Oppo BDP103 discoveries.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I didn't see this posted anywhere else and I though it might help.

I got my 103D and use it with a 1TB drive for playing FLAC etc. if the player is set to gapless play, using the remote, you cannot ff or rev through a track. However, if you download the Oppo remote APP for your iPhone or iPad (or android I believe)you are now able to use that to forward into a track or back up within a track and still keep the gapless play working. You can also see your track info on the iPad and search through you folder and file list by touch instead of having to scroll through titles with the up/down arrows.

Also you can use your iPad to do the searching in YouTube which makes it much easier to search through the videos.

I am really enjoying using my iPad in conjunction with the Oppo player.

I just "upgraded" my Oppo 93 by moving it upstairs and replacing it with a 103D. In doing so I also made some discoveries, and have a question for 103 owners.

1) BUMMER. After I set it all up, a new test SACD arrived from Marshall of a title I can't mention yet (but some of you will be very happy) and when I put it in the 103 it did not play! The Oppo displayed UNKNOWN DISC and on the monitor it said NO DISC. I brought the SACD up to try in the 93 and it played fine. After doing some google'ing, it seems that the 103 does not play SACD-Rs. WTF?

Why would they remove a feature like that. I know that my 93 has the latest firmware for it, as I kept it on the network and that plays the SACD-R without issue.

2) I have started putting 4 and 6 channel wav and flac files on a USB drive to leave attached to the Oppo 103 as a music database. It works great. It's so nice to just get the wav/flac file and save it instead of going through all of the hoops to make them into a DVD-A (which still has to be done for the car)

I found a tagging program called 'AudioShell' and put the info in and it displays on the Oppo screen, but I can't seem to figure out how to attach a graphic to each file. AudioShell allows you to do this, but when I do the image shows up if I view the file on my PC, but the Oppo screen does not show the graphic.

Is there a way to do this? Or a better program for tagging. I don't mind buying a program if it does everything I want it to.

THANKS

I just "upgraded" my Oppo 93 by moving it upstairs and replacing it with a 103D. In doing so I also made some discoveries, and have a question for 103 owners.

1) BUMMER. After I set it all up, a new test SACD arrived from Marshall of a title I can't mention yet (but some of you will be very happy) and when I put it in the 103 it did not play! The Oppo displayed UNKNOWN DISC and on the monitor it said NO DISC. I brought the SACD up to try in the 93 and it played fine. After doing some google'ing, it seems that the 103 does not play SACD-Rs. WTF?

Why would they remove a feature like that. I know that my 93 has the latest firmware for it, as I kept it on the network and that plays the SACD-R without issue.

2) I have started putting 4 and 6 channel wav and flac files on a USB drive to leave attached to the Oppo 103 as a music database. It works great. It's so nice to just get the wav/flac file and save it instead of going through all of the hoops to make them into a DVD-A (which still has to be done for the car)

I found a tagging program called 'AudioShell' and put the info in and it displays on the Oppo screen, but I can't seem to figure out how to attach a graphic to each file. AudioShell allows you to do this, but when I do the image shows up if I view the file on my PC, but the Oppo screen does not show the graphic.

Is there a way to do this? Or a better program for tagging. I don't mind buying a program if it does everything I want it to.

THANKS

Jon..I'm not techsavvy when it comes to making "copies"...but I have read enough on the subject to know that Oppo didn't remove this "feature"...as it was never an authorized feature provided by OPPO...Mediatek actually removed this ability from the chip...this happened in firmware update 50-0323B

Jon, afaik there is a custom firmware for Oppo 10X models. Bob may know more about it or PM me.

Or a better program for tagging.

Foobar2000 will embed artwork into FLAC files, though that feature was only introduced in the last couple years, I think. I've never had a problem with what it does, but my testing is with Squeezeboxes rather than Oppo players.

I'm not at home right now, but I think the process is to right-click on the track in question, then "Tagging" then "Attach pictures". Something like that, anyway.

OPPO BDP-103 question: How do you set the unit to have gapless playback between flac files? Also, when I rip DTS CDs to flac files to play on my OPPO (using Foobar2000), I always hear a split-second of "DTS static" at the start of the first song (this does not occur on subsequent songs). When I rip DTS CDs to wav files, there is no static, but the first split-second of audio is cut off. I would prefer to rip to flac so I can imbed the artwork, but not if I have to hear the DTS static noise. Suggestions?

OPPO BDP-103 question: How do you set the unit to have gapless playback between flac files? Also, when I rip DTS CDs to flac files to play on my OPPO (using Foobar2000), I always hear a split-second of "DTS static" at the start of the first song (this does not occur on subsequent songs). When I rip DTS CDs to wav files, there is no static, but the first split-second of audio is cut off. I would prefer to rip to flac so I can imbed the artwork, but not if I have to hear the DTS static noise. Suggestions?

Anybody?

Ok, I figured out "gapless play"... How do I get rid of the "DTS static" at the beginning of the first flac I play (ripped from a DTS CD)? If anyone knows, please let me know!

Ok, I figured out "gapless play"... How do I get rid of the "DTS static" at the beginning of the first flac I play (ripped from a DTS CD)? If anyone knows, please let me know!
That I don't know about. I do know that you can't fast forward while in Gapless Play. However if you get the Oppo app for the iPad or iphone or android you can use it as a remote that will allow you to move through a track.

Are you using HDMI or toslink or coax?

This is a bit off topic but I recently discovered my OPPO 103 stopped playing all Blu Rays, I would get an "unknown disc" message every time. I contacted OPPO on the weekend and was amazed by their customer service. They told me the unit would have to be repaired. On Monday they sent me an e-mailed shipping label. Next Saturday I sent the unit out and It was repaired and returned on Wednesday in a new OPPO box with my Deadwing DVD I stupidly left in the player. The report inside stated that the loader was replaced.

This is a bit off topic but I recently discovered my OPPO 103 stopped playing all Blu Rays, I would get an "unknown disc" message every time. I contacted OPPO on the weekend and was amazed by their customer service. They told me the unit would have to be repaired. On Monday they sent me an e-mailed shipping label. Next Saturday I sent the unit out and It was repaired and returned on Wednesday in a new OPPO box with my Deadwing DVD I stupidly left in the player. The report inside stated that the loader was replaced.

I have heard a lot of stories about how Oppo has gone the extra mile for service...I have the 103D and haven't had any problems yet...but I do have to unplug it every once in a while...just to keep it honest:)

I contacted them about a 103D that I auditioned. I got a reply within two minutes!

If you connect your Oppo to your wi-fi you get the firmware updates automagically.

If you connect your Oppo to your wi-fi you get the firmware updates automagically.

I don't do that because I like to wait and see if there are any problems with the firmware update...hasn't happened with Oppo yet... but I have had problems with other devices associated with the actual firmware updates..

Back