Elliot Scheiner & Audio Fidelity Announce 5.1 SACD Partnership

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Today's big news is that Audio Fidelity and Elliot Scheiner have started a partnership to bring additional 5.1 Multichannel SACDs to market.

First out of the gate will be a release by the New York Voices on November 4th on an Audio Fidelity 5.1 Multichannel SACD. It will be a Christmas album in full 5.1 SACD Surround Sound titled "Let It Snow". (New York Voices previously did a 5.1 track on a Jason Miles 5.1 SACD from Telarc).

Here's today's announcement from Audio Fidelity:

Audio Fidelity has entered into a relationship with multi-Grammy award winner Elliot Scheiner. Scheiner has produced, mixed or mastered a superstar list of artists including The Eagles, Sting, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, Jackson Browne and more. Our first release under this new association is "Let It Snow," by New York Voices, one of the finest singing ensembles ever assembled. This magnificent multichannel production is destined to become a Christmas Classic. The recording was mixed in 5.1 and mastered by Elliot Scheiner with Darcy Proper adding the mastering on the 2-channel and the DSD.

"Let it Snow" surrounds the listener with beloved traditional and sacred classics as well as secular favorites, while incorporating sophisticated jazz and swing elements in new and innovative vocal arrangements and orchestrations. The thirteen Christmas songs are performed in a variety of settings using a standard six-piece rhythm section accompanied by a thirty-one piece studio orchestra on five tracks, a thirteen-piece big band on four songs, a septet on "I Wonder As I Wander," as well as wonderful a cappella treatments of religious songs like "O Come, O Come Emmanuel," and "Silent Night." One of the highlights of the album is the medley of Mel Torme's classic "The Christmas Song" and the Charlie Brown holiday standard "Christmas Time Is Here." New York Voices unwraps the enchanting “Let It Snow” as the newest Christmas present from Audio Fidelity.

New York Voices - Let It Snow.jpg
New York Voices - "Let It Snow"
5.1 Discrete SACD Surround Sound and High Def SACD Stereo - Hybrid Multichannel SACD Disc
“Special Unnumbered Edition”

Street Date: November 4th

AFZ5 520
SRP: $29.99
UPC #: 780014152024

Glad to see E.S. still in the game. Now let's hope we can get some of the surround mixes by Steely Dan and Fleetwood Mac that are still in the vaults collecting dust!

Glad to see E.S. still in the game. Now let's hope we can get some of the surround mixes by Steely Dan and Fleetwood Mac that are still in the vaults collecting dust!

Elliot is definitely still in the Surround Sound game and continues to be a big fan.

As to unreleased Surround Sound mixes - as well as ones he's done in the past that have been released - Scheiner has been at the center of many Surround Sound sessions. I'm looking forward to the New York Voices 5.1 SACD as well as what AF and Scheiner will come up with for additional 5.1 releases in the months ahead.

This promises to be a very exciting arrangement for Audio Fidelity, Elliot Scheiner and all of the SACD Surround Sound fans out there!

This makes sense...they already had this one "in the can"...silent night in surround:cool:...but ES with a formal agreement with Audio Fidelity is

HUGE...this is another great sign that the surround niche is getting the best people in the right spots...Steven Wilson working on Songs From the Big Chair...Bob Clearmountain with Reckless...and now this....what a trifecta of talent...hopefully they will be permitted to work on some great projects...wait until fredblue sees this news....hehe...

Today's big news is that Audio Fidelity and Elliot Scheiner have started a partnership to bring additional 5.1 Multichannel SACDs to market.

First out of the gate will be a release by the New York Voices on November 4th on an Audio Fidelity 5.1 Multichannel SACD. It will be a Christmas album in full 5.1 SACD Surround Sound titled "Let It Snow". (New York Voices previously did a 5.1 track on a Jason Miles 5.1 SACD from Telarc).

Here's today's announcement from Audio Fidelity:

View attachment 16209
New York Voices - "Let It Snow"
5.1 Discrete SACD Surround Sound and High Def SACD Stereo - Hybrid Multichannel SACD Disc
“Special Unnumbered Edition”

Street Date: November 4th

AFZ5 520
SRP: $29.99
UPC #: 780014152024

I've been patiently waiting for a good Christmas Surround Disc and I hope this fills my void. Looking forward for it. The Christmas Extraordinaire by Mannheim Steamroller is boring.

This album was recorded and released last year on CD (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6Y3BOC). It was almost certainly mixed to 5.1 in LPCM. It seems a shame (to me at least) that they aren't selling the 5.1 version in its native LPCM format, whether on Blu-ray, DVD Audio, or flac download. For those of us who feed the bits directly to our receiver's DAC, SACD is not the best option. I love New York Voices, and I love Elliot Scheiner's previous work with them ("Sing Sing Sing"). I'd love to buy a copy of this album in 5.1 too, but not an SACD.

Josh

P.S. I'm not writing this to piss off any SACD fans, but in the hope that word gets back to Audio Fidelity.

This album was recorded and released last year on CD (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6Y3BOC). It was almost certainly mixed to 5.1 in LPCM. It seems a shame (to me at least) that they aren't selling the 5.1 version in its native LPCM format, whether on Blu-ray, DVD Audio, or flac download. For those of us who feed the bits directly to our receiver's DAC, SACD is not the best option. I love New York Voices, and I love Elliot Scheiner's previous work with them ("Sing Sing Sing"). I'd love to buy a copy of this album in 5.1 too, but not an SACD.

Josh

P.S. I'm not writing this to piss off any SACD fans, but in the hope that word gets back to Audio Fidelity.

Considering for a moment that their core business is CD's, SACD's and LP's it's not going to mean a lot...just saying...that's what they do...

Hopefully Hoffman won't be involved in any way.

And hopefully they will do the first two AMBROSIA albums in SACD and surround. Crime of the Century, Aja, Tusk and those two albums are in my TOP FIVE all time dream albums for SACD and 5.1. Can we email Audio Fidelity on these?

Hopefully Hoffman won't be involved in any way.

And hopefully they will do the first two AMBROSIA albums in SACD and surround. Crime of the Century, Aja, Tusk and those two albums are in my TOP FIVE all time dream albums for SACD and 5.1. Can we email Audio Fidelity on these?

Sure. I'd encourage you to email Audio Fidelity with requests like this for 5.1 SACD titles. They check the forums from time to time (as I do). But email definitely works!

On the mastering, Audio Fidelity also uses Kevin Gray (as does Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds) and the first Elliot Scheiner 5.1 SACD was mastered by award-winning engineer Darcy Proper who is very saavy with both Stereo and 5.1 Surround mastering - having done quite a bit of that for Sony Music before moving her work to Europe.

I think Steve Hoffman does some fine work (the new Peter , Paul & Mary SACD "In The Wind" is excellent). But Kevin Gray and Darcy Proper are definitely right up there - as is Bob Ludwig who did the Super Session 5.1 SACD mastering. And, of course, Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center in Boulder who works on many of these SACD projects as well.

I'd love to see them release "Long Road out of Eden" as an AF 5.1 SACD mixed by ES. You know it's in there somewhere. And that album is owned by the group, so no asking WEA or any other company for "permission".

May seem trivial but I wonder why the "520" catalog number.
That doesn't fit in the existing sequence, they're all in the 180/190 range right now

May seem trivial but I wonder why the "520" catalog number.
That doesn't fit in the existing sequence, they're all in the 180/190 range right now

I believe the reason the Audio Fidelity/Elliot Scheiner 5.1 SACDs have a separate catalog number series from the regular 5.1 Audio Fidelity SACDs to signify that the release is a product of the AF/ES partnership.

This is great news!!! I'm really glad that Marshall has helped to make this happen and I wish him the best of luck!!

Back