Teledyne 8-Track Sampler - discrete or matrix?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boojidad

Found this in my internet travels. Strange: it's 8-track, proudly proclaims it is quadraphonic (only two programs - check) - then says "SQ encoded" right in the middle of the label! Does this make sense to anyone? (Sorry, I don't have a picture of the bottom of the shell, but remember - there are stereo 8-tracks out there in quad shells.)

Teledyne Q8LM-6815[1].jpgTeledyne Q8LM-6815[2].jpg

Interesting. It's also nearly the same as the discrete Q8 Sampler (Q8L-6873) "Four Channel Sound".

However on this one, Track 1 omits "Theme of Erik Satie" and "For the Good Times" but adds in "Sounds on the Surf".
"Theme of Erik Satie" is moved to Track 2 but omits "Heart of Gold", "Rocket Man" and "Song Sung Blue".

But this also begs the question, is the Teledyne/Packard Bell tape player a Quadraphonic capable deck? If it is, then that really throws a monkey wrench in the works.

Teledyne Packard Bell did distribute Quad gear. Here's their TPA-42 Q8 deck:
Teledyne Packard Bell Model TPA-42 Q8 PLAYER.jpg

Although I haven't heard the tape in question, I would guess that they are decoded tracks off SQ matrix LP's from Capitol, ala the US Capitol Q8 of Dark Side. Some Quad demo tape.

I used to have a Wynford Hall 8Track receiver that played "matrix encoded tapes" as well as discrete 4 channel tapes. It would sound real weird when you played a 4 channel tape in matrix mode as it would blend the "decoded" front channels with the rears and add a wee bit o' delay. I relegated that to the pizza shop I worked in at the time.

Back