The Jackson 5 Greatest Hits on CD-4. Why not in the U.S.? Here's my theory:

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
In my never-ending search for multitracks, I've come across a few Jackson 5 tunes. Two complete multitracks of "ABC"; one eight-track, the other sixteen.

The eight track has all vocals on one track, all guitars on another, piano on one, drums on one, bass on one, percussion on two and incidentals on the last track. Interesting to note, this one has correct vocals.

The sixteen track is of course much more detailed, with each instrument occupying it's own track. Jermaine is given his own track for his vocal parts, Jackie gets his own as well. I'm curious as to how they were recorded as an entire group because it sounds like they are all together, live in the vocal booth, but their specific vocal bits are sung into separate microphones. There is significant track bleed on the main track while the other parts seem to get turned on and off when needed. Lastly, Micheal's main vocal track features all the alternate vocals like what are present on the Quad mix on the Japanese Greatest Hits CD-4.

So, this leaves me with the question of how were productions like this mixed? I highly doubt bouncing everything to another 16-track would've been prudent or cost effective - not to mention losing an entire generation in the process. Bouncing pre-mixes to another 8-track reel might make sense. Lock in the mixes you're for sure about and punch in (or re-record as in this case) new vocals.

I'm starting to think the reason we never saw a release of this album over here is the fact that the songs would've been far too different from the proper stereo releases. People would notice this and more than likely; complain incessantly. Japan on the other hand might not care as much.
If they asked for the 1st generation 16-track, they obviously got it - warts and all.

It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me as to why they wouldn't just repair the vocals on the 16-track unless I'm not understanding something about the process.

Regardless, I was able to take the vocals from the 8, sync it to the 16 and bounce down my own lead vocal, as well as repair the backing vocal bits.

My mix is incredible. Better than 'Never can say Goodbye'. A little more playful with the vocals too. Yes, I'll release it soon. :cool:

Back