THRAKBOX - New King Crimson boxset?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

César

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Just spotted this while checking the track list for the new King Crimson release : The Elements 2014 (on previous sale on burningshed). One of the songs that be released reads: " 6) Sex, Sleep, Eat, Drink, Dream (rec session) (27/01/1994, Bath) - From THRAK recording sessions and on forthcoming release, THRAKBOXX". It seems that apart from Jakko's 5.1 we will get a bunch of other goodies. Wonder if this will be a mastodontic box a la Starless.
By the way, in this same Elements release there's a new stereo mix by SW for Sleepless (from TOAPP). Will we have to wait until 2015 for this one too?

For technical reasons the King Crimson title on the newsletter won't be available until Wednesday 10th September (UK time). Apologies for any confusion.
It will not be a big box.

The Elements Of King Crimson is a special limited edition 'tour box' created exclusively for sale at King Crimson's concerts and via the band's official online outlets.

The set contains a 24 page tour booklet and two CDs containing extracts, elements from studio recordings, alternate takes, live tracks, rehearsals and finished recordings from 1969 - 2014 (much of it previously unreleased on CD).

It was in the Burning Shed newsletter, but release date postponed, see first quote.

Elements of KC.jpg

Just spotted this while checking the track list for the new King Crimson release : The Elements 2014 (on previous sale on burningshed). One of the songs that be released reads: " 6) Sex, Sleep, Eat, Drink, Dream (rec session) (27/01/1994, Bath) - From THRAK recording sessions and on forthcoming release, THRAKBOXX". It seems that apart from Jakko's 5.1 we will get a bunch of other goodies. Wonder if this will be a mastodontic box a la Starless. By the way, in this same Elements release there's a new stereo mix by SW for Sleepless (from TOAPP). Will we have to wait until 2015 for this one too?

Can you post a link to the track listing?
Or post the track listing on here?

The tracklisting is not visible on the Burning Shed website at the moment, but I still had the page open on my tablet. This is the tracklist of the Elements Of King Crimson box set, not the Trackboxx.

CD I:

1) Wind Extract (1969, London) (From ITCOCK recording sessions).
2) I Talk To The Wind (23/07/1969, London) From ITCOCK recording sessions.
3) Cadence and Cascade (03/02/1970, London, Greg Lake Vocals) From Poseidon recording sessions.
4) Cirkus (guitar extract) (11/09/1970, London) From Lizard recording sessions. Previously unreleased on CD.
5) Cirkus (10/08/1971, Live at the Marquee) From forthcoming release, Collectable KC Vol. 7.
6) Hoodoo (extract) (May, 2014, Elstree band rehearsals ) - Previously unreleased.
7) Sailor's Tale (08/09/1971, London) From Islands recording sessions. Previously unreleased on CD.
8) The Talking Drum (October, 1973, London) From LTIA recording sessions. SW alt mix.
9) LTIA (extract) (May, 2014, Elstree band rehearsals) - Previously unreleased.
10) LTIA (extract) [David/Jamie] (16/01/1973, London). From LTIA recording sessions.
11) Fracture (23/11/1973, Amsterdam). SW 2014 mix.
12) Fallen Angel (extract) [RF harmonics] (08/07/1974, London From Red studio sessions - Previously unreleased on CD.
13) Fallen Angel (July, 1974, London). From Red studio sessions.
14) 21 Century Schizoid Man (30/06/1974, Providence. From USA live recordings.
15) Starless (extract) [Mark] (08/07/1974, London). From Red studio sessions. Previously unreleased on CD

CD 2:

1) Discipline (1981, London). From Discipline recording sessions. Alt take.
2) Three Headed Doom (part 1) (May, 2014, Elstree band rehearsals) - Previously unreleased.
3) Manhattan (Neurotica) (23/11/1981, Live at The Roxy, LA). From forthcoming release, Beat 40th anniversary CD/DVD-A.
4) Neal and Jack and Me (extract) (17/03/1982, London). From Beat recording sessions. Previously unreleased on CD.
5) Sleepless (Bearsville) From TOAPP recording sessions (Steven Wilson mix). From forthcoming release, Three Of A Perfect Pair 40th anniversary CD/DVD-A.
6) Sex, Sleep, Eat, Drink, Dream (rec session) (27/01/1994, Bath) - From THRAK recording sessions and on forthcoming release, THRAKBOXX.
7) THRAK (30/06/1996, Live at Shepherd's Bush) - Previously unreleased on CD.
8) Venturing Into Joy (edit) (May, 2014, Elstree band rehearsals) - Previously unreleased.
9) The Deception Of The Thrush (1998, USA) From West Coast Live, The ProjeKcts box.
10) Heaven & Earth (early edit) (14/05/2000, Nashville) ProjeKct X, TCOL recording sessions - Previously unreleased on CD.
11) Level Five (07/08/2008, Chicago, Live at Park West) - Previously unreleased on CD.
12) The Hell-Hounds of Krim (May, 2014, Elstree band rehearsals) - Previously unreleased.
13) Separation (edit) (2010, Berkhamsted) Jakszyk, Fripp, Collins sessions - Previously unreleased.
14) A Scarcity Of Miracles (2010, Berkhamsted) Jakszyk, Fripp, Collins sessions. Alt take.

They did a smaller Son-of-Tour-Box in 2008 and I did buy one at the show. DVD size case with a rarities CD and inserts.

From QQ deep space

Oh how I wish more artists were as superbly represented by their label.. KC fans are so lucky!

A shame that so few artists have possession/control of their catalog. We are indeed lucky that Mr. Fripp is an exception.

Darren Lock just posted a "First Look" video on YouTube of this elements set, and based on that, I ordered it from Burning Shed.
It looked great, and with such an interesting track listing like that, I had to go for it. :)

Oh how I wish more artists were as superbly represented by their label.. KC fans are so lucky!

The sole purpose of DGM is to market the Crims catalogue - apparently it took years but Robert owns the entire thing now.
The Tour Box is beautifully packaged - and I am envious the tour is US only at this point.
You lucky, lucky guys - here's hoping there will be a european one at some point.

You lucky, lucky guys

Yes, we are. Last night I was at the The Kimmel Center in Philadelphia for the first of two performances. The last time I traveled to Philadelphia just for a concert was to see King Crimson on their last tour of the U. S. of A. and it was an extraordinary performance. This performance was at the next level (six?), viewed and heard from just behind the mixing desk - the best place - with Mrs. Fripp sitting at my feet and enjoying the show, too.

To bring this back almost on topic after stirring jealousy, I was enjoying my Jakszyk, Fripp, and Collins (with Levin and Harrison) "A Scarcity of Miracles", Stick Men "Deep" and King Crimson "Live In Argentina, 1994" DVD-As in the car on the way there.

I'm LOVING the new Steven Wilson stereo mix of "Sleepless" (from Three of a Perfect Pair) in the new Elements Tour Box.
Makes me hunger that much more for the surround mixes of that album and "Beat".

Where oh where can they be?

One interesting tidbit I picked up from Sid Smith's liner notes in the Tour Box is this:

The 80s and 90s are no less littered with more than their share of run-throughs and musical pondering. It took no less than three full separate recording sessions before the essence of Three of a Perfect Pair was finally distilled in 1984 with at least three double-albums-worth of alt takes and try-outs sitting in the archive.

Wow...Hope that we will get a lot of that with the upcoming CD/DVDA reissues! :)

Has anybody been keeping up with David Singleton's Diary on DGMLive? Probably not…so allow me to fill you all in on some interesting tidbits concerning this THRAKBOX.

January 6:
One of those "stuff" days that is impossible to avoid, however hard we all try. Problems included a strange red and green ghosting on the NTSC Warfield footage from 1996 which will hopefully find its way onto the THRAK boxed set this year. Coincidentally, in checking Pat Mastelotto’s recent interview, I read an online review comparing THRAK unfavourably with DISCIPLINE. The boxed set may cause a rethink. The "Making of" and "Thrakattak II" discs are worth the price of entry, even before we discuss the stunning reinvention of the album in surround sound and stereo. And they were an exceptional live band - for a band with only two drummers

And today:
My days are torn between these moments - when you raise your head out of the trenches and plan for a better world - and the day-to-day onward march, which is currently the THRAK boxed set. In the can thus far, besides the album itself, are a stunning surround sound THRAKATTAK II (very different in feel to the first), and JURASSIC THRAK (or Keep that Dave), a making of disc somewhat akin to Keep That One Nick from the Larks boxset, but likewise very different from it. Which is, of course, why we all get out of bed in the morning. You set off on a new project and have no idea where it will end.

Looks like it's shaping up to be a great set! Now how about the long-delayed "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" reissues as side items? ;)

As if by magic the Crimson box sets seem to be released close to my birthday! So hopefully THRAK will be as well :banana:

Another interesting THRAKBOX update today from Mr Singleton:

Thus far this week, we have prepared all manner of goodies for the THRAK boxed set. I met with Patrick, video archivist extraordinaire (the problems of playing old audio recordings are exactly mirrored in video-land, where machines for all the various ageing formats are becoming harder and harder to find and maintain - and we are only talking about footage from the 1990s!). I cannot guarantee that all will eventually be included, but it would seem that we now have good footage of a whole show from the Warfield, hopefully a higher quality version of the DEJA VROOOM DVD, an electronic press kit and maybe some other bits. Lots to keep us entertained. And Alex is looking through the original sessions to see if we can complete the concert from Mexico City, which made up the second CD of VROOOM VROOOM. Oh yes, and then there’s the show he’s transferring from 1995 for that underworked Jakko to mix...

:banana:

Back