THRAKBOX - New King Crimson boxset?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...given that the box has ATTAKcATHRAK and Kcensington THRAK (1995 London concert) as well in surround on Blu-Ray 1 and that everything is also in surround on Blu-Ray 2, I myself just cannot pass up this box set, no matter how hard I try (and trust me my bank account is definitely trying to convince me otherwise) ;)

Gah. I feel ya. I really want to be content with the DVD-A, but...

The cd/dvda version of THRAK is now available from burning shed for preorder!

I have been checking "the shed" regularly for some time now and today is the first time I see it listed separately as opposed to the box.

I must have missed it listed somewhere other than the K.C. listings, I presume.

[video=youtube;R9NXWXFTAAQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9NXWXFTAAQ[/video]

This is another video teaser from the box set. It's another sampling of Tony's Road Movies. Enjoy! :)

Mega-Ultra-Super-Duper-Deluxe Box pre-ordered.
FWIW, BS came out to about $25 cheaper than Amerzon.
Of course, Amerzon might lower their price.

The price that I pre-ordered at on amazon.co.uk is equal to Burning Shed, with the added benefit that they won't charge my card until shipping, giving me more time to accumulate more $ to actually pay for it! :confused:

Mega-Ultra-Super-Duper-Deluxe Box pre-ordered as well so weak and caved in in the end
Never owned Thrak but have the Vroooom EP and Argentine DVDA which I quite like

http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?artist=8&show=2004

Here is the audio of THRAK, the second track up from A complete concert filmed live at The Warfield Theatre, San Francisco from 1995 - previously unreleased - with all footage newly transferred from the original tapes, mastered for high definition and 5.1 Surround Sound newly mixed by David Singleton from the multi-track tapes of the show

Enjoy! :)

http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?artist=8&show=2004

Here is the audio of THRAK, the second track up from A complete concert filmed live at The Warfield Theatre, San Francisco from 1995 - previously unreleased - with all footage newly transferred from the original tapes, mastered for high definition and 5.1 Surround Sound newly mixed by David Singleton from the multi-track tapes of the show

Enjoy! :)

I did listen to this as well as the other snippet that was previously posted, interesting stuff for sure.
I have never owned this title and based on what Neil Wilkes has previously posted on how much stuff is jammed into this release I have ordered it and paid for it from a Canadian distributer where I know my complete price and don't have to worry about a extra duty that could be added if I kept my order from amazon.uk.
Amazon.uk order cancelled and for fellow Canadians not sure how long this price will hold up but its $160 with all taxes in and shipping from here:

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-c...id=king+crimson&ikwsec=Entertainment&ikwidx=0

Much better price than amazon.ca which is 254 taxes in.

peter

Casual KC fan here but do like a lot of their stuff. Listened to Thrak for the first time last week (after attending the Birmingham gig) and I quite enjoy it. Certainly different from the older stuff but really unique and the 'songs' are really well written and the instrumental/jam tracks really layered.

I usually don't spring for these kind of boxsets (not the biggest fan of having tons of live recordings, pro or bootleg) but as this one contains lots of studio stuff in hi-res and 5.1, plus a select few live performances, I'm seriously tempted.

For those that may have the Japan DVD, how is the surround on that? Hoping it's discreet as with such a line-up like this it will really shine split across the 5 speakers, rather than 2.

Casual KC fan here...I'm seriously tempted.

I'm a moderate KC fan. My favs are Red and Discipline. I like a handful of the older records (Lizard, Larks') and I'm not super-familiar with anything newer than Discipline, though I generally like, somewhat, what I've heard of the new stuff.
As far as Thrak goes, I haven't heard it a TON, but I like it more the more I listen to it. It's a grower. So, I went in for the BIGBOX.
That's an awful lot o' hi-res 5.1 action that I think is going to be very top-notch quality and entertainment/enjoyment.

For those that may have the Japan DVD, how is the surround on that? Hoping it's discreet as with such a line-up like this it will really shine split across the 5 speakers, rather than 2.

The sound on the Japan 1995 dvd (Deja Vrooom) is excellent, with plenty of discrete surround instrumentation. I've just watched some of it, for the first time in ages.

Thanks guys, reckon I'll order it from Burning Shed once I get paid next week! £90 seems good value with all the hi-res and 5.1 content included and is the real big thing drawing me in.

Just noticed I used the wrong 'discrete' too, which is rather embarrassing, haha.

The sound on the Japan 1995 dvd (Deja Vrooom) is excellent, with plenty of discrete surround instrumentation. I've just watched some of it, for the first time in ages.

The 5.1 of that show in this set is very different to the DVD - it's been extensively tweaked & goosed by David Singleton and and a superb job was done.
The Deja VROOOM DVD was unique in some aspects too - there is a mode in there that allows you to listen from different player POV and when a player is selected their instument shifts to the centre channel, if I recall correctly.
There is indeed a lot of 5.1 in the box - there are several on the Pure Audio title plus another 4 on the Live blu-ray (which also has a neat feature we believe is another first for DGM & King Crimson - I'll leave you all to find it though).

The Deja VROOOM DVD was unique in some aspects too - there is a mode in there that allows you to listen from different player POV and when a player is selected their instument shifts to the centre channel, if I recall correctly.

There is indeed that instrument shift mode on the dvd, but I couldn't get it to work last night!

I'm really looking forward to the Thrakbox, and hopefully the USA 2 set when it surfaces is in excellent surround too. I'd love a proper blu ray video release, with surround, from this current UK tour as well, but I don't know if that's on the cards. As well as listening to them, this current KC band really needs to be watched too.

I'm really looking forward to the Thrakbox, and hopefully the USA 2 set when it surfaces is in excellent surround too. I'd love a proper blu ray video release, with surround, from this current UK tour as well, but I don't know if that's on the cards. As well as listening to them, this current KC band really needs to be watched too.

You never know what may be planned, that's for sure. If we all wish hard enough, then who knows what may appear! :wave

You never know what may be planned, that's for sure. If we all wish hard enough, then who knows what may appear! :wave

Well then we better keep wishing that the 40th anniversary reissues of "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" do eventually make it out of the release gate as I'm still anxious to hear Steven Wilson's new stereo and surround mixes for those albums!
In the meantime though, thank goodness that "THRAK" will make it out of the release gate one week before the Steve Hackett box set, cause if I'm still short on funds during those weeks, at least I can say my money went towards what I think will be the superior box between the two.
Really looking forward to getting THRAKKED in surround in just a few weeks' time! :)

Back