Fisher 500C

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is indeed a nice piece, but not quad. It has a "third channel" that is actually created from the other two. Sort of like the Hafler effect for Dynaquad. It was summed from the difference of the left and right to fill the center of your listening area if your speakers were spaced far apart. I wish apartments were created with rooms big enough to take advantage of the effect. but no one has apartments as big as Mary Tyler Moore anymore.

My daughter-in-law grew up not too far from the house they used for exterior shots of Mary's residence. I believe they used a set for the interior shots, however. I could be wrong.

My older brother lived in a similar house in Minneapolis and his apartment was the whole lower floor and was similarly large like Mary's apartment.

My apartment is actually a large one. The building was built in the sixties and the living room is about 16' X 25'. My front speakers are on one of the short walls and so I don't need a center channel.

Fisher equipment from those days is always sought by tube enthusiasts.

Doug

I've been using a Fisher X-101 for the rear channels with quad. Someone gave me that for free back in 1989.

"It is indeed a nice piece, but not quad. It has a "third channel" that is actually created from the other two. Sort of like the Hafler effect for Dynaquad. It was summed from the difference of the left and right to fill the center of your listening area if your speakers were spaced far apart. "

i have an 800b that has the same thing ...i think. i thought it was for a subwoofer.

ive never powered it on - bought it from original dead owners wife - its in a console - dont know who to use..local....to have it restored.

wareid

Last edited:
I used to have a Motorola console that used a similar arrangement. The tweeters and mid-ranges were separated to left and right, and the big-a** woofer was the center channel. I wouldn't have called it a subwoofer, but it did fill the room with a pleasant sound. I don't expect wide separation in a console, but this one had more than enough. The side speakers also had immovable louvers to disperse the higher frequencies. If your console is set up this way, try it and see if you like it. If it works, enjoy it for now and decide later if you want to have it restored or at least some preventative maintenance done. The big things to look for are excessive 60 cycle hum and weird smells. If you can see the tubes, look for extremely red or blue glows from the output tubes and rectifier, this signifies a possible capacitor short or leak.

Both are things of beauty. I had a 10B in my hands at an estate sale 30 years ago and had no interest in it because the 4230 I had had a great tuner. I should've known better. Although FM was a lot better back then, in my area at least, so I wouldn't use it much now.

I found one of these in a dumpster without the extra speaker along with a couple of other vintage tubed radios.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnavox-FM...957?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c485f1065

I have one of these, too. I vaguely remember buying it in a thrift store for a couple dollars. I remember listening to it back in the late 1980's (as well as other tube amps/systems), IIRC, and experiencing the revelation about vacuum tube sound.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Zen...043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed8efe143

Back