Roger Waters: I Am Not Part of Pink Floyd & The New PF Albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have really grown tired of the Roger Waters saga....just saying.....although the media bears some blame for rehashing the former relationship with the band... Roger keeps it alive with his occasional stupid comment..personally I think he loves the attention...IMO he's a 71 year old man with 4 marriages who still yearns for the glory he had with Pink Floyd and has never been able to replicate that success on his own...most people would be happy with being the driving force for 20 years in a high profile band...but evidently he isn't...of course these are my opinions and I know there are a lot who worship Roger..and I loved his work..BUT...I've just grown tired of all this...

I have really grown tired of the Roger Waters saga....just saying.....although the media bears some blame for rehashing the former relationship with the band... Roger keeps it alive with his occasional stupid comment..personally I think he loves the attention...IMO he's a 71 year old man with 4 marriages who still yearns for the glory he had with Pink Floyd and has never been able to replicate that success on his own...most people would be happy with being the driving force for 20 years in a high profile band...but evidently he isn't...of course these are my opinions and I know there are a lot who worship Roger..and I loved his work..BUT...I've just grown tired of all this...

http://www.newsweek.com/roger-waters-wants-you-stop-asking-him-about-new-pink-floyd-album-274586

Ok, so the man who calls himself the creative genius of Pink Floyd wants people stop asking him about a new Pink Floyd album. Hmm, perhaps stop performing all those classic Floyd albums and try something of your own.

Of course performing on his own without any mention of Pink Floyd will never get as much ticket sales.

It all makes perfect sense, expressed in dollars and cents.

Ol' Rog suffers a bit from Leonard Nimoy syndrome..."I am not Spock" then "I am Spock" - don't type-cast me even though I continue to revisit the character endlessly and have not much of a career outside that character. He lost almost all credibility with me ages ago, and without delving into topics the forum doesn't want, when he opens his mouth he doesn't help at all.

I think the title of the Rolling Stone article says it all:

Roger Waters Reminds Curious Fans: 'I Am Not Part of Pink Floyd'.

Perhaps it should have read:

Roger Waters Reminds Fans: 'I Was Part of Pink Floyd Once'

He states that they are asking his wife. if she knows it bugs him, why doesn't she just keep it to herself?

Sad really - Here is a gifted artist that just seems to want it totally his way and can't live with the ramifications of events he put into motion.
How deluded must he have been to honestly think it was all about him. Whether or not the critics, fans and roger himself bemoans the quality of the output of post Waters Pink Floyd, the fact is MLOR & TDB where extremely well received commercially which indicates somebody liked it.

It does indeed seem ironic that the guy complains about being mistakenly affiliated with modern Floyd while he has spent the last decade touring The Wall & Dark Side instead of his solo stuff.

It does indeed seem ironic that the guy complains about being mistakenly affiliated with modern Floyd while he has spent the last decade touring The Wall & Dark Side instead of his solo stuff.
Arguably, The Wall is RW solo stuff. Oh, yes there is that cool Gilmour song among, what, 25?

I don't like RW either, but I'd give him credit where credit's due.

Never said that I didn't like RW but if he was all that confident in himself, why didn't he release the Wall as a solo album?
Dave & Rick were working on solo albums at that period and Nick was producing somebody's album. He had every opportunity but I suspect that with their financial issues at the time he understood that it was much safer to be in PF than a solo artist.

Can not really buy into your statement that the Wall is virtually a RW solo album. Two of the album's most iconic songs are defined by Dave's guitar.
I might buy that argument for the Final Cut but not the Wall.

All just my opinion - I love all their collective work

He states that they are asking his wife.

And there's the rub. There supposedly some people asking his wife.

If true, it's more likely these are friends or acquaintances of his wife who have been told her husband is/was in Pink Floyd, and not fans who know very well he isn't any more.

Well, for one thing, if they were asking his wife, she could have simply said something like, 'Now you lot should know by now that Roger hasn't been with Pink Floyd for over two decades now.' or some such. Much ado about nothing, really....and one has to wonder why any fan who is really a fan would ask about Waters at all, since even a casual fan must know PF has been a Gilmour/Mason (and for a time, a little Wright) gig for over two decades. I guess the brief reunion gave false hopes to a longer one. But the reality is that Waters was a major force in some of their most iconic and popular work that will always overshadow his own. The Pink Floyd name itself is something he's doomed to be part of, no matter the quality of his solo work (which I've actually enjoyed, but then, I enjoy the Syd period as much as the Meddle/DSOTM/WYWH/ANIMALS phase, just as I love the early Beatles but also dig the more sophisticated, later work).

Like Chuck Berry, Van Morrison and a few others, Waters has always been a bit cranky and touchy, although all are considered legendary. You'd think they'd find some perspective and chill, but for some folks it's simply beyond them. Ah well, such grumpiness can keep you in the music news, if nothin' else...

ED :)

I thought his reply was fine. I'd imagine it delivered with a touch of wry humor and good-natured exasperation rather than as a slam. Something like "you'd think after being out of the band for nearly 30 years, people would get the memo and realize I don't have any input on new material, but I keep getting asked about it."

To me it is a shame that Roger Waters and Pink Floyd became so politicized in the mid-1980s. I for one did get sucked into the whole mess as an avid fan, but for what?

In the end, I am grateful that both Waters and Gilmour (and Wright and Mason) continued to make music, no matter how it was branded. Most of the work of these musicians has been important to me, so when both bands were touring with Pink Floyd music in their sets I was all for it.

For those who want another perspective on the Floyd wars, may I recommend "Roger Waters Superstar," a complete parody of Jesus Christ Superstar with the Floyds overlain on the storyline. You can find the lyrics here: http://www.ingsoc.com/waters/humour/jcs.html It helps if you are very familiar with JCSS so you can sing along in your head.

I think part of what is going on with the current Roger comments is that there are those fans who want to see Waters and Gilmour reunite again, so this is wishful thinking outside of what Roger thinks or wants. I think he is perfectly happy doing his own thing, some of which is material released under the name Pink Floyd. Again, I am all for it!

Never said that I didn't like RW but if he was all that confident in himself, why didn't he release the Wall as a solo album?
Dave & Rick were working on solo albums at that period and Nick was producing somebody's album. He had every opportunity but I suspect that with their financial issues at the time he understood that it was much safer to be in PF than a solo artist.

Can not really buy into your statement that the Wall is virtually a RW solo album. Two of the album's most iconic songs are defined by Dave's guitar.
I might buy that argument for the Final Cut but not the Wall.

All just my opinion - I love all their collective work

Roger presented both The Wall and The Pros And Cons to the band and asked them to choose which project for the next Pink Floud album and which for his first solo album. They wisely chose The Wall. I agree that the "most iconic" tracks are co-writes with Gilmour and the ones featuring his guitar.

For those who want another perspective on the Floyd wars, may I recommend "Roger Waters Superstar," a complete parody of Jesus Christ Superstar with the Floyds overlain on the storyline. You can find the lyrics here: http://www.ingsoc.com/waters/humour/jcs.html It helps if you are very familiar with JCSS so you can sing along in your head.
LOL!

To me it is a shame that Roger Waters and Pink Floyd became so politicized in the mid-1980s. I for one did get sucked into the whole mess as an avid fan, but for what?

In the end, I am grateful that both Waters and Gilmour (and Wright and Mason) continued to make music, no matter how it was branded. Most of the work of these musicians has been important to me, so when both bands were touring with Pink Floyd music in their sets I was all for it.

I think part of what is going on with the current Roger comments is that there are those fans who want to see Waters and Gilmour reunite again, so this is wishful thinking outside of what Roger thinks or wants. I think he is perfectly happy doing his own thing, some of which is material released under the name Pink Floyd. Again, I am all for it!

nothing to do with your post....but..

great tag line...i need to steal it! lol

For those who want another perspective on the Floyd wars, may I recommend "Roger Waters Superstar,"

Very clever all round, although the line Dave and I have stolen your pig made me laugh the most.

Also brought to mind that other great rock opera about a messianic figure:

"Lieutenant Waters didn't come home,
His newly-born son would never know him ...
"

Last edited:
Back