient
4. Burning Love--Elvis Presley
5. Go All the Way--Raspberries
6. Baby Don't Get Hooked on Me--Mac Davis
7. My-Ding-A-Ling--Chuck Berry
8. Nights in White Satin--Moody Blues
9. Back Stabbers--O'Jays
10. Popcorn--Hot Butter

A few good ones there--and belatedly, the Moodies had an unexpected hit five years after the original release of "Nights" (yes, touring does pay off!) and "Popcorn" was an appealing novelty (and issued in quad, as were several others). "Ben" was rancid, though, and "Ding-A-Ling" has to be the worst single thing Berry ever recorded. "Go All the Way" is my fave on the list. And as the first million-selling single for Gamble & Huff's Philadelphia International, it set the scene and sound for many more to come over the next several years.

ED :)
Snood looooooooooves Anything Eric Carmen & the Raspberries :banana:

rarely hear the Dogs anymore... so i felt the need to post this great old tune!

[video=youtube;dm6qw_yeo6o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm6qw_yeo6o&sns=em[/video]

Yeah, my friends and I weren't really into Three Dog Night back then. We were more Led Zeppelinish and other harder stuff. We thought TDN was more for the Thespian crowd.

I like them now, however. Especially that song, Shambala, One, and Liar.

I saw them much later at an outdoor event and they had a great show.

Doug

too funny...my first concert also..1973..i was 12! what i remember most was one of the huge tower lights fell over on the stage...all were scrambling but the drummer kept right on playing! wish i could recall more cuz T.Rex played first. didn't much care for TDN after that..got more into the harder rock stuff also Zep..Steppenwolf..Doors..etc. but love some of their music now.

Coincidentally, Joe loaded my CD of TDN's It Ain't Easy into my iMac yesterday. The album was released when I was in High School and the year BEFORE he was born! :yikes

Three Dog Night - It Ain't Easy.jpg

The album features his favorite TDN song: Mama Told Me. It also features a lesser-known single of theirs: Out in the Country. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ1tF6LgB40

It was written by Paul Williams. IMHO, this is one of TDN's best tracks, BUT I actually prefer Williams' version of Out in the Country: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT5-_Vyyz9w

from his '72 album Life Goes On.
513s2Ybe3WL.jpg

The album also features I Won't Last a Day Without You: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJN053yszNc&index=6&list=PL0OHlcwPH-XfCzxRuX2Ly46KU_fZyNAqR

Life Goes On, the title track is great, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey4x6ZMg3C8&list=PL0OHlcwPH-XfCzxRuX2Ly46KU_fZyNAqR&index=5

I always loved Out In The Country; It Ain't Easy was one of my first Columbia House 8 track tapes. Thanks, I'll check out the authors version.

From QQ deep space

If you like Shambala, check out the version by the late, great B.W. (Buckwheat) Stevenson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdeXzU-nGSM It was released on his My Maria album in '73. It was released a week before TDN's version.

While we're on the subject of TDN's covers, here's the original version of Eli's Comin' from '68 by the author, Laura Nyro. IMHO, it smokes TDN's version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfW41eKUkKE
It's from her SPECTACULAR Eli & the Thirteenth Confession album. There were two different unreleased Quad mixes of this album. I saw her twice live at the Vic in Chicago in the late '80's. Jimmy Vivino was the guitarist in her band at both shows.

Although I listened to Zep and Floyd before they were popular :yikes Laura Nyro was more typical of what I listened to in high school. I still listen to Floyd, Zep and Nyro.

Yeah, my friends and I weren't really into Three Dog Night back then...I like them now, however. Especially that song, Shambala, One, and Liar...

Laura Nyro, so wonderful and lost to us so early. :(

She died at the same age (49) as her mother from the same cancer.

Doug

The month of November has a lot of interesting surround releases and it also celebrates the birthdays of some very talented artists...tomorrow Keith Emerson will be 70....on Monday forum favorite and surround guru Steven Wilson will be 47...and Wednesday Bryan Adams hits 55....Thursday rolls around and Glenn Fry will be 66 years young...and since I mentioned Keith Emerson earlier it's only fair to recognize Greg Lake on Monday the 10th when he turns 67...

There is a lot to be thankful for in the month of November besides Black Friday and Thanksgiving...

I happen to be surfing amazon(which I do multiple times a day) and stumbled on one of my favorite blu ray concerts at a great price HERE for under $10 you can have this one(including shipping costs)...if you don't have this one you are missing out on some good music in a great setting...

I saw a post by Ed Bishop on the Al Green poll that caught my eye HERE...I had considered buying this disc a year ago and the prices were over a $100 at that time and there was a scarcity of discs to be purchased....Ed's post sums up what I had thought about this disc...that there were some sonic shortcomings on the disc BUT he nailed the most important aspect...when Al was at his peak he was one of the best around...so I grabbed a new copy...the song "let's stay together" is one of my all time favorites...trying to respect Jon's wishes about not posting these type of posts on poll threads I put it here...I also would suggest others use this "swiss army knife" thread to post their non-ratings thoughts on titles instead of on the poll threads...

And thanks to Lizard King for providing THIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back