Ahhchh! Bose!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leevitalone1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
So I buy a nice used GMC- lots of options- 4wd-plow, K&N cold intake and a expensive exhaust-getting me great mileage, I'll make a ton a cash plowing snow-but, the worst ever- Bose! speakers!! Nice setup GM radio cd - tape RSS feed radio and it sounds like shit! Nice tweeters in the windscreen posts- ( rather nice spot) -So if I expect any thing decent the Bose gotta go!
My last car was a Jeep that had a crummy "Infinity" speaker set up, but it sounded a whole lot better then this shit! Even my last pick up had factory GM that sounded better. Bose sure suks !

Are you sure the previous owner didn't strip out all the "good" stuff? Funny, I'm ditching my fancy new Focal Chorus 716V speakers for my "old" Bose 901's. Maybe my "old" ears just prefer the audio range of the 901's over the Focals. :)

Are you sure the previous owner didn't strip out all the "good" stuff? Funny, I'm ditching my fancy new Focal Chorus 716V speakers for my "old" Bose 901's. Maybe my "old" ears just prefer the audio range of the 901's over the Focals. :)
The 901's were ok this 2003 -shit

I can recall an enlightening afternoon when I brought my Bose 901s to a local stereo salon and A/B'd them against a pair of Dahlquist DQ10's I was considering. The difference was not subtle. It seemed a good portion of the high end was missing with the 901's not to mention how badly they blurred the image. In fact, at first I assumed the Bose equalizer was somehow not installed in the system correctly. When I realized it was connected properly and switching it out made the sound even duller, I never looked back. I bought the Dahlquists and sold the 901's. There was no contest.

Bose's motto is "Better Sound Through Research" but as critics have pointed out, their slogan should be "Better Sales Through Marketing" since they seem to be much better at selling their stuff as opposed to making great electronics. That doesn't mean all their equipment is bad--I've heard good things about some of their headphones--but what they're really selling is convenience, as in the Wave radio, and their small satellite systems that don't take up much space but do offer decent sound--for not much space. But anyone who truly wants fine sonics would do better to buy components of quality. Bose's success has always been about size--their shelf speakers sold very well even though they sounded like utter crap. Their Wave radio sounds good for what it is--but that ain't much, and nothing an audiophile would be interested in. And for what you get for your money, Bose has always been somewhat pricey, not least because all that marketing and advertising costs a lot and Bose has to pass that on to consumers, which is why they offer payment plans. They're the Fingerhut of electronics, but it would be unfair to say everything they sell is crap, because--perhaps by default--they do have some quality items, but it's easier to go to a Best Buy or local electronics store and hear it for yourself, than trust Bose to tell you how great their stuff is. And their speakers have been notoriously dissed from the outset.

ED :)

Bose's motto is "Better Sound Through Research" but as critics have pointed out, their slogan should be "Better Sales Through Marketing" since they seem to be much better at selling their stuff as opposed to making great electronics. That doesn't mean all their equipment is bad--I've heard good things about some of their headphones--but what they're really selling is convenience, as in the Wave radio, and their small satellite systems that don't take up much space but do offer decent sound--for not much space. But anyone who truly wants fine sonics would do better to buy components of quality. Bose's success has always been about size--their shelf speakers sold very well even though they sounded like utter crap. Their Wave radio sounds good for what it is--but that ain't much, and nothing an audiophile would be interested in. And for what you get for your money, Bose has always been somewhat pricey, not least because all that marketing and advertising costs a lot and Bose has to pass that on to consumers, which is why they offer payment plans. They're the Fingerhut of electronics, but it would be unfair to say everything they sell is crap, because--perhaps by default--they do have some quality items, but it's easier to go to a Best Buy or local electronics store and hear it for yourself, than trust Bose to tell you how great their stuff is. And their speakers have been notoriously dissed from the outset.

I will give Bose credit for their early approach to small speakers that could provide decent sound...but they never evolved from that point in home audio...but they do offer some good solutions for automobiles depending on what the car brand will choose to invest...all their car systems aren't the same quality....they have different tiers and some are actually pretty good..

If I were to choose a slogan for Bose it would be "no highs...no lows...it must be Bose"

Everyone's preference is different. I just finished exchanging the Focal's for the Bose 901's in my primary audio system, and much prefer the dynamic range of the Bose. The Focal's have replaced the tiny (tinny?) Onkyo front speakers in both of my surround sound systems. I've never liked either of those systems for MUSIC, although they sounded fine for movies. I'm anxious to re-calibrate these speakers and test them with a good Blu-ray audio disk. I already notice the difference listening to Pandora while I "work".

As far as Bose car audio goes, I installed a Bose 1401 surround system in one of my cars back in the mid 80's and have to say "Wow, that sucked!" They were 901 drivers and came with an active equalizer, and I could never get that system to sound right. There is so much more that goes into car audio than components, and my combination didn't work. I know I still have pieces of that system sitting on a bench, so if anybody needs parts... :)

I also still have my re-coned/recovered 501's sitting in the spare bedroom. They sounded really good in 1975! :)

People are like lemmings-they actually like being told what to do. Years ago, there was a TV movie -I think the title was "the wave" this teacher trying to explain to his class about Nazi's starts a Fascist like club, and soon enough all the students are involved-prejudice and violence ensues- but it showed that the kids enjoyed being led and told how and what to do. This is the premise of lots of products and of pop music and popular films. Told repeatedly, and "effective 'propaganda" eventually is effective. Especially with those who are well off financially. Expensive items are often better than average made, and here is where the ads come in- you piss away lots more and think it must be better than average. This the "genius" of Bose selling an idea in a shit package. For that, Bose deserves respect. What crooks, too bad I didn't think of it.

Home audio and car audio are such completely different animals that how one manufacturer performs in a home system is not relative to how it will perform under 12v conditions. I have a friend who also loves his 901s and in his home system I have to say they sound very good. He, like the previous poster moved up from 501s as well. I think you get used to how something sounds and you like it and change comes with difficulties. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Audio enjoyment is actually as personal a choice as the brand of toothpaste that you like.
That being said I can tell you that bose speakers for the 12v market have never been embraced by car audio professionals for one main reason: power handling. They just can't seem to make a speaker that can handle significant amperage. They had some factory tuned systems that sounded very good but under low power conditions. Pushing a bose 12v system to even 0db for much longer than 5 second bursts will likely blow the driver. I would hazard a guess that our original poster here probably has several blown speakers. When a speaker blows it doesn't always have a rattle sound. In a car system often times the driver windings will blow and it will not allow the cone to travel in and out in which case it will sound very tinny. This problem is common with some brands like bose if they have been pushed too far. I have listened to a bose 12 speaker factory system that was outstanding with a harmon kardon dvda player. That is until the speakers started to blow.

Home audio and car audio are such completely different animals that how one manufacturer performs in a home system is not relative to how it will perform under 12v conditions. I have a friend who also loves his 901s and in his home system I have to say they sound very good. He, like the previous poster moved up from 501s as well. I think you get used to how something sounds and you like it and change comes with difficulties. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Audio enjoyment is actually as personal a choice as the brand of toothpaste that you like.
That being said I can tell you that bose speakers for the 12v market have never been embraced by car audio professionals for one main reason: power handling. They just can't seem to make a speaker that can handle significant amperage. They had some factory tuned systems that sounded very good but under low power conditions. Pushing a bose 12v system to even 0db for much longer than 5 second bursts will likely blow the driver. I would hazard a guess that our original poster here probably has several blown speakers. When a speaker blows it doesn't always have a rattle sound. In a car system often times the driver windings will blow and it will not allow the cone to travel in and out in which case it will sound very tinny. This problem is common with some brands like bose if they have been pushed too far. I have listened to a bose 12 speaker factory system that was outstanding with a harmon kardon dvda player. That is until the speakers started to blow.

I already ordered a new set to replace them. There are these huge slots where a huge cover is in the doors with a 5.14 inch driver-and they sound awful! There are 'tweeters" in the posts for the windscreen and they too have no -no brightness to them.

Back