Steven Wilson is in the studio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're not in Los Angeles and SW may have absorbed what he felt he needed to learn in order to track the band better.

Guys, I must be honest. I miss Porcupine Tree.

Still, looking forward to his upcoming work!

Fully agree. I like his solo albums, but I find them too technical, lacking the textured sound and the charm of PT members. Truth is that I play more often the PT records and I still find Insurgentes fresher than Grace or The Raven.

It's different but it's still there. I hear it shine through on Deform To Form a Star,, or Drive Home at minimum.

When the time is right, PT will happen again.

From QQ deep space

It's different but it's still there. I hear it shine through on Deform To Form a Star,, or Drive Home at minimum.

When the time is right, PT will happen again.

From QQ deep space

You're certainly right in that it seems like the ballads on Steven Wilson's solo albums are where the PT sound is most applicable. "Postcard" in particular has that PT sound.

As long as Gavin's touring with King Crimson, I don't really care when PT make a new album or tour.
I'd rather have both Steven (w/ solo band) and King Crimson on the road than just PT. Makes more concert opportunities possible! :)

Fully agree. I like his solo albums, but I find them too technical, lacking the textured sound and the charm of PT members. Truth is that I play more often the PT records and I still find Insurgentes fresher than Grace or The Raven.

Interesting. Everyone has different tastes. Even though Porcupine Tree were my favorite band for about 15 years, I find myself listening to SW solo much more than Porcupine Tree. And, I like Insurgentes the least by far! When I do need a PT fix, I usually listen to Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, or Signify (oh how I wish that was in 5.1!). I find the 5.1 mix of In Absentia and Deadwing to be too bright and compressed for my liking.

I am just happy he is recording new music again. I do hope he revisits Porcupine Tree some day.

Guys, I must be honest. I miss Porcupine Tree.

Still, looking forward to his upcoming work!

I could not agree more! I do enjoy the solo work, but man I wish it was a new PT offering in the works. Having seen Porcupine Tree five times and SW's Raven show once, the PT shows are just such a multi-sensory experience compared with the solo shows (which by no means are lacking in their own intensity). Oh well. At least I have the Anesthetize blu-ray to tide me over.

I don't miss PT. Love the band, both their early and later years, but I do enjoy his solo music even more. "The Raven..." is my favourite SW album, counting every project he's ever been involved in.

Marco Minnemann just posted that the album is finished. I can't wait!!!

http://tinyurl.com/pbdpxhv

10550040_10152476275438773_1421649116885044434_o.jpg
Just finished the recordings for the new STEVEN WILSON album in London. :) It was a great vibe and I think the material came out great. See you soon on tour with that band again.... thank you Adam, Guthrie, Nick, and Steven. And also thank you Steve Orchard for the amazing sounds we got in the studio.
Picture taken by Lasse Hoile.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dlHxl5Q3pIA

Here's a preview of Steven Wilson recording his new album with his band in Sept at AIR studios in London.

I'm really enjoying what I heard from this preview. It sounds like he's delving more into what could be considered Porcupine Tree or Blackfield sounding tracks.

Which of course begs the question, why not record it as Porcupine Tree? Oh well...

This is looking to me to be an even more enjoyable album than the Raven, so full speed ahead! :)

I hope there's something more adventurous or, at least, different from what he's done before. Honestly, I'd be dissapointed if it's just a combination of the styles from his different projects. Every SW solo album has been unique - Insurgentes with some noise & 80's influences, Grace with its very dark, disturbing mood, great diversity of tracks and jazzy elements, The Raven with the vintage prog rock sound. I love them all because they offer something different from what he had done to date (and they're great). I guess the fact that I'm not among those who miss PT (even though I love the band) makes me look forward to hearing different sounds from him every time. We'll see. I'm sure I'll like it anyway, but how much?

Btw, that intro music sounds a bit like parts of the song "3000 days" by Pineapple Thief (a very nice song).

I'm really enjoying what I heard from this preview. It sounds like he's delving more into what could be considered Porcupine Tree or Blackfield sounding tracks.

Which of course begs the question, why not record it as Porcupine Tree? Oh well...

Because the other members of Porcupine Tree aren't involved. Porcupine Tree is not a one man show like it was in 1993. The other members, Richard Barbieri, Colin Edwin and Gavin Harrison, contribute heavily. Their unique styles influence the sound that is Porcupine Tree. Richard Barbieri is a master at synthesizers and electronics which is a huge part of that sound. I certainly wouldn't describe him as early 70s prog or jazz. Per interviews, even Steven has admitted that his direction and take on music over the past four or five years was much derived by working with ideas that were more his own and not in line with members of Porcupine Tree. Granted, that probably had more to do with Richard than Gavin or Colin. Yet, even if the new album has far less of a jazz influence and elements may remind you of Porcupine Tree [after all, it's still mainly Steven], this new music evolved with his current band mates and that is where it belongs.

To further add, a great deal of the music that makes up the Porcupine Tree recordings after Up the Downstair were born out of lengthy jam sessions with those band members. Sure, Steven writes the lyrics and he often has working demos more so than mere ideas to start the creative process. However, if you revisit the bonus material and extras that have been released officially and unofficially over the years, you hear improvising and fleshing out of material that makes up those records. Moonloop and Metanoia come to mind for their earlier albums as a working band. And, of course, their 2000s records evolved from jam sessions and demos from on and off stage, including material that became Fear of a Blank Planet and the 55-minute piece The Incident. He's still doing this kind of stuff, the hashing out, as it were, Raven being a great example; only now he's been doing it with musicians that are more in line with his own ideas. Though perhaps it can be argued that the musicians he's been utilizing the past few years are akin to interchangeable parts or session musicians, albeit highly talented ones, he's still used them to create an album that would certainly be different if working with his old band mates.

Last edited:
This sounds very promising. And I like SW's comment that for this record he's written less sax and flute parts, which I thought sounded out of place at times on previous songs. But now the waiting begins....

Back